Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sky Angel will NOT honor lifetime for IPTV

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#51 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,371 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:15 AM

Mr. Long - the fact that lifetimers received X number of months of service resulting in a bargain rate of $X per month is not relevant here. Lifetime subscribers signed up and paid for a lifetime subscription, not a bargain monthly rate.

I am looking at it from a perspective of what a court might rule (since the specter of Christians suing SkyAngel was brought up). $299 for 10 years of service is better than most got.

Thanks for mentioning your terms were for the life of the satellite. Although they INTENDED to launch their own they certainly would not have guaranteed that they would launch their own - otherwise the term "life of the satellite" would be unneeded.

#52 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:05 PM

Sky angel is trying to "wiggle" out of the contract using the lifetime of satellite nonsense. I agree with you that the satellite is not dead and they did not fullfill their word by laucing the new satellite. I hate to sound harsh but the fact that they could not afford to do so is not our problem. maybe they should have spent less on the wothless/ not buildable land they now own!

they might be attempting to get out of the contract but so far they don't have enough of a leg to stand on that they have put ANYTHING in writing...........

#53 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,371 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:34 PM

The point of fact is that Sky Angel IS absolutely positively leaving the DBS satellite business. Nothing you can do will change that fact. The satellite they are using will be removed from service at 61.5° later this year, SkyAngel has already transferred their licenses to DISH Network. All that is left is to pull the plug. There is no going back.

Other than denial of these facts, what is your request of SkyAngel? Free service on a system where there is an incremental per-subscriber cost that will continue SkyAngel's losses? Free high speed internet paid for by SkyAngel so you can receive their programming? A cash refund of the "lifelong membership fee" regardless of how many years you have had the service?

What is the goal? Do you want SkyAngel to completely fail and go out of business?

#54 OFFLINE   Jashobeam

Jashobeam

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:22 PM

Welcome to taking a chance on a business. All of us took a chance on a company that might or might not last. I am frankly surprised they lasted this long. I have greatly enjoyed SA for the last 4 years and feel I have gotten my money's worth. In those 4 years we spent between $500 and $700, much more than lifetime subs spent to get the service for more years than we have had it. I agree with the PP that some just want SA to fail for whatever reasons. We are ending our SA service before they cease transmission and I hope SA continues to minister to those who end up going with IPTV. I have no hard feelings even though I do think they should have explained things to customer reps and customers.

#55 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:41 PM

Clearly lawsuits or other legal action would violate everything I stand for as a Christian as well as reflect Christ poorly to the world.

You sure practice a differently form of Christanity than I do. That "turn the other cheek" stuff just doesn't cut it in my world.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the powers that be at SA are counting on that very position.

Cindy

Cindy,

There is no doubt in my mind that you are right about that. But don't worry, thre are going to be enough people (like me) that are not going to take the cancelation of our lifetime subscriptions without a fight. We might not win, but believe me, in the long run neither will Sky Angel. My bet is that if they treat their lifetime customers the way we think that they are, they won't be around long.
Bill R

#56 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:03 PM

[quote name='James Long']The point of fact is that Sky Angel IS absolutely positively leaving the DBS satellite business.

You say "absolutely" and are quite probably correct. YET have you, or anyone else actually received such notice from sky angel?

the IPTV brochures do not state that they sold their license or that DBS is being cancelled! they appear to offer IPTV as an alternative much like dial up and dbs being offered by the same company

#57 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,371 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:33 PM

So what is the answer to my question?
With SkyAngel ABSOLUTELY leaving satellite what do you want them to do?

#58 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:01 PM

I will answer your question once sky angel has the decency to notify its subscribers that DBS and lifetime memberships are being cancelled.

#59 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,371 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:22 PM

Will suing the company help?

Please see the following message for a personal reply from SkyAngel -
http://www.dbstalk.c...249&postcount=1

#60 OFFLINE   Jashobeam

Jashobeam

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:22 AM

I was told. I called SA and asked. The customer rep told me that yes SA would be ending transmission as soon as the IPTV people are settled. If you want to be told, call them. It's a toll free call.

If you didn't like what SA had become programming wise, why are you upset they are no longer transmitting to your home in the near future? If you would have cancelled on them anyway, how is it a lost service to you? If you don't like SA, you aren't going to suffer once they are no longer available to you. You do get the internet, so many Christian stations are available online. Some sites even have free Christian movies to download (TBN is one). You can get a cable and plug it into your TV and watch Christian TV/movies that way.

If you have a DVD player, try Netflix. You get a few movies a month for way less than what the new SA costs. They have a ton of Christian movies, documentaries and such many of which were never available on SA. Some are free to watch online via Netflix if you have an account.

