Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WMP11- Some New Things To Try To Get It Working With The HR20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
59 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   boilerjt

boilerjt

Icon

• Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:47 PM

After messing around trying to get WMP11 working (using XP Pro SP2), I finally succeeded. My problem was the same as almost everyone else in getting the "Unknown Device" to appearing in the WMP11 share box. Here are some things to try:

- Open control panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, then System. Scroll down the list and see if there is an error (red X) with WMPNetworkSvc in the source column. After double clicking on the error, I had the following error description:

A new media server was not initialized because WMCreateDeviceRegistration() encountered error '0xc00d2782'. The Windows Media DRM components on your computer might be corrupted. Verify that protected files play correctly in Windows Media Player, and then restart the WMPNetworkSvc service.

If you see this error message, there are two things you can try.

1) Following this linked procedure: http://forums.xbox.c...st.aspx#7738641

2) From the start menu: select Run and type in services.msc <enter>
- Double click on Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service
- Select the Log On tab
- Select Local System Account and checkmark the Allow service to interact with desktop.
- Within WMP11, turn off media sharing then turn it back on.
- At this point, the "Unknown Device" appeared.

One other thing. By default, WMP11 will only shared files from your local hard drive. Since my music and pictures are on my linux box (shared with my XP box), I had to make a registry change so that the remote files can be shared.

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

2. In the registry tree (on the left), expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SOFTWARE, Microsoft, MediaPlayer, and then Preferences.

3. Right-click HME, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.

4. Type EnableRemoteContentSharing, and then press ENTER.

5. Right-click EnableRemoteContentSharing, and then click Modify.

6. In the Value data text box, type 1, and then click OK. If you later decide to disable remote content sharing, you can repeat this procedure and change the value to 0

I hope this helps someone :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   quadgirl

quadgirl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:10 AM

I finally solved my problems in an easy way. Had ethernet plugged directly into twowire router, wmp11 installed on both wireless notebook and desktop, checked sharing property and still couldn't get menu to show photos and music even though network and internet passed tests on setup. Got up this morning and just unplugged hr20 for one minute, turned on both computers and pulled up wmp11 and after the restart, voila! unknown device shows up on both computers and I allowed them. I was then able to play music and show slideshow from each computer. Did this for at least a half hour until I pushed in too many commands to remote trying to exit (switch from Tivo has been difficult in learning to exit - not really intuitive to me). Then had to unplug as I was frozen up. Oh well - won't push too many buttons next time. And, btw, neither computer is viiv. One runs XP home and the other Windows Media Center edition XP. So, if you are getting the go ahead on the tests, then maybe try unplugging which seems to allow the HR20 to know it can now use the ethernet connection and media share options. Hope I helped since I really have been only on the helpee side until now!
quadgirl

#3 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:23 AM

boilerjt,
You have done an excellent job on resolving this issue.

TOM or EARL!

I vote this to be a sticky on solving issues with getting WMP11 to share music/photos.

Edit
I have verified these procedures do in fact work and resolve the issue. For the first time I was able to use the WMP11 as an alternative to my normal Nero 7 media server.

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#4 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,010 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 05:15 PM

Thanks for the idea. For a moment I was hopeful. But alas...It still eludes me.

#5 OFFLINE   boilerjt

boilerjt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:20 PM

boilerjt,
You have done an excellent job on resolving this issue.

TOM or EARL!

I vote this to be a sticky on solving issues with getting WMP11 to share music/photos.

Edit
I have verified these procedures do in fact work and resolve the issue. For the first time I was able to use the WMP11 as an alternative to my normal Nero 7 media server.

I am happy you finally got WMP11 working :) I was fighting with it for about 2 months until I finally got it working.

I just realized I did not give credit to where it is due. Thanks to some XBOX 360 owners who steered me in the right path :) They were fighting some of the same issues before the HR20 MediaShare existed.

#6 OFFLINE   boilerjt

boilerjt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:34 PM

I finally solved my problems in an easy way. Had ethernet plugged directly into twowire router, wmp11 installed on both wireless notebook and desktop, checked sharing property and still couldn't get menu to show photos and music even though network and internet passed tests on setup. Got up this morning and just unplugged hr20 for one minute, turned on both computers and pulled up wmp11 and after the restart, voila! unknown device shows up on both computers and I allowed them. I was then able to play music and show slideshow from each computer. Did this for at least a half hour until I pushed in too many commands to remote trying to exit (switch from Tivo has been difficult in learning to exit - not really intuitive to me). Then had to unplug as I was frozen up. Oh well - won't push too many buttons next time. And, btw, neither computer is viiv. One runs XP home and the other Windows Media Center edition XP. So, if you are getting the go ahead on the tests, then maybe try unplugging which seems to allow the HR20 to know it can now use the ethernet connection and media share options. Hope I helped since I really have been only on the helpee side until now!
quadgirl

Thanks for the tip :) I have locked up my HR20 a lot of times, usually pressing the fast forward/rewind button too many times while listening to music.

