Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Quantity vs Quality and a little HD-Lite

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
104 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,357 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:47 PM

So ... there is no signal level that affects PQ?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:30 PM

Come on Jeremy, if your signal is poor enough that you're losing too many bits you're not going to have excellent PQ!

OK, but you're talking about having a signal so bad that the FEC fails and the picture starts breaking up. You're just being difficult now, because I know that you know what I'm talking about.

#103 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,357 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:59 PM

Just looking for an explaination to why one guy sees the signal as unwatchable and another sees it as fine - other than one guy being a liar. Signal quality is a variable.

#104 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 10:00 PM

other than one guy being a liar.

Why are we throwing away that possibility? :lol:

#105 OFFLINE   PerryH

PerryH

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:21 PM

I think I've seen everything that is ever shown on MHD (since the whole channel is an endless loop) over at my girlfriend's apartment on Comcast cable. The PQ is poor - lots of blocks in dark areas. The picture is especially bad where there is a lot of movement.

That being the case I would guess that the problem is with the source and not the transmission method in this particular instance.

spam firewall