Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Nascar Hotpass Free Preview July 7th

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:09 PM

Free Preview will be July 7th at Daytona for the Pepsi 400.

Some major drivers are scheduled to be on

Jeff Gordon
Tony Stewart
Dale Earnhardt Jr.
Carl Edwards
Mark Martin

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:15 PM

:beatdeadhorse:
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#3 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:35 PM

:beatdeadhorse:

Why?

This is an announcement of an upcomming freeview...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:41 PM

Free Preview will be July 7th at Daytona for the Pepsi 400.

Some major drivers are scheduled to be on

Jeff Gordon
Tony Stewart
Dale Earnhardt Jr.
Carl Edwards
Mark Martin

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. Daytona is my favorite track. Do you know what channels thats on? You're funny?:hurah:

#5 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:51 PM

I'm not a NASCAR fan at all. However, this could look pretty slick. Is it in HD at all?

#6 OFFLINE   Tom_Oliver

Tom_Oliver

Godfather

• Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:24 AM

No.

I'm not a NASCAR fan at all. However, this could look pretty slick. Is it in HD at all?

#7 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 06:06 AM

Why?

This is an announcement of an upcomming freeview...

Let me clarify. Satellite Racer is not beating a dead horse.

D* is beating the dead horse.

It looks more and more to me that they did not get the response to this package that they had projected. People just must not be buying the package in the expected numbers from what I am seeing D* doing.

This is like the third time they have re-packaged and re-priced Hot Pass to try to get people to buy it for at least the remainder of the season and at least the second freeview of the package they have offered. And I'm not even paying close attention because NASCAR is of no interest to me. They even continue to televise those ads with Little Ego pimping it 4+ months after the start of the season.

It's like, enough already. They're starting to look a little desperate. It's just not as popular an offering as they thought it would be. The folks who want it pretty much already have it.

I know people who are big NASCAR fans...to the point they even participate in fantasy NASCAR leagues (who knew such a thing even existed?) and when I talk about the NASCAR Hot Pass to them the reaction is pretty uniformly Ho-Hum.

I guess they want to try another marketing surge rather than cut and run.

The dead horse is Hot Pass, and D* is the one beating it.
--Frank Zappa

#8 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 07:39 AM

Let me clarify. Satellite Racer is not beating a dead horse.

D* is beating the dead horse.

It looks more and more to me that they did not get the response to this package that they had projected. People just must not be buying the package in the expected numbers from what I am seeing D* doing.

This is like the third time they have re-packaged and re-priced Hot Pass to try to get people to buy it for at least the remainder of the season and at least the second freeview of the package they have offered. And I'm not even paying close attention because NASCAR is of no interest to me. They even continue to televise those ads with Little Ego pimping it 4+ months after the start of the season.

It's like, enough already. They're starting to look a little desperate. It's just not as popular an offering as they thought it would be. The folks who want it pretty much already have it.

I know people who are big NASCAR fans...to the point they even participate in fantasy NASCAR leagues (who knew such a thing even existed?) and when I talk about the NASCAR Hot Pass to them the reaction is pretty uniformly Ho-Hum.

I guess they want to try another marketing surge rather than cut and run.

The dead horse is Hot Pass, and D* is the one beating it.

I guess I see it more as them tweeking the original package, during it's first year to come to close to what people want out of it...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   twistedT

twistedT

Icon

• Registered
  • 778 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 07:50 AM

Yes Earl, Hotpass has alot more features now then it had when it started. A few of my friends at work are interested in it and now they can check it out. One friend is opting into D* just because of Hotpass. A few are angry because they have E*. I think MLB EI is having a half season preview in July too. Good stuff for sports fans.

#10 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:43 AM

I guess I see it more as them tweeking the original package, during it's first year to come to close to what people want out of it...

Fair enough. It is a new product and could stand to be nurtured a bit I suppose.

I think I need to make more of an effort to say something nice in here once in a while. I can see where I'm really being perceived as a malcontent because all I do is point out the negatvies and it probably only dilutes what I see as valid critiques in the eyes of the others here.

Uh, let's see... "How bout that Ozzie Guillen?" No...that's not it.

I'll have to get back to you on that one. ;)
--Frank Zappa

#11 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:00 AM

Extra Innings and NBA League Pass also both do first-week free views and then another free week around their All-Star breaks. Hotpass is simply following the same model. I think the hockey package is similar but I don't watch it and can't confirm.
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

#12 OFFLINE   5678YN

5678YN

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:07 AM

I thought this was going to be really cool so I subscribed but haven't watched since about the third week. I was under the impression it was going to be pretty much simply the drivers communicating with their pits and in car camera shots pretty much all the time w/o all the commercials and announcer gibber gabber but not so. Plus didn't care for all the different picture in picture windows.

#13 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 02:29 PM

Let's see...watch the race in HD for free or pay $$$ for a fuzzy PIP mess that wastes 1/2 my screen...
Ill wait for the HD version next year.

#14 OFFLINE   twistedT

twistedT

Icon

• Registered
  • 778 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 06:31 PM

Let's see...watch the race in HD for free or pay $$$ for a fuzzy PIP mess that wastes 1/2 my screen...

Very true, if it wasn't going hd next year, I would have to think twice about renewing. But it also has a lot of very useful features. When I go to the race I really enjoy listening to the scanner to get the inside scoop with the team. With the in car audio you can really get into what they are trying to do, what changes they are trying, and the plan they are working to get to the front. It is really amazing to hear what a team like Gordon's or Johnson's trying to do and how they plan out the race. To hear Tony's reaction to different situations on the track. Most of the best laid plans happen during the comercials, with hot pass you can listen to team audio thru the comercials. At any time you can check the position of any driver, the time they are behind the leader, and what their points total are at that time in the race. Also After the race ends D* doesn't have to go to comercials any more so they can continue the coverage of the burn outs. For instance when Gordon was doing his burnout and all the Junior fans were throwing beer cans D* never cut away. You could listen to Gordons comments about it. One of his comments was " Wow that guys got a good arm, he just hit me at the entrance to pit row!!" Anyways for a real NASCAR fan all this stuff is Awesome, you can really get into the race. Of course its not every race its that good, it depends on what drivers you like. Over all the Hotpass team has done a Great Job, I think its been well worth the 99 bucks (actually I got the 80 dollar deal). I think its going to be Awesome next year in HD, I can't wait!

#15 