Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Big10 Network

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:04 PM

IS going on air in August.

Does anyone know how D* will sell this package??? Total Choice, a la carte, sport package?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   AaronF

AaronF

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:11 PM

I believe that the Big 10 network has announced that D* is planning on putting this on the Total Choice level of programming.

From the Big 10 netowork website:

Q: Will I be able to get the Big Ten Network from my current cable system or satellite provider?

A: All cable and satellite systems throughout the U.S. have the opportunity to place the Big Ten Network on their most widely available level of service. We already have signed deals with DirecTV and AT&T that ensure the Big Ten Network is on their basic level of service (Total Choice for DirecTV). If you subscribe to either of these services, the network is already part of your basic package, and you'll be able to turn it on the minute we launch. In addition to DirecTV and AT&T, we have over 40 deals with local cable operators, all of which call for the network to be carried on their basic cable package at no extra cost to consumers
HR20-700, Samsung 46"LCD LN-s4696D, Sony 40" LCD, 5lnb slimline dish, Premier

#3 OFFLINE   Panchovilla

Panchovilla

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 02:23 PM

I must have stepped out of the room when people were talking about this - Is this going to be the Big 10 schools sports events?

#4 OFFLINE   VeniceDre

VeniceDre

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 02:28 PM

I must have stepped out of the room when people were talking about this - Is this going to be the Big 10 schools sports events?

http://www.bigtennetwork.com/

Info from their website says it all.

:D

#5 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:04 PM

I just posted on the Sports Programming board.

I think the fees from these niche sports networks are getting nuts. For the Big Ten Network, DirecTV will be paying about $50 Million per year. There have got to be better things for them to spend their money on.

DTV agreed to this when owned by News Corp (since the Big Ten Network is 49% owned by News Corp). I would hope if they had to make the deal today, they would put the channel in the sports package, rather than pay for everyone to have it.

#6 OFFLINE   tftc22

tftc22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 04:11 PM

I knew that BTN would be carried in Total Choice, but does that also include the overflow channels (when there are multiple games at the same time)? I'm hoping you won't need Sports Pack to get the additional games.

#7 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:30 PM

There are overflow channels for the Big TEN networks?

Anyway, ESPN and other channels (like MASN), the alternates are included.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#8 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,754 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:57 PM

There are overflow channels for the Big TEN networks?

Anyway, ESPN and other channels (like MASN), the alternates are included.

Yeah there will be overflows. The first 3 weeks they are carrying 5-6 games.

What a surprise!!! Jackasses in Congress are involved again!!

WASHINGTON (AP) — House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman John Dingell said Monday he was concerned about the ability of fans to watch Big Ten sporting events on a new television network debuting this summer.

Dingell, D-Mich., wrote Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany with questions about the Big Ten Network, which is expected to launch sometime in August.

The congressman said many constituents have expressed worries about being able to watch University of Michigan football games this season because none of the state's cable systems carry the network.

http://www.mlive.com...list=mibusiness

It appears to be the MLB EI fight all over again.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#9 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:09 PM

Does the Congress not like D? All the folks have to do is get D and they will have their sports network :) I like it that D is the leader in sports :sunsmile:

#10 OFFLINE   chopperjc

chopperjc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 476 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:56 AM

Does the Congress not like D? All the folks have to do is get D and they will have their sports network :) I like it that D is the leader in sports :sunsmile:

Let the market control. I am sure cable companies or independent networks can pick up the games. Tell congress to shut up and worry about important things like war poverty and climate change.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin

#11 OFFLINE   AaronF

AaronF

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:16 AM

I agree that Congress should focus on more pressing issues than the Big 10 Network. Unfortunately, Rep Dingell is from Detroit and is getting pressure from all the UofM fans to make sure they can see the football games since some are slated to be on the Big 10 network and not locally over the air.
HR20-700, Samsung 46"LCD LN-s4696D, Sony 40" LCD, 5lnb slimline dish, Premier

#12 OFFLINE   skyboysea

skyboysea

Icon

• Registered
  • 540 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:53 AM

Since BTN is going to cost, according to the article, $1.10 for subscriber in the BT area and $0.10 elsewhere and that I have no interest in it but I'll have that money pulled out of my pocket just because I want to see other channels, some oversight by Congress would be welcome. Not that this is going to happen, but I would really like to see Congress stop this legalize robbery.

#13 OFFLINE   mc1974

mc1974

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:34 PM

Since BTN is going to cost, according to the article, $1.10 for subscriber in the BT area and $0.10 elsewhere and that I have no interest in it but I'll have that money pulled out of my pocket just because I want to see other channels, some oversight by Congress would be welcome. Not that this is going to happen, but I would really like to see Congress stop this legalize robbery.