#61 OFFLINE   bjwisner

bjwisner

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:28 PM

I received the letter today. Transmission will end March 31, 2008. I still have my original contract and it looks like they haven't fulfilled their end of the agreement. No equipment failure and no new satellite. Someone pointed out that #7 says "subject to change" but change is much different that cease. It also says they "reserve the right to replace" and that is what I will insist they do. I don't have access to high speed internet in my area, but their new system should have been offered to me regardless in replacement. It appears they are changing the name of their company to get out of their legal obligations. How Worldly of them!

#62 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:52 PM

You or I should NOT have to chase down a company to find out how long they plan to stay in business!!!

Besides sky angel CS have also been telling people there would be an "offer" to lifetime members, there has been none made :(

bjwisner is correct, sky angel breached the contract when they didn't launch the satellite in 2002 as agreed per their own contract! The question now is what, if anything people plan to do about it. People without internet will be caught in the dark by this.

I may not have liked the road sky angel was following but it is our ONLY TV. Without it no news, no kids shows, no preaching.

Some of us strongly believed in the original vision of sky angel which was to replace worldly TV with Christian only TV. We believed in it enough to buy a lifetime membership. we wanted them to succeed enough to risk losing that $ if they failed. The newer watered down vision was to add to your worldly shows with SKY ANGEL.

They have failed, failed to live up to their word, their vision, their ministry.

#63 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,371 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:10 PM

Perhaps until that letter was prepared the end date wasn't known? Now they have a date and they are mailing letters. (That should help those that don't have the internet be aware that the end is near.)

As noted several times, the satellite is failing. It is only handling a fraction of the capacity that it was originally designed to handle and is scheduled for replacement by it's owner.

Do you want to spend the next three months griping about it or finding a solution? You HAVE the internet. Use it!

#64 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:39 AM

That is the point, for some there is NO SOLUTION! 4/1/08 will mean NO TV.

Right after Christmas, and right before tax time, who is going to have "extra" $$ sitting around ?

As for not saying anything sooner due to not knowing the "date" that is bogus. they sent out plenty of IPTV flyers without knowing a start up date, costs or even accurate system requirements!

If people want to switch to IPTV and can then so be it. But at least make sure you take off the rose colored glasses and read the fine print knowing sky angel can and will use it against you some day.

Any of those flyers could have, should have mentioned that when IPTV launches DBS will end.

Again they sent letters trying to charge $5 to lifetimers. A letter could have been mailed stating that they SOLD their license and were discontinuing lifetime subs sometime in 2008.

Never has it been addressed that sky angel failed to launch a new satellite in 2002. Now by their own admission they looked into it in 2006, 4 years AFTER it was scheduled to launch.

I learned a lesson from a friend not so long ago. She told me that if someone has to TELL you they are a Christian they aren't. A Christian will be known by their fruit. sky angel is dividing Christians who should be standing together as believers

#65 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,371 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:19 AM

As SkyAngel determined the dates, costs and lineup for IPTV they released details. It is odd that in one breath you scold SkyAngel for not saying enough and the next you scold them for saying too much. SkyAngel marketed IPTV in the best way they could ... building interest over time ... instead of waiting until December to spring the whole change on people at once.

I don't give SkyAngel enough credit to KNOW when they were cleaning the dormant "lifelong" accounts off the service and charging $5 for the family channels (which IS permitted under the contract quoted in this thread) that they KNEW they would be out of the satellite business. I believe that somewhere in the back of that corporate mind was denial that the end would ever come.

SkyAngel "waited on the Lord" for their new satellite - but God apparently chose a different answer. Perhaps they should have done more than waited ... but that's more of a theological question.

I've learned a thing or two as well ... judge not lest you be judged is one of them. I'm not seeing the love. I'm seeing a lot bitterness. But that, again, is more of a theological discussion.

So ... now that SkyAngel has notified (or is in the process of notifying) their customers what else is there for them to do?

#66 OFFLINE   drfreeman

drfreeman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:21 AM

No bitterness here...........
I enjoyed the service while i had it,will enjoy it until 4-1-08
there is hope that dish will add some channels
but everone should remember..........................................

RELAX

ITS JUST TELEVISION!!! :lol:

#67 OFFLINE   Jashobeam

Jashobeam

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:16 PM

I was notified by Dish that because DH is a SA customer we are not "new" Dish customers and are not eligible for any of the great discounts by dish. We would have to pay close to $300 our first month. We really wanted to go with Dish once SA was gone, but now it looks like DirecTV is our only option.

