Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

TNT / Nascar- Kyle Petty drops the F Bomb

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
61 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 03:36 PM

In the opening lap of the TNT NASCAR race from Sonoma California, K Petty got hit by Matt Kennseth , Petty repsonded on the incar audio, on the TNT broadcast, "WHAT THE F*** WAS THAT!"
This did not get stopped by TNT, Bill Weber apologized for the language.

What happened to the delay?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,029 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 24 June 2007 - 03:49 PM

I wonder when the FCC will announce their multi million dollar fine against TNT/Turner for that word being heard on air?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   twistedT

twistedT

Icon

• Registered
  • 778 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 05:01 PM

Kyle better put a quater in the pot!!!! Oh by the way MUCH better PQ on TNTHD this week.

#4 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 05:12 PM

I wonder when the FCC will announce their multi million dollar fine against TNT/Turner for that word being heard on air?

ummm...never?

What's the FCC got to do with it in the first place???

#5 OFFLINE   uncrules

uncrules

Godfather

• Registered
  • 345 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 05:55 PM

ummm...never?

What's the FCC got to do with it in the first place???

Aren't they the ones that fined CBS for the Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction?
1 HR34-700 (w/AM21N), 2 HR24-500 (1 w/AM21), 2 HR22-100 - Whole Home DVR with DECA and broadband DECA setup
Panasonic Viera 65" TC-P65V10, Magnavox 42" 42MF337B, Sony Bravia 40" KDL40EX400, 2 Vizio 37" E370VL
Directv subscriber since 1995
Xbox 360 Elite, 2 PS3, Nintendo Wii

#6 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:07 PM

The Federal Censorship Corporation has absolutely no jurisdiction when it comes to 'obscenity' on cable networks. TNT is not using the ‘public airwaves’ so there is nothing that organization can do about it. Cable networks are not controlled by the FCC, so no reason for a delay.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#7 OFFLINE   uncrules

uncrules

Godfather

• Registered
  • 345 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:10 PM

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying that for me.
1 HR34-700 (w/AM21N), 2 HR24-500 (1 w/AM21), 2 HR22-100 - Whole Home DVR with DECA and broadband DECA setup
Panasonic Viera 65" TC-P65V10, Magnavox 42" 42MF337B, Sony Bravia 40" KDL40EX400, 2 Vizio 37" E370VL
Directv subscriber since 1995
Xbox 360 Elite, 2 PS3, Nintendo Wii

#8 OFFLINE   heavyobjects

heavyobjects

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:33 PM

The Federal Censorship Corporation has absolutely no jurisdiction when it comes to 'obscenity' on cable networks. TNT is not using the ‘public airwaves’ so there is nothing that organization can do about it. Cable networks are not controlled by the FCC, so no reason for a delay.

:contract: "Yet"

#9 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:45 PM

And hopefully never.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#10 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:00 PM

And hopefully never.

amen to that

Dish Network (February 2002-August 2005)
Mediacom (August 2005-1/27/07)
DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

Dish Network (4/14 - ??)  Hopper, Super Joey, and two Joey receivers.

#11 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:11 PM

Also the FCC just lost an appeals court decision over fines for situations exactly like this one - where the event is live and unscripted. They're called "fleeting expletives" From a news story about it:

"But only devoted celeb-watchers may remember that, in 2002 and 2003, Cher and Nicole Richie each uttered an expletive during music-awards programs. The FCC noticed, though, and held that Fox Broadcasting had thereby violated its indecency rules.

Earlier this month, the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rejected, 2-1, the agency’s decision regarding the Cher and Richie profanities. But the court didn’t stop there: It called the agency’s rules “arbitrary and capricious” and raised the question of whether the entire enforcement effort was simply outdated in an era of new screening technology and cable and satellite programming."

news.google.com for numerous stories about the case
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

#12 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:14 PM

Whats really funny about it, the audio with the F bomb was a replay of a spin out, it was not live. TNT still didnt catch it.

#13 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:43 PM

Poor Kyle I have always felt sorry for him anyway. His Father was the King of racing and Kyle has never been able to do much in a race at all :(

#14 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:32 PM

Poor Kyle I have always felt sorry for him anyway. His Father was the King of racing and Kyle has never been able to do much in a race at all :(

Always tough to follow a legend. He lost his son in a crash in 2000 as well, very tragic.

Overall a good human being that has done some great things for a lot of people via charity and what not.

He has 8 Cup wins and 173 top ten's. But his last win was over a decade ago.

#15 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:30 AM

Whats really funny about it, the audio with the F bomb was a replay of a spin out, it was not live. TNT still didnt catch it.

There probably isn't anyone screening the audio in the first place. For the few times something gets through, they'll just apologize and move on.

During the NFL playoffs last season, FOX showed a slow-motion replay of the crowd's reaction to a play, clearly showing a girl wearing a shirt that said "F*** DA EAGLES." These live broadcasts are so fast paced that there just isn't time to screen the replays for stuff like this. I don't think that NFL games are even run through a delay, aside from the Super Bowl since the Janet Jackson incident.

Interestingly enough, the "F*** DA EAGLES" incident was so big that Maxim actually brought the girl in for a photoshoot. But as far as I know, there were no fines handed out by the FCC.

#16 OFFLINE   aim2pls

aim2pls

Icon

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 04:06 AM

well NASCAR might ... they named dale jr a while back (25K i think) for saying the word "****"

#17 OFFLINE   MikeR

MikeR

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:09 AM

Funny stuff. I was watching the race last night (over the objections of my wife);

First we hear Kyle during the warmup lap finish his prayer to the crew (during a mixup while Wally Dallenbach was trying to talk to him),

Cut to the wreck...enter Kyle & the F bomb.

My wife goes...."how'd they (TNT) miss that?":lol:
HR20-100S 2 lines | Sharp Aquos LC-32DA5U HDMI | Onkyo TX-SR 604 (digital coax) | Polk Audio RC85i
HR20-700S 1 line | Sony KP-51WS510 HDMI-DVI | Panasonic SC-HT95 | Polk Audio RC85i | Networked
R15-500 connected to an old Sanyo (1 line)
Vista Home Premium | BUFFALO WLI-TX4-G54HP | Comcast 6Mbps/Motorola SB5100 modem

#18 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:38 AM

Someone should be fined. He's supposed to be a role model. Sadly, a lot of what's on TV and radio is anything goes. Guys who are "shock jocks" because they don't have the intelligance to say anything funny. I don't like hearing a lot of the garbage on the air and I certainly don't want my kids to hear it.

It's not a case of the language not being "acceptable", but people's standards have really slid.

#19 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:57 AM

I said the exact same thing in my living room as that idiot drove right into the side of Kyle. He was in California, maybe he thought it was an earthquake? No he shouldnt have said it, yes someone will probably get fined, but please dont start on some holier that thou garbage....

#20 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:59 AM

I said the exact same thing in my living room as that idiot drove right into the side of Kyle. He was in California, maybe he thought it was an earthquake? No he shouldnt have said it, yes someone will probably get fined, but please dont start on some holier that thou garbage....

It's not "holier than thou" garbage. Do you want your kids being exposed to a lot of the crud that's on the air now? I've seen guys who were into all of the off-color stuff, the language, the sex, etc. It's ruined them.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...