#7 OFFLINE   richlife

richlife

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:33 AM

I tried the second option below first as it looked simpler. Didn't help. The I followed the Xbox Forum instructions and everything is good. I'd suggest that if you have any files registered as DRM (Digital Rights Management) that you be selective in your DRM deletes (rather than "select all" as shown) or at least commit those media files to hard format (DVD/CD) before doing this. After using the "select all" method, the few music files I have that were obtained with DRM will no longer play on my PC. Fortunately, I had burned the CD.

After messing around trying to get WMP11 working (using XP Pro SP2), I finally succeeded. My problem was the same as almost everyone else in getting the "Unknown Device" to appearing in the WMP11 share box. Here are some things to try:

- Open control panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, then System. Scroll down the list and see if there is an error (red X) with WMPNetworkSvc in the source column. After double clicking on the error, I had the following error description:

A new media server was not initialized because WMCreateDeviceRegistration() encountered error '0xc00d2782'. The Windows Media DRM components on your computer might be corrupted. Verify that protected files play correctly in Windows Media Player, and then restart the WMPNetworkSvc service.

If you see this error message, there are two things you can try.

1) Following this linked procedure: http://forums.xbox.c...st.aspx#7738641

2) From the start menu: select Run and type in services.msc <enter>
- Double click on Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service
- Select the Log On tab
- Select Local System Account and checkmark the Allow service to interact with desktop.
- Within WMP11, turn off media sharing then turn it back on.
- At this point, the "Unknown Device" appeared.

Rich Beaudry
UNC Tar Heel '69, '75
Woodworker, grandfather, DirecTV 1994
Whole-Home Slimline w/ SWM.
A) HR20-700: NR 4aa; HDMI Audio: HDMI, TOSLINK. Res-1080i; Native- On; eSata-No; Remote-RF (2).
B) HR23-700: NR 4aa; Video&Audio HDMI. Res.-720p; Native-On; Network-No; eSata-No; Remote-IR.
C) H23-600: NR 0440; HDMI. Res.-1080p; Native-On; eSata-No; Remote-IR.
TVs: A) Sony 50" Rear Proj KDS50A2000 & VIZIO 22" LCD M220VA; B) Sony 37" Rear Proj KDF37H1000; C) Toshiba 40" LCD 40FT1U

#8 OFFLINE   Button Pusher

Button Pusher

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 971 posts
  • LocationThe Bluegrass State

Posted 05 August 2007 - 04:44 PM

I finally got my HR20 to show up as an unknown device on WMP11. I wasn't getting anything to show up after I checked the media share box and clicked ok.Than I used boilerjt's post and used the xbox link to "start" the "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Services".Than I got the 1068 error and had to make sure the other two services were started and it that was it,my HR20 showed up.Thanks boilerjt for that thread.You saved me alot of time.I suggest everyone who is still having a problem with WMP11 to make sure you follow the link to the xbox forums and give those directions a try.It worked for me.
Jeff

My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,010 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 04:50 PM

This advice did help. I did not do all the steps including cleaning out that file. Spanky_Partain stepped me through it and now I am up and running.

#10 OFFLINE   PRMan

PRMan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:23 PM

Struggled with it for 3-4 hours, trying all kinds of things with WMP11 and then Nero MediaHome 6 with no success.

I could see the machine on my DHCP server, I could ARP it on the XP box, everything. But it wouldn't show up in WMP11.

I repeated Network Setup a couple times, ensured I could see the internet, etc.

One thing I did was go to my Netgear router and set the UPNP frequency down from 30 minutes to 5. I figured if it only tries every 30 minutes, it could take a LONG time before it worked.

Anyway, I finally got frustrated and installed TVersity, and did a Red Button Reboot and it worked...with WMP11?!?

I added my picture and song folders and voila (that's the correct spelling of wahlah, for those that didn't know), and it's all there.

I have over 1400 pictures and over 3800 songs and I can Shuffle All on both at the same time no problem (HR20-100). I can play any Artist or Album no problem (or song if I drill down deep enough).

Sometimes I have problems finding stuff, but I just hit Menu and start from the top again and it works. And I press the buttons slowly and give it time to finish drawing first.

#11 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:10 AM

I can verify that it will take upgrading to Nero 7 for this to work. Nero 6 will not work.

