Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Future of Sunday Ticket

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mluntz

mluntz

Icon

• Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:48 AM

How much longer is D*'s contract for Sunday Ticket? I'm just curious because if I upgrade my equipment, I have to absorb the cost of that, plus the new 2-year agreement is the big issue.

Fios is now available in my area, and if it wasn't for ST, I would probably seriously consider switching.

I know I can suspend my account, but I would still have to endure all of the above.

DirecTV Customer since 1995
Directv/ HD-DVR HR20-700
Directv/ HD-DVR HR24-500 (2)
H24-700
Slimline 5 Dish
Premiere package holder
NFL Sunday Ticket Subscriber

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   grate88

grate88

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:50 AM

at least two more years - it's between 2010 and 2012 if I recall correctly.

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:51 AM

And you can almost put money down that DirecTV will do what ever they have to, in order to keep it exclusive after that.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:51 AM

I think it is 2010 or 2011.

#5 OFFLINE   grate88

grate88

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:52 AM

From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia...._Sunday_Ticket:

Currently, DirecTV has an exclusive deal with the NFL, making them the sole provider of NFL Sunday Ticket in the United States until the contract expires in 2010, though past history suggests DirecTV will renew the contract by then in order to maintain one of its key marketing pitches to potential subscribers. [1] Prior to the NFL's latest television deal, other satellite and cable providers were allowed to bid on the rights to carry NFL Sunday Ticket if they agreed to carry the NFL Network. However, DirecTV still won exclusivity for the package, bidding over $700 million a year to do so.

Due to limited bandwidth on DirecTV's satellites, DirecTV drops the HD feed for TNT on Sundays to open up more room for NFL telecasts in HD. DirecTV also drops PPV programming, NewsMix, SportsMix and the Kids Mix Channels, however DirecTV restores these services after the Sunday games are over. It is rumored that some of NewsCorp's foreign satellite companies, such as BSkyB, may offer NFL Sunday Ticket within the next couple of years.

#6 OFFLINE   CTJon

CTJon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:52 AM

However, at the rate that the NFL is carrying games other than on the two general Sunday slots the package becomes less valuable and more expensive. With Sunday night, Monday night, NFL network games and more other nights we will get fewer and fewer games. Then trying to charge extra for HD - they can charge extra for the other features but NFL HD at 100 isn't that much cheaper than the whole HD package a year.

#7 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 03:47 PM

I think with all the fuss over the Baseball exclusive that when D tries to get the NFL again it will be the same mess all over again :rolleyes:

#8 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:25 PM

I think with all the fuss over the Baseball exclusive that when D tries to get the NFL again it will be the same mess all over again :rolleyes:

Nah, different story. The "big deal" with MLB was that it has been on cable and Dish for years and thus there would be people that would lose it. NFL ST has only been on DirecTV and no other provider other then C-Band waaaaaay back in the day.

#9 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:46 PM

Besides, the NFL gets away with a ton of crap but MLB never does. You think the NFL isn't full of steroids? But Congress made them the poster boy of drug testing.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#10 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:12 AM

Besides, the NFL gets away with a ton of crap but MLB never does. You think the NFL isn't full of steroids? But Congress made them the poster boy of drug testing.

MLB has an anit-trust exemption from Congress, the NFL doesn't. This makes MLB have to walk on glass a lot more then the NFL. NFL can pretty much tell Congress to pound sand so long as they aren't doing anything illegal. And selling their out of market package to the highest bidder certainly is not illegal.

#11 OFFLINE   james2006

james2006

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 06:36 PM

MLB has an anit-trust exemption from Congress, the NFL doesn't. This makes MLB have to walk on glass a lot more then the NFL. NFL can pretty much tell Congress to pound sand so long as they aren't doing anything illegal. And selling their out of market package to the highest bidder certainly is not illegal.

I thought the NFL got an anti-trust exemption as part of their merger with the USFL...are you sure they don't have one also?

#12 OFFLINE   thumperr

thumperr

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 289 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:48 PM

The USFL never merger with the NFL. The USFL went bankrupt.

