Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Big10 Network

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 04:50 AM

Thats a silly statement. Those conferences will never go that far. You MAY see an SEC network soon though.

there already is a Mountain West Network (but it is just regional today). The SEC is already talking about a network. The ACC and BE, especially with their national basketball appeal, would follow suit. And you don't think the P10 and B12 wouldn't also try the same thing?

that is from the conference perspective.

Now look at it from the network perspective.

Fox Sports is partnering with the B10 to form the BTN. A side effect is that there will be no B10 games on ESPN Full Court or ESPN Game Plan. If the SEC goes forward with their talk about starting a network, then those games drop off Full Court and Game Plan. So rather than risk continued loss of revenue from their subscription packages, Disney/ESPN goes on the offensive and parters with the some conferences to start networks. CBS/CSTV does the same thing with other conferences. Disney and CBS have the market strength to get national distribution of their conference networks if the model has been set by the B10.

Take what ever model the B10 and cable companies develop, and multiply it by six. Because that is the minimum that will happen. So figure out what it is worth to you to watch Indiana vs Indiana State, because that is what you will be paying for FIU-Miami and Villanova-LaSalle.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:55 AM

First of all, Comcast has ruined the Mtn to the point that schools are looking to get OUT of that contract. Comcasts demands are so high for the channel that no one wants it so thats a bad example. The only other conference other than the Big Ten that would be able to sustain a network is the SEC. The other conferences know there would be a risk if they even tried. And I'll tell you why. Revenue sharing among schools.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#43 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:26 AM

The other conferences know there would be a risk if they even tried. And I'll tell you why. Revenue sharing among schools.

Please explain.

#44 OFFLINE   mc1974

mc1974

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:02 AM

So Dolly, I assume you would be fine being forced to spend $1.10 for the ACC channel, and another $1.10 for the Big East channel, and another $1.10 for the B12 and another $1.10 for the Pac10 channel, and another $1.10 for the SEC channel, and another $1.10 for the CUSA channel, and another $1.10 for the Mountain West channel, and another $1.10 for the WAC channel?

This example doesn't work. The B10 is asking for $1.10 within the Big 10 states (and only 10 cents elsewhere). They've also said they'd be happy on a digital tier outside of the Big 10 states. No cable subscriber will ever be hit with $1.10 for 7 or 8 different conference channels -- maybe for the primary conference in their region, but not for multiple conferences. I view the B10 Net as no different than a Regional Sports Network for the midwest. And it's being offered for about 1/3 of what most RSN's charge.

#45 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:30 AM

Please explain.

Google recent stories up. There are a few conferences where the "haves" are getting more in TV money than the "have nots". At least in the Big Ten ALL revenue is shared equally among teams, even bowl money. Not so in some of the other major conferences.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#46 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:31 AM

This example doesn't work. The B10 is asking for $1.10 within the Big 10 states (and only 10 cents elsewhere). They've also said they'd be happy on a digital tier outside of the Big 10 states. No cable subscriber will ever be hit with $1.10 for 7 or 8 different conference channels -- maybe for the primary conference in their region, but not for multiple conferences. I view the B10 Net as no different than a Regional Sports Network for the midwest. And it's being offered for about 1/3 of what most RSN's charge.

Exactly
Dan Sholtis

#47 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:42 AM

Good point. A quick look of just BCS conferences indicates that some people may be hit for three $1.10 fees, since they have 3 teams in their state from different conferences. But most people would be hit with just one or two $1.10 fees. Of course everyone would be hit with the $0.10 fees for the remaining conferences.

But it could get even worse, if minor conferences get into the mix, even if they keep their channels just regional.

So let's say the Big East follows the Big Ten model, and charges $1.10 in states where they have a FB/BB school, $0.50 where they have a BB-only school and $0.10 where they don't have any school. The Atlantic 10 and MAC follow suit and charges $0.50. So someone living in Cincinnati or Philadelphia is now paying $1.10 for the B10 and BE, plus $0.50 for the A10 and MAC, plus $0.10 for the SEC, ACC, P10, and B12, for an extra $3.60 per month for stuff they used to get for free. In Florida, the total would be $4.60.

(Actually, as I run the numbers, as a Big East basketball fan in New Jersey, I hope the B10 is successful with the model and that the BE partners with ESPN to do the same thing. Although I can already watch every single BE conference BB game at no additional charge on TV or ESPN360, I would only get hit with $1.10 extra and the revenue for the Big East would be huge. In fact, the BE could lower the rate to $0.80 for football states and still bring in the same revenue at the Big Ten. And the incentive for ESPN is there since they already have cameras at all the games anyway.)

spam firewall