Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 with an AT&T Home Entertainment account?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   santarmn

santarmn

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 12:44 PM

I am a DirecTV subscriber though AT&T Home Entertainment. It's known as a 'bulk account' -- basically AT&T resells the DirecTV service. As a part of this deal, I had to go through AT&T rather than dealing directly with DirecTV. Unfortunately, AT&T H.E. did not have HR20's availalbe, so I was forced to go with an R15 at the time of my install.

I am looking to buy an HR20 on my own. Does anyone out there know of any issues I might have installing this reciever on my own? Does anyone have any experience with AT&T reselling DirectTV? My though is that if I purchase the HR20 on my own and set it up, things should work just fine...I just wanted to make an attempt at comfirming this before I dropped $200 on the receiver.

Thanks to anyone out there that can offer any insight!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ahintz

ahintz

Legend

• Registered
  • 253 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:13 PM

I have AT&T Home Entertainment at my apartment in Sacramento, CA. I used an HR20 with the service, but needed a dual destacker (http://www.sonorades...kers_d575d.html) to make both tuners work. With the service we have in Sacramento, we only got the main 101 satellite - this meant no HD except through OTA. Your setup may be different, but I don't know of any AT&T Home Entertainment locations that offer DirecTV HD.

I finally broke down and got a 5LNB dish installed on my balcony because I wanted to get the HD channels - plus that will be the only way to get the new HD channels that are coming in September.

--Andrew

HR44-500 with 3LNB Slimline Dish
Late 2010 27" iMac and Late 2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro
Complete Setup

#3 OFFLINE   santarmn

santarmn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:19 PM

Thanks, Andrew.

Our apartment complex was recently upgraded so that HD is available to the the DirecTV piped into our buildings. So, the signal is there, I just wanted to be sure the receiver was compatable with the service. From what you are telling me, it worked for you.

I appreciate the response!

#4 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:57 AM

...Unfortunately, AT&T H.E. did not have HR20's availalbe, so I was forced to go with an R15 at the time of my install...

You probably have a 3 LNB dish and need a 5 LNB dish like the Slimline.

- Craig

#5 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:58 AM

Also unless you pay $750 you will not own your HR20, you will only be leasing it and paying a lease fee.

- Craig

#6 OFFLINE   Rambler

Rambler

Icon

• Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:21 AM

I am a DirecTV subscriber though AT&T Home Entertainment. It's known as a 'bulk account' -- basically AT&T resells the DirecTV service.

That's interesting... Here where I'm at, AT&T is reselling the Dish Network service and offers it in conjuntion with cellular and broadband services.

#7 OFFLINE   Kevin Dupuy

Kevin Dupuy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:31 AM

That's interesting... Here where I'm at, AT&T is reselling the Dish Network service and offers it in conjunction with cellular and broadband services.

AT&T has ended up reselling both through mergers and aquisitions. (Basically, companies they've bought or that have bought them have sold both D* and E*, so they are reselling both)
Follow me on Twitter, you little stalker :-)
www.CampaignForLiberty.com
www.YALiberty.com

#8 OFFLINE   ahintz

ahintz

Legend

• Registered
  • 253 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 27 June 2007 - 12:18 PM

Thanks, Andrew.

Our apartment complex was recently upgraded so that HD is available to the the DirecTV piped into our buildings. So, the signal is there, I just wanted to be sure the receiver was compatable with the service. From what you are telling me, it worked for you.

I appreciate the response!

That is great that you have HD through your complex dish. The one thing to be careful with then is how you destack the signal from the jack in your wall to the HR20 so that it sees all the satellites it should. The destacker I linked to only works with 101, so you will have to do some research to find one that works with 101, 110, and 119. Now, if your setup sees the new MPEG4 sats (99 and 103) it is possible you have a MDU SWM (though I hadn't heard they were deploying those yet...) and you would just need to plug the cable into the FTM/Sat 1 slot on the HR20 to get both tuners. Let us know how it goes!

--Andrew

Complete Setup

#9 OFFLINE   santarmn

santarmn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:26 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the destacker. I will definitely look into that before going forward with buying the HR20. I'll repost to this thread and let you know how it goes...although it might be a few weeks. Thanks again to all!