Struggled with it for 3-4 hours, trying all kinds of things with WMP11 and then Nero MediaHome 6 with no success.

I could see the machine on my DHCP server, I could ARP it on the XP box, everything. But it wouldn't show up in WMP11.

I repeated Network Setup a couple times, ensured I could see the internet, etc.

One thing I did was go to my Netgear router and set the UPNP frequency down from 30 minutes to 5. I figured if it only tries every 30 minutes, it could take a LONG time before it worked.

Anyway, I finally got frustrated and installed TVersity, and did a Red Button Reboot and it worked...with WMP11?!?

I added my picture and song folders and voila (that's the correct spelling of wahlah, for those that didn't know), and it's all there.

I have over 1400 pictures and over 3800 songs and I can Shuffle All on both at the same time no problem (HR20-100). I can play any Artist or Album no problem (or song if I drill down deep enough).

Sometimes I have problems finding stuff, but I just hit Menu and start from the top again and it works. And I press the buttons slowly and give it time to finish drawing first.

-Mark-
3/98

#12 OFFLINE   jjunior887

jjunior887

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:19 PM

Thanks to boilerjt for these tips, it fixed my problem with not being able to see the HR20 in WMP11. Now my files are sharing the way they should be on the Hr20.

#13 OFFLINE   m_jraj

m_jraj

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:11 AM

I tired all the above with no success. What finally made it work for me was upgrading the firmware on my Buffalo Ethernet Converter to 2.53. Now I am up and running on both WMP11 and Tiversity.
HR20; HR10; 2 SD Directivos
Samsung 46" DLP
JVC RX-9010v Receiver
MX-500 (can't control sub volume on RX-9010v)
Windows Vista running iTunes, WMP11 & Tiversity

#14 OFFLINE   dnelms

dnelms

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:04 PM

I tired all the above with no success. What finally made it work for me was upgrading the firmware on my Buffalo Ethernet Converter to 2.53. Now I am up and running on both WMP11 and Tiversity.

Does running both at the same time cause any problems? I've tried both, but neither at the same time. My biggest problem is keeong the Music and Photos menu option available. Everytime is disappears, I do a check and both network and internet pass (connected) on the test screen.

#15 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:28 PM

Does running both at the same time cause any problems? I've tried both, but neither at the same time. My biggest problem is keeong the Music and Photos menu option available. Everytime is disappears, I do a check and both network and internet pass (connected) on the test screen.

It should not hurt anything by running both at the same time, but I do not recommend it. The way to do that would be to name one service a different computer name from the other.

Choose one and use it. I think you will run into other sharing issues if you try running both at the same time, like Share media as "Spanky_Music" in one and "Spankette_Music" in the other. Then you will get a different selection under the computer label on the HR20.

-Mark-
3/98

#16 OFFLINE   eyalas

eyalas

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 September 2007 - 09:37 AM

Hi guys,
I have the HR20 connected by hard wire to my router. I have a Vista box using WMP11 attached to the same network. My network connection looks good on the HR20, and I can see and play music on it, but when I select pictures/All on the HR20, all I get is "There are no files in this folder". The same is true for Video and Playlists. Can anyone clue me in as to what I need to do to fix this problem?

#17 OFFLINE   kaa1954

kaa1954

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 09:54 AM

Hi guys,
I have the HR20 connected by hard wire to my router. I have a Vista box using WMP11 attached to the same network. My network connection looks good on the HR20, and I can see and play music on it, but when I select pictures/All on the HR20, all I get is "There are no files in this folder". The same is true for Video and Playlists. Can anyone clue me in as to what I need to do to fix this problem?

Go into WMP11>tools>options>library>configure sharing
"Share my media" should be checked

#18 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 11:29 AM

Hi guys,

Make sure you have selected the My pictures folder to be shared and provided in the media share library entries...

Video files are not an option today. Maybe one day they will be...

-Mark-
3/98

#19 OFFLINE   eyalas

eyalas

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 September 2007 - 05:13 PM

Thanks for the help. Unfortunatly, this doesn't seem to be it. I have music and pictures checked for sharing to all devices, but I can only see and play my music on the HR20. No pictures available.

#20 OFFLINE   JDz

JDz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 05:14 PM

I got my hr20 700 networked with wmp11 on my laptop but I tried to share it with my desktop but it will not work. The desktop is also WMP11, both computers are wireless. One thing I noticed though when going to the Adm. control panel is my Universal Plug and Play is enabled and started on my laptop but I can't keep it running on my desktop. I have stopped and started it many times but it keeps shutting down for some reason. Anyone have a fix for this?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...