Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Did you drop HBO after Sopranos?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cavihitts

cavihitts

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:03 PM

I often hear about people only subscribing to HBO during the Sopranos season. Now that Sopranos is done, has anyone here dropped HBO for good or atleast for the time being? I'm just curious to know how HBO's subscriptions numbers were affected by this. Has anyone seen any articles? I guess HBO is countering with the addition of the HD channels.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:06 PM

That therory has been out there for a long time... and does have some merit to it.

DirecTV changed their premium channel policies a while ago, to account for those people that would just get HBO on Sundays for the Sopranos, and then turn it off... thus getting the day's worth prorated for about $0.40

I do think there will be a subscription increase with the new HD networks.... I know by at least 1 (me), at least for a little while.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   cavihitts

cavihitts

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:08 PM

Yeah D* has a premium service disconnect fee of $10 if you to keep a movie package for 30 days. You can swap them though. BTW Earl, your post on Harry Potter's ending is what made me think of this.

#4 OFFLINE   rogerpl

rogerpl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:08 PM

I often hear about people only subscribing to HBO during the Sopranos season. Now that Sopranos is done, has anyone here dropped HBO for good or atleast for the time being? I'm just curious to know how HBO's subscriptions numbers were affected by this. Has anyone seen any articles? I guess HBO is countering with the addition of the HD channels.

First of all I LIKED the ending of The Sopranos. I like several shows on HBO and they program them around the calendar year making it hard to cancel HBO. I would think thats the way a lot of people are "forced" to approach their subscription to HBO.

#5 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:23 PM

I have the premier package so no. Plus Entourage season is still going.

#6 OFFLINE   cavihitts

cavihitts

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:27 PM

I have the premier package so no. Plus Entourage season is still going.

Yeah I've kind of gotten into Entourage as well.

#7 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:29 PM

Yeah I've kind of gotten into Entourage as well.

If you just started watching it you should get the season's and watch it from the beginning. I think it is a great show.

#8 OFFLINE   cavihitts

cavihitts

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:30 PM

Yeah I got into at the beginning of last season or the year before. Can't exactly remember. But I will go back to the beginning.

#9 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:57 AM

No way. Never watched them (well, I tried one episode.) I catch the PG-13 version occasionally when my wife watches it on A&E and still wonder how such unappealling characters could have such appeal for everybody but me.

HBO is for movies.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#10 OFFLINE   placeman

placeman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:00 AM

On the HBO topic, has anyone been roped into John from Cincinnati? Strange show, but I'm hooked.

#11 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:13 AM

I dropped HBO after the Sopranos, but that was after the first part of the final Season. I'll wait for the box set of the 2nd part to come out.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#12 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:21 AM

I wonder how HBO, Showtime, and the others are going to do once VOD comes online.

What do you guys think?

#13 OFFLINE   liverpool

liverpool

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:36 AM

My wife loves big love and with curb your enthusiasm starting soon there is still enough to warrant the charge.

#14 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,611 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:37 AM

If this Soprano is canceled, then I might think about dropping HBO!
[IMG]http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:LL6yowUCutoixM:http://www.bunnyranch.com/Images/Bunnies/IsabellaSoprano/IsabellaSoprano1.jpg[/IMG]

#15 OFFLINE   packfan909

packfan909

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:40 AM

My wife enjoys watching Big Love (not sure why...) so even though I was ready to drop HBO after the Soprano's, she is not.

pf
DirecTV & Sirius Subscriber - Hardware on Profile
HR20-700 CFG: OTA Y | LAN: Bridged | 1080i Str | Rem IR Harmony 676 | HDMI
HR20-700 CFG: OTA Y | LAN: Wired | 480p Str | Rem RF RC24 | Component
HR21-700 CFG: OTA Y | LAN: Wired | 1080i LB | Rem RC32 | Component
uPnP Software: TVersity Pro BETA 1.5
Internet: Fiber 10MB via Surewest, Airlink+ Router

#16 OFFLINE   pez2002

pez2002

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:21 AM

I have been an HBO watcher since 1991 And have no reason to cancel

I have a package on cable i get hbo/sho/starz for $93 a month not bad for 3 channels :) so there is allways something on to watch
Mike
http://www.myspace.com/wnnnnnnnbc

xm sub as of/12/31/05

howard stern on xm channels 100-101 :)

#17 OFFLINE   DocBM

DocBM

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:39 AM

On the HBO topic, has anyone been roped into John from Cincinnati? Strange show, but I'm hooked.

I'm hooked. It is truly a strange show, yet I find myself getting anxious every Sunday around dinner time.

#18 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,249 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:58 AM

Did you drop HBO after Sopranos?

I didn't. I've had all four premium movie packages since I first got sat back in 2000.
Now I'm on cable with even more movie channels -- I want them all! :D

I don't understand why anyone would cancel HBO just because the Sopranos went
off the air. On the other hand, I never understood why people would want to watch
the program in the first place. :shrug:

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#19 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 12:18 PM

Nope. Still have HBO (along with all the other movie channels) and have no intention of canceling. Only subscribed for The Soprano's but there's a lot of good programming on there and I don’t think I could make it without HBO Comedy. The Soprano’s and Six Feet Under were the only two HBO original series I followed and I’ll be waiting for the next big one.

I still can't believe The Soprano’s are gone, and I still can't believe the ending, or lack thereof.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#20 OFFLINE   Ken984

Ken984

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 12:23 PM

Never watched the Soprano's, but I did cut HBO off after they canceled Deadwood. If they make the movies like they said I will pick it back up. Or when the 11 HD channels go online that could make me jump back on.

Samsung 65-es6550-HR44-700-Denon AVR-2311CI, XBOX360, Win Media Center 7, Samsung BD-D6500

spam firewall