#13 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:52 PM

In a way, they are testing the drugs....like for quality. :lol:
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#14 OFFLINE   convem24

convem24

Icon

• Registered
  • 642 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:06 PM

mluntz - to more precisely answer your question, your upgrade and commitment would be a minimum of 24 months (less than the exclusivity of NFLST) and about 100 buck unless you can work a D* CSR to give the upgrade ot you free. Plus with the additional HD channels coming out why wouldn't you want to upgrade. D*'s rates are typically better than most of the cable industry. Also once you get into an H20 or HR20 it is leased and D* will have replace/upgrade you without major hit to your wallet (typically just the shipping charge). It is a much better system plus install is free regardless now (except for custom or complex install). I don't know your history with D* but they typically will work with a good customer.

#15 Guest_rcoleman111_*

Guest_rcoleman111_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2007 - 04:07 PM

The DirecTV contract for NFL Sunday Ticket expires after the 2010 season. The contract for 2003-7 called for exclusive rights for 2003-5 and non-exclusive rights for 2006-7. Rather than have the cable companies get access to the package in 2006, DirecTV negotiated a new contract that gave them exclusing rights through 2010. To keep the deal exclusive, they had to increase the fee from $400 million per season to $700 million. You can bet DirecTV will do whatever it can to extend its exclusive rights before the current contract expires, so don't count on getting it through FIOS.

As to the comment about MLB's antitrust exemption, that really doesn't amount to anything these days. It was a legal precedent that made baseball's reserve clause legal. The reserve clause really doesn't exist anymore and the impact of MLB losing its antitrust exemption would be negligible.

#16 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:38 AM

The DirecTV contract for NFL Sunday Ticket expires after the 2010 season. The contract for 2003-7 called for exclusive rights for 2003-5 and non-exclusive rights for 2006-7. Rather than have the cable companies get access to the package in 2006, DirecTV negotiated a new contract that gave them exclusing rights through 2010. To keep the deal exclusive, they had to increase the fee from $400 million per season to $700 million. You can bet DirecTV will do whatever it can to extend its exclusive rights before the current contract expires, so don't count on getting it through FIOS.

As to the comment about MLB's antitrust exemption, that really doesn't amount to anything these days. It was a legal precedent that made baseball's reserve clause legal. The reserve clause really doesn't exist anymore and the impact of MLB losing its antitrust exemption would be negligible.

rc,
That exemption is very important to MLB. It also allows them to stop teams from moving to other cities without league permission. That's something the NFL would love to have...and the reason they lost to Al Davis when he moved the Raiders in the early 80s.

Right now I'd bet against the deal remaining exclusive in 2010...but it's all a wild guess as we don't really know where the market will be by that time.

#17 OFFLINE   noneroy

noneroy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:08 PM

How much longer is D*'s contract for Sunday Ticket? I'm just curious because if I upgrade my equipment, I have to absorb the cost of that, plus the new 2-year agreement is the big issue.

Fios is now available in my area, and if it wasn't for ST, I would probably seriously consider switching.

I know I can suspend my account, but I would still have to endure all of the above.

You've pretty much summed up why D* won't let it go. The NFL loves exclusive contracts (EA Sports, I'm looking at you). I would have probably stuck with cable or gone to AT&T's U-Verse by now if it weren't for ST. If ST left D* they would probably lose a lot of customers.

If you want this to change, you should look into whatever bill Arlin Spector was sponsoring. I guess he's a huge Eagles fan and lives in a house without a southwest facing view :lol: :lol: He's saying that it's a monopoly and wants it broken up....but honestly, do you think your local cable co. has the bandwidth to actually provide Sunday Ticket? In HD? FIOS, sure...but Comcast? pfft, if they had the room, they'd have more channels.

#18 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:42 PM

While I would absolutely love to see InDemand get NFL ST, if it were to happen the next time they're able to bid, it would probably be upwards of $300/season . I love the Titans and in hindsight I should have subscribed to Sunday Ticket when I had DirceTV, but hey ya never know, if InDemand can pony up the cash and fight for consumers and fans, and do the awesome job like they did with MLB EI, I just might say screw it and order. NFL ST on cable that would be too cool. Watching the Titans almost make .500 in HD on cable, way too cool. :)

The price of Sunday Ticket has really gotten of hand. Three of the guys at work had it, two of then canceled last year and the other will not be renewing this year.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

spam firewall