Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Did you drop HBO after Sopranos?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:56 PM

My wife loves big love and with curb your enthusiasm starting soon there is still enough to warrant the charge.

I'm hooked on curb your enthusiasm. I've watched for 3 years. HUGE!!!!!!!!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Fourdogs

Fourdogs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:58 AM

Never watched the Soprano's, but I did cut HBO off after they canceled Deadwood. If they make the movies like they said I will pick it back up. Or when the 11 HD channels go online that could make me jump back on.

Same here. I watched the last episode of the Soprano's just to see what all the hype was about. I didn't care for it. I subscribed to HBO for Deadwood, the best show ever IMHO. Now it looks like the promised Deadwood movies will not be made. Jim Beaver is a regular poster on alt.binaries.multimedia.deadwood and he said that it doesn't look promising.

#23 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:46 PM

Didn't drop it after Soprano's because of Entourage. I do, however, drop it if there's no series currently running. I didn't have HBO for about 3 or 4 months over the winter when there were no new episodes of any of the shows we watch.

We never watch movies on HBO, just the series. Now that Soprano's, Deadwood and Rome are done, looks like we're down to Entourage, CYE and Extra's. When there's a lull in those three, I'll be cancelling again.

#24 OFFLINE   NickD

NickD

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:59 AM

I didn't drop it either. I have the premium package. Plus I have been watching HBO ever since I was a kid and you needed a roof top antenna to watch it.
Nick

#25 OFFLINE   rogerpl

rogerpl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 12:06 PM

I didn't drop it either. I have the premium package. Plus I have been watching HBO ever since I was a kid and you needed a roof top antenna to watch it.

When and where could a rooftop antenna pick HBO?

#26 OFFLINE   NickD

NickD

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:13 PM

When and where could a rooftop antenna pick HBO?

This was when I was a kid. My dad had an antenna on the roof from a company called ACS I think. This was back in the 80's The only choices we had were either Prism or HBO. Prism was for the sports people and HBO was for those wanting movies. This was before cable was available in our area at the time.
Nick

#27 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,699 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:51 PM

This was when I was a kid. My dad had an antenna on the roof from a company called ACS I think. This was back in the 80's The only choices we had were either Prism or HBO. Prism was for the sports people and HBO was for those wanting movies. This was before cable was available in our area at the time.

We had the same thing when I was a kid up in Alaska, it was called Spectrum, it was a microwave dish on your roof, but we only had HBO though, no sports channels. :D

#28 OFFLINE   DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 02:52 PM

I watch movies more for the shows than the movies:
Entourage (great!)
Curb Your Enthusiasm (great!)
The best show on television that no 1 is watching: The Wire!!!
I've been trying John from Cincinatti...weird, but still trying it.
Big Love's good.

In the past, they've also had Deadwood, Sex and the City, Six Feet Under, etc.

The new movie every Saturday night is also good.

Can't wait for HD for all of them, but most of their shows are already in HD
DirecTV since 2001, NFLST, EI, and as of 2/8/07, new AU-9 with 2 HR20-700S (1 HDMI, 1 component/RCA), 6X8 multiswitch, and Samsung LNS3252D 32" LCD...eSata Seagate 750GB...12/30/07 new HR20-700S component connected to Phillips 42PFL5332D 42" LCD and HDMI to a little 20" Dynex LCD

#29 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,120 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:28 PM

Actually, I subscribed!

