Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Big10 Network

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:57 PM

so if your 50M per year number is correct, and there are approximately 15M subscribers over 12 months, works out to $0.28 per month.

50M/15M/12 = 0.27777

I calculated it as $0.10 for everyone plus a $1.00 premium (total $1.10) for people living in Big Ten states.

With 16 million subscribers and 16% (2.5 MM) in B10 states, that works out to $4.2 MM per month or $50 MM per year.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   AaronF

AaronF

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:19 PM

I say don't show any UofM games.

I agree!!! Go Spartans, make the UofM fans watch the Spartan games.:lol:
HR20-700, Samsung 46"LCD LN-s4696D, Sony 40" LCD, 5lnb slimline dish, Premier

#23 OFFLINE   skyboysea

skyboysea

Icon

• Registered
  • 540 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:47 AM

Now add that to ABC.... and now we are paying $100 for 30 channels instead of $50 for 140.

What you do not realize is that you already pay $50 for 20 channels (the ones that average user actually watch). Only there are people who pay $50 for 20 channels that cost $20 and people who pay $50 for 20 channels that cost $70. Is that fair?

#24 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:57 AM

It would be interesting to go through the channels I recieve and categorize them under watch frequently, watch rarely, and never watch. Is there a place I can see the carriage fees for each channel? Then I can add the total carriage fees for my frequent+rarely channels, add an overhead figure for DTV, and see if I'm getting more or less than I pay for.

#25 OFFLINE   skyboysea

skyboysea

Icon

• Registered
  • 540 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:20 AM

Is there a place I can see the carriage fees for each channel?

I don't think there is. It is a well guarded secret because every system can have a different with a channel and they don't want to disclose it. In reality I think they keep it secret because if subscribers would know what they pay for some channels there would be an uprising.

#26 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:03 AM

It would be interesting to go through the channels I recieve and categorize them under watch frequently, watch rarely, and never watch. Is there a place I can see the carriage fees for each channel? Then I can add the total carriage fees for my frequent+rarely channels, add an overhead figure for DTV, and see if I'm getting more or less than I pay for.

If you search the web, it's available.

#27 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,631 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 June 2007 - 01:45 PM

A man dying of thirst will pay far more for a bottle of water than a man who is not even thirsty. The price is what it means to you, not what it costs to the supplier.

If you think the channels you get are not worth it, you don't buy it. It must be worth it to you or you wouldn't be buying it.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#28 OFFLINE   skyboysea

skyboysea

Icon

• Registered
  • 540 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 02:18 PM

If you think the channels you get are not worth it, you don't buy it. It must be worth it to you or you wouldn't be buying it.

If someone points a gun at you and ask for your wallet you will give it to him, but does it make it right?

#29 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:17 PM

If someone points a gun at you and ask for your wallet you will give it to him, but does it make it right?

Poor analogy since you are in NO WAY forced/required to buy D*'s service.

#30 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:55 PM

Man the sports haters have come out in force on this one.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#31 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,631 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:01 PM

Who is pointing a gun at you? I think you should report them to the police.

Once again, you don't want the product at the given price, you don't buy.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#32 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:18 PM

I'm not a sports hater. I love sports, especially college football and college basketball. I just think the B10 is obscene for demanding these fees for games which were mostly widely available (the games that lots of people wanted to watch anyway). And I am concerned what happens when the other conferences follow suit. Will we have 10 conference networks raising our television bills.

Put it on a sports tier or charge a subscription like Game Plan and Full Court.

The die-hard Purdue fans can then pay if they want to watch Eastern Ill at Purdue on Sept 8. Because I'm going to be watching Nebraska at Wake Forest, Marshall at West Virginia, or Miami at Oklahoma. Then later on that day, I will miss the BTN's exciting showing of Western Ill at Illinois so I can watch Notre Dame at Penn State (on ESPN), South Florida at Auburn, or Virginia Tech at LSU.

#33 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:35 PM

Lets say that ESPN only gets 5 million customer's to subscribe to it. Then they are going to want to raise the price to $3 or $4 for their channels.

What do you mean they (ESPN) are going to want to raise the price to $3, it's already there.

http://www.zwire.com...id=460522&rfi=6

#34 OFFLINE   skyboysea

skyboysea

Icon

• Registered
  • 540 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:41 PM

Poor analogy since you are in NO WAY forced/required to buy D*'s service.

Once again, you don't want the product at the given price, you don't buy.

True I am not forced to buy D* service, I can buy the exact same service delivered by E* or cable. But those are just the people in charge of the delivery of the good, the actual product is the channels. Can I buy NGC, Discovery, Sci-fi and another 10-15 channels of my interest anywhere? No. It's buy all or nothing.
I ask you a question. If the cable business model is go great and fair, why no other business sector has ever adopted it? Try to apply it to anything else and you'll understand why. It was the only way for cable to do business 30 years ago but the only reason why it is still in place is that everyone is making money at customer expenses. And the funny thin is that so many customers are totally fine with it.

#35 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:06 PM

D the leader in sports and may they always stay that way :sunsmile: Big Ten Fans get D :)

#36 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:09 PM

D the leader in sports and may they always stay that way :sunsmile: Big Ten Fans get D :)

So Dolly, I assume you would be fine being forced to spend $1.10 for the ACC channel, and another $1.10 for the Big East channel, and another $1.10 for the B12 and another $1.10 for the Pac10 channel, and another $1.10 for the SEC channel, and another $1.10 for the CUSA channel, and another $1.10 for the Mountain West channel, and another $1.10 for the WAC channel?

#37 OFFLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:08 PM

I say don't show any UofM games.

Oh man, you're here now too? :D
- Tony

SWiM16, H21-100, H23-600, H21-700 w/AM21, HR24-500, HR24-100 w/AM21, (3) HR20-700
All receivers networked via DECA
MediaShare using TVersity on Win 7 VM over Mac Snow Leopard

#38 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:30 PM

So Dolly, I assume you would be fine being forced to spend $1.10 for the ACC channel, and another $1.10 for the Big East channel, and another $1.10 for the B12 and another $1.10 for the Pac10 channel, and another $1.10 for the SEC channel, and another $1.10 for the CUSA channel, and another $1.10 for the Mountain West channel, and another $1.10 for the WAC channel?

Thats a silly statement. Those conferences will never go that far. You MAY see an SEC network soon though.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#39 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:21 PM

If you don't want to pay for this channel switch to Dish because they aren't going to carry this channel. It won't be much cheaper though. A lot of Midwest people over there are pissed and will lose access to some pretty decent college football games. Some of them will switch to D* so that will help spread the cost of the channel amongst more subscribers thereby justifying the high cost ($50Mil a year).

I can see the Big 10, Pac 10, and SEC demanding a high price but the other leagues would probably be regional broadcasts only. I agree that most of this stuff should be in the sports pack. For those that don't want to pay for my sports remember we are all paying for that infrastructure up there. Those satellites aren't cheap. And they may actually add a channel you want to watch like more HBO and Showtime in HD. Or MHD, VersusHD, and SpeedHD. I will definitely be watching those channels too. I'm glad I switched from Dish last year.:rolleyes:

#40 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:24 AM

Oh man, you're here now too? :D

LOL. Actually, I got here 2 days before you.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...