#10 OFFLINE   AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 03:02 PM

And just because they support "HD" doesn't mean they support it all. You need to find out if they support the new MPEG4 satellites, because if they only have a Triple LNB, you won't have much hd for long.

#11 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:22 PM

That's interesting... Here where I'm at, AT&T is reselling the Dish Network service and offers it in conjuntion with cellular and broadband services.

AT&T Just started selling it's "Uverse" IP TV here. Actually had teams of AT&T techs going door to door trying to sign folks up.
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#12 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,936 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:41 PM

AT&T Just started selling it's "Uverse" IP TV here. Actually had teams of AT&T techs going door to door trying to sign folks up.

Yes, and I suspect most of those out there on a dish through them, will get targeted for the IPTV option. They are about to mass launch it in the southeast. I would not doubt they break ties with dish and D* after they get a good stand in the market.

#13 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,936 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:45 PM

And just for clarification, those were most likely not technicians. at&t/sbc is still union. Those were sales reps wrapped in a uniform. And if they were, 'shame on you guys'.

#14 OFFLINE   jktam2000

jktam2000

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 02:34 PM

I have AT&T Home Entertainment at my apartment in Sacramento, CA. I used an HR20 with the service, but needed a dual destacker to make both tuners work. With the service we have in Sacramento, we only got the main 101 satellite - this meant no HD except through OTA. Your setup may be different, but I don't know of any AT&T Home Entertainment locations that offer DirecTV HD.

I finally broke down and got a 5LNB dish installed on my balcony because I wanted to get the HD channels - plus that will be the only way to get the new HD channels that are coming in September.

--Andrew

Hey Andrew, I'm in Sacramento too at Granite Point complex. I have just the Entertainment Plus service but I am told I can get the local channels in HD just through the auxillary jack. I am able to get just one channel NBC. Is there something else I need to do or I'm not doing?

Thanks,
Jimmy

#15 OFFLINE   gadgetfreaky

gadgetfreaky

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:58 PM

I think there is a special destacker you can get that will allow you to see the other satellites. AT&T told me to get a NASMFH1 but I have no idea how well it works or what sats it will destack for you. I do know as an ATT customer I feel like I am a cave dweller in terms of HDTV/DVR technolgoies

#16 OFFLINE   RayJ

RayJ

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 07:34 AM

jkTAM200, you may be getting an OTA signal through the jack, and not a D* signal. That is what I found with AT&T HE in the Dallas area. And the signal in my case was QUAM, so it didn't even work with the OTA jack of my HR10-250. I gave up on MPEG4 HD coming through the system and put a dsh on the balcony.

#17 OFFLINE   gadgetfreaky

gadgetfreaky

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:50 AM

Hey Santarmm,

How did this go? any updates?
I am in the same situation but ATT is having trouble activating my hr20 and so far even though I am using a NAS destacker I am only seeing the odd transponders. Which seems to indicate that the destacker is really not working

#18 OFFLINE   ahintz

ahintz

Legend

• Registered
  • 253 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:09 PM

Hey Andrew, I'm in Sacramento too at Granite Point complex. I have just the Entertainment Plus service but I am told I can get the local channels in HD just through the auxillary jack. I am able to get just one channel NBC. Is there something else I need to do or I'm not doing?

Thanks,
Jimmy

Jimmy - sorry, I didn't see this post again until today. I'm at the Homecoming complex in Natomas, and at least when I setup I wasn't able to receive any HD locals through the jack. I ended up using a Silver Sensor antenna on top of the TV to receive my locals.

--Andrew

Complete Setup

#19 OFFLINE   yogi

yogi

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:34 AM

Jimmy - sorry, I didn't see this post again until today. I'm at the Homecoming complex in Natomas, and at least when I setup I wasn't able to receive any HD locals through the jack. I ended up using a Silver Sensor antenna on top of the TV to receive my locals.

--Andrew

1) You will need a NAS customer device to get HD channels.
2) You will not get HD locals (NAS does not use Sat 99).
3) You will not get Mpeg 4 or any new HD channel that use sat 103.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...