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#30 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:51 PM

I have to wonder what the next big HBO series will be. How can you top The Soprano's? Sex & The City, Six Feet Under and The Soprano’s were all defining series for HBO, it’s going to be tough from them to make a comeback in the original series department and try to top their own standards. I do have to hand it to HBO, they know when to call it quits. Often you get these shows that keep on going and going because they’re popular but it goes down hill. I don’t think the phrase ‘Jumped the shark’ applies to any of those three series and extremely loyal fanbases have been built up.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#31 OFFLINE   pez2002

pez2002

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 05:19 PM

yet you forgot dream on & the larry sanders show
Mike
http://www.myspace.com/wnnnnnnnbc

xm sub as of/12/31/05

howard stern on xm channels 100-101 :)

#32 OFFLINE   richiephx

richiephx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 05:43 PM

Instead of dropping HBO, I think people should consider dropping Showtime if they have it to protest all the programming popups that SHO has during programs. It is so TNTesque. The only difference is SHO is a premium pay channel where TNT is a commercial channel. Premium channels should be uninterrupted and commercial free. I dropped Showtime because of their disregard for their subscribers and I don't watch TNT anymore because of all the garbage they interrupt program with and their distorted formats. I wish more people would do the same to send a strong message to them.

#33 OFFLINE   Dr_J

Dr_J

Icon

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:43 AM

I often hear about people only subscribing to HBO during the Sopranos season. Now that Sopranos is done, has anyone here dropped HBO for good or at least for the time being?

Nope. :)

#34 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:51 AM

...actually I picked up HBO after Sopranos. Never did get into it.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#35 OFFLINE   autumnghost

autumnghost

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:31 PM

Instead of dropping HBO, I think people should consider dropping Showtime if they have it to protest all the programming popups that SHO has during programs. It is so TNTesque. The only difference is SHO is a premium pay channel where TNT is a commercial channel. Premium channels should be uninterrupted and commercial free. I dropped Showtime because of their disregard for their subscribers and I don't watch TNT anymore because of all the garbage they interrupt program with and their distorted formats. I wish more people would do the same to send a strong message to them.

One reason not to drop Showtime: Weeds. New season starts Aug. 13th. Agreed, the bug I can do without. But as long as Weeds is on every week, won't be bothered by it much then.

#36 OFFLINE   NickD

NickD

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:01 PM

One reason not to drop Showtime: Weeds. New season starts Aug. 13th. Agreed, the bug I can do without. But as long as Weeds is on every week, won't be bothered by it much then.

Another reason is Dexter, can't wait for it to come back on.
Nick

#37 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:49 PM

And don't forget Penn & Teller. I love those guys!
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#38 OFFLINE   brucec32

brucec32

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:17 PM

Like a bad habit! Actually they made me wait 30 days since I had recently upgraded a receiver. Some strange rule they have. But then I did it. I had bored with that channel already but waited to see how the Sopranos ended. Zero interest in the strange surf show they have on and Curb stank it up the last couple of seasons. Deadwood and Rome and Extras are gone, and I haven't watched an HBO movie in a long time.

I also got tired of the avant garde and liberal shows they run. I prefer my entertainment w/o being preached to.

I wouldn't want to own stock in that company right now.

Oh yeah, for the last 12 months I'd gotten it free because of an installation screw up. I had just started paying for it again when I dropped it.

#39 OFFLINE   allargon

allargon

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:47 PM

I'm dumping HBO after the "Big Love" season finale. My girlfriend loves that show. I'm going to be dumping all of my pay channels except Showtime to let Dish know that I don't appreciate them playing games with the broadcast resolution. (Note: I thought it was better. I didn't realize that I had changed a few of my TV settings.)

#40 OFFLINE   jwd45244

jwd45244

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:52 PM

On the HBO topic, has anyone been roped into John from Cincinnati? Strange show, but I'm hooked.

I'm hooked also. I set it up as a series link so I would not miss it when I went on vacation.
-- Jim D.
DirecTV sub. since 1998
Slimline w/ SWM LNB---- (mounted on CommDeck) ----> SWM Power Inserter -----> CM4002IFD Diplexer
Winegard OTA Antenna ------------------> CM7777 OTA Amplifier ----------------> CM4002IFD Diplexer
CM4002IFD Diplexer ----> STS-4 splitter ----> HR20-700 - Vizio VO32L, HR20-700 - SDTV, HR21-200 (w/ AM21) - Vizio VX42L, HR21-200 - SDTV; CM4001IFD as splitting diplexer on all legs; All networked

spam firewall