Not to venture too far off topic, but isn't this the business model for the cable industry and the exact reason why a la cart pricing won't work? If I pay $70/month for expanded basic and get 75 channels, realistically I only ever watch 20-25 of those channels in a given month. I'm helping cover the cost for the other 50-55 channels so others can enjoy them. If the cable companies offered a la cart pricing where the consumer could choose to pay only for the 20-25 channels that he/she wants, the economics of the entire industry will implode (or the price per sub will go up so that the consumer ends up paying a lot more per channel than they do now).

Think of your cable bill like a tax. You pay $X per month for Y number of channels. You may only watch a fraction of the channels, but the fact that you pay for all of them helps support them and makes it economically possible for them to exist. Just like every one of your tax dollars does not go to a government program that you directly benefit from, your cable bill acts the same way.

#14 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:34 PM

mc -- but that is also why cable companies have pricing tiers. The channels with the broadest appeal are on lower-priced tiers and channels with more limited appeal and higher costs are on higher-priced or specialty tiers.

So if I want CSTV or ESPN-U, I need to purchase the DirecTV Sports Pack. At such a high cost and mostly limited regional appeal, it would make sense to put BTN in the sports package too.

#15 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:20 PM

What is Congress objecting to? Free enterprise? There is no exclusivity here. DirecTV is carrying it without subjecting the customer to an increase. Why can't the cable companies. Whiners.

Here Comcast hiked rates by $2 for MASN but DirecTV didn't. I think Congress should investigate how a near-monopoly has to raise rates to pay for product. Sounds like they have some cash-flow issues. ;)
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#16 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,754 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:38 PM

What is Congress objecting to? Free enterprise? There is no exclusivity here. DirecTV is carrying it without subjecting the customer to an increase. Why can't the cable companies. Whiners.

Here Comcast hiked rates by $2 for MASN but DirecTV didn't. I think Congress should investigate how a near-monopoly has to raise rates to pay for product. Sounds like they have some cash-flow issues. ;)

Thats easy...the reason is because Comcrap has Congress by the balls. They all subscribe to Comcrap for one. For another Im willing to bet that Comcast has strong lobbyists....
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#17 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,483 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:28 PM

Unfortunately, Rep Dingell is from Detroit and is getting pressure from all the UofM fans to make sure they can see the football games since some are slated to be on the Big 10 network and not locally over the air.

I say don't show any UofM games.

#18 OFFLINE   skyboysea

skyboysea

Icon

• Registered
  • 540 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:24 PM

If the cable companies offered a la cart pricing where the consumer could choose to pay only for the 20-25 channels that he/she wants, the economics of the entire industry will implode (or the price per sub will go up so that the consumer ends up paying a lot more per channel than they do now).

Just one last comment because this discussion doesn't belong here.
Thank you for repeating the false information that the media industry is spreading. They do not need to pay lobbyists as long as their own customers believe anything they say and support them.

#19 OFFLINE   davidrumm

davidrumm

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:50 PM

Just one last comment because this discussion doesn't belong here.
Thank you for repeating the false information that the media industry is spreading. They do not need to pay lobbyists as long as their own customers believe anything they say and support them.

Actually think about it this way. If we are all paying to D* and D* pays the channel say $1 per subscriber, then that channel will receive 16 million from D*. Now lets go to A-La-Carte pricing. Lets say that ESPN only gets 5 million customer's to subscribe to it. Then they are going to want to raise the price to $3 or $4 for their channels. Now add that to ABC.... and now we are paying $100 for 30 channels instead of $50 for 140.
HR20-700 - Ultra 30" LCD :D
HR10-250 - Panasonic 27" SD CRT
R15-500 - Magnavox 20" CRT
R15-500 - 20" RCA CRT
Philips DVR40 - 37" GE CRT
RCA DVR40 - 27" RCA CRT

#20 OFFLINE   thumperr

thumperr

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 289 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:53 PM

I just posted on the Sports Programming board.

I think the fees from these niche sports networks are getting nuts. For the Big Ten Network, DirecTV will be paying about $50 Million per year. There have got to be better things for them to spend their money on.

DTV agreed to this when owned by News Corp (since the Big Ten Network is 49% owned by News Corp). I would hope if they had to make the deal today, they would put the channel in the sports package, rather than pay for everyone to have it.

so if your 50M per year number is correct, and there are approximately 15M subscribers over 12 months, works out to $0.28 per month.

50M/15M/12 = 0.27777

Protected By... spam firewall...And...