Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lifetime DVR Service - Remove Tivo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   falken

falken

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:59 PM

Anyone have the tivo lifetime service on their directv account and cancel all tivo receivers?

Right now I have the following service on my account:
DIRECTV DVR Service_TiVo, $0.00 / Lifetime.

I also have the service for the new Directv DVR service on my account being billed at "$0.00 / Multiple DVR Household".

From what i've heard I may have a time getting them to not just remove the tivo service (which would cancel the lifetime status), and then would also default the Multiple DVR Household charge back to the standard $5.99 charge for service.

Wondering if anyone had luck in removing all tivo's from their account and keeping the lifetime DVR status, and if so, how hard was it, and how does it read on your bill for the DVR service line item?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:04 PM

Since the DVR fee is $5.99 and the additional receiver fee is $4.99, it would be cheaper to just keep a Tivo active. You don't even have to have it connected, it can be in a closet or even sitting in a garbage dump somewhere.

#3 OFFLINE   falken

falken

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:12 PM

Since the DVR fee is $5.99 and the additional receiver fee is $4.99, it would be cheaper to just keep a Tivo active. You don't even have to have it connected, it can be in a closet or even sitting in a garbage dump somewhere.

That is why I was asking, if it can be managed to keep lifetime status on the account without a tivo I would rather save the $4.99, otherwise i'll just save a dollar. :)

#4 OFFLINE   cavihitts

cavihitts

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:13 PM

If you got the life time Tivo service from D*, then it will also be good for any D* dvr (R15, HR20). If you got the life time Tivo service from Tivo itself, then it doesn't apply to D* dvrs.

#5 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:14 PM

If you got the life time Tivo service from D*, then it will also be good for any D* dvr (R15, HR20).

Even if there's no Tivo on the account at all? I didn't know that.

#6 OFFLINE   cavihitts

cavihitts

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:20 PM

Yes, it appears that way. Only if it is purchased through D*, which is no longer offered. It might be that way because they are pushing their own dvrs.

#7 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:22 PM

Yes, it appears that way. Only if it is purchased through D*, which is no longer offered.

Well, not a bad deal at all for those who purchased it back in the day.

#8 OFFLINE   cavihitts

cavihitts

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:24 PM

D* has a Tivo Specialty Group if the OP would like to call and comfirm / double check

#9 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:25 PM

The only time it wouldn't make much difference would be if you're adding or have an existing HR20 on your account and you do the package where the HD programming and DVR fee are included for $69.99/mo. IIRC.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#10 OFFLINE   cvarner

cvarner

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:58 PM

I currently have a DirecTiVo box with TiVo lifetime that I purchased from TiVo, as well as a HR-20 on which I'm paying both the DVR fee and the additional receiver fee. Is this right, or am I being overcharged?

#11 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:15 PM

Is this right, or am I being overcharged?

Unfortunately for you, it's right.

#12 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,496 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:38 PM

I have no idea who I bought my lifetime from.

#13 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:44 PM

You don't recall if it was TiVo or DIRECTV that you called to purchase Lifetime? I know that in my instance it was DIRECTV.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#14 OFFLINE   TiVoPrince

TiVoPrince

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:52 PM

Way back when
before DirecTV got their act together, I paid TiVo for "DirecTV" lifetime. That TiVo is long gone but the lifetime remains. I would prefer to convert that elsewhere but no joy there...

#15 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,496 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:45 PM

You don't recall if it was TiVo or DIRECTV that you called to purchase Lifetime? I know that in my instance it was DIRECTV.

Nope, I don't remember, it was 7 years ago. I don't recall having to dial a seperate phone number, so it must have been DirecTV. I think I called and activated everything and got set up on lifetime all with one phone call.

#16 OFFLINE   rminsk

rminsk

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:29 PM

I currently have a DirecTiVo box with TiVo lifetime that I purchased from TiVo, as well as a HR-20 on which I'm paying both the DVR fee and the additional receiver fee. Is this right, or am I being overcharged?

You are being overcharged. All DirecTiVo lifetimes were transfered over to DirecTV when they took over the accounts.

BTW, the relevant info fromt the customer service agreement

If you paid a “lifetime service fee,” you will not be charged a fee for your DIRECTV DVR Service as long as you maintain television programming service from DIRECTV on the same account. If you disconnect your DIRECTV television programming service and later reconnect on the same account, your DIRECTV DVR Service will be reconnected and you will not be charged a fee for DIRECTV DVR Service.

#17 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:34 PM

You are being overcharged. All DirecTiVo lifetimes were transfered over to DirecTV when they took over the accounts.

BTW, the relevant info fromt the customer service agreement

Correctamundo answer!

You should NOT be paying twice. The "DVR Lifetime" is for -any- DVR, TiVo or not. Full stop.

What stinks for me though are the new plans. The "Choice Xtra" is the same as the former "Total Choice Plus", just more money. Why would I switch? I hope I don't end up in a situation where I have to take a tier with the DVR fee integrated in order to receive something (i.e. if there was something different between Choice Xtra and Plus DVR besides the DVR ...)

#18 OFFLINE   johnd'oh

johnd'oh

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 02:49 PM

I was lucky enough to get the Lifetime DVR service when it was offered. Over the years it has taken a few calls to the CSR's to clear up that issue, but I have never paid any more for the DVR service. Currently, I only have a HR20 and no Tivo units.

I was told many years ago that the Lifetime DVR service is not a Tivo service, but a generic DVR service and it is tied with the account, not a specific receiver. I'm sure it's a pain for them (but that's their problem), but you should be able to convince them that since you have the Lifetime service, you are entitled to free DVR service regardless if you have a Tivo box or not. Like I said, I was able to do it.

Good luck.

#19 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:17 PM

I'm sure it's a pain for them (but that's their problem)

I don't see how it would be a huge thing for DIRECTV since it's more of a retention tool than anything else. Their priority would be more that you're paying for programming rather than the $5.99/mo. DVR fee.

#20 OFFLINE   johnd'oh

johnd'oh

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:43 PM

I just meant it's a pain because it's this grandfathered thing. So it seems they always need to get supervisor approval or some other crap to make sure it stays around. I don't think it's an obvious thing to deal with in their system.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...