#68 OFFLINE   bjwisner

bjwisner

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:22 PM

My thought is that Sky Angel should in the very least offered a discount to their lifetime subscribers. I wouldn't have been so upset if they offered even a $5 discount off the first month. We get the same deal as everyone else and we helped build up their company. We helped make it possible for this new business to even begin. They are biting the hand that feeds them. Personally, I have NO interest in continuing with them now. It's a matter of principle. I should have known not to trust them when some of the ministries said that they were being censored by SkyAngel...that their shows were pulled off the air if it expressed a negative comment about certain terrorist groups. There is a true Christian based TV network. I'm going to their website next. So long SA!

#69 OFFLINE   krazy k

krazy k

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:43 AM

I think this is a good thing,,,,,,
SA has been terrible to deal with, there customer service is very poor.
And now Dish Network can add as much christian channels as they want.... and i doubt if they will only have them at 61.5........
Cause then that gives everyone a reason not to sub to more....
But they will put them on 110, or 119....
and they will offer everyone the new customer promo which is pretty good.
I personally cant wait for April.........
New Christian channels BABY................

#70 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,371 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 12 January 2008 - 12:02 PM

I personally cant wait for April.........
New Christian channels BABY................

We can hope!

Unfortunately the TYPE of channel on DBS that religious channels normally fall under is "public interest". The satellite companies are required to set aside a percentage of their capacity for non-commercial channel. Religious channels can easily meet the qualification of being a non-comm PI channel so the law becomes an easy way for them to get on to a satellite service. PIs pay for their space ... but the payment is limited by the law so it isn't too expensive to reach the audience.

DISH Network currently has 27 PI channels ... and thanks to the contract with SkyAngel only four of them are specifically religious: 260 TBN, 261 Eternal Word TV, 262 Angel One and 9710 3ABN. Daystar is also carried nationally on channel 263 but is not a PI channel. DirecTV currently has more religious PI channels but I would not say that they were any more friendly to religion than DISH Network ... they just were able to add channels without the contract restrictions DISH was under. (Don't forget, three religious channels were added by DISH and SkyAngel sued for their removal. Daystar eventually made it's way back on, but DISH made an attempt to add religious channels.)

As for the future ... I hope DISH sees religious broadcasting as a market they can enter. The channels won't be added as PIs unless existing broadcasters leave DISH ... but DISH could work out special deals to get the channels on the air. I hope they take the opportunity that has been given them and use it to their --- and our --- advantage.

#71 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:27 PM

which promo are you talking aobut? most have said dish considers us customers already and won't give any special offer ;(

sky angel has opened the way for glorystar and possibly dish as well. Most people will not give up tv althogh we are considering it. sky angel, lifetime was out only tv and its a big expense to have a monthly bill.

#72 OFFLINE   Spruceman

Spruceman

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:18 AM

Awww. Maybe all for the better. I always thought time spent reading the Bible is better spent than watching these televangelists-- especially the part about beware of wolves in sheep's clothing. Or is that beware of devils in angel's clothing?

#73 OFFLINE   dsharmon

dsharmon

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:57 PM

Well, Lifetime Subscriber here. I found it hard to believe tha the satellite (61.5) was at the end of it's life, so I called Dish Network and the satellite is live and well and Dish will still be using the satellite to transmit it's programming. So, in essence, the satellite is not dead and I'm not dead, therefore SkyAngel still needs to provide me programming at no cost.

Here's another tidbit that I discovered in my investigation. Dish Network will be offering a new package at the beginning of February that will consist of the same programming offered by SkyAngel. No prcing is available at this time, but it is on it's way.

#74 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,371 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:16 PM

Here's another tidbit that I discovered in my investigation. Dish Network will be offering a new package at the beginning of February that will consist of the same programming offered by SkyAngel. No prcing is available at this time, but it is on it's way.

That's good news. I wish it wasn't such a secret!

As far as the death of the satellite ... DISH will be replacing the satellite SkyAngel uses at 61.5° in a few months. The satellite that SkyAngel had a contract to be on "for the life of the satellite" is dying ... it is well documented in DISH quarterly reports. But I would not expect a CSR to report that since it doesn't affect their customer's programming.

#75 OFFLINE   bjwisner

bjwisner

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:15 AM

How is this SkyAngel IPTV helping to spread the Gospel as they claim? The only ones who will get their "message" are those who are interested enough and have enough disposable income to afford it. That limits their audience to well off people who are ALREADY Christians. How is that spreading the Gospel? Imagine if Paul charged pricey tickets each time he went somewhere to speak. How sad when we don't freely give what we have freely received. I would gladly give much more than even SkyAngel is asking as a donation monthly to support a Christian company that transmits its programming FREELY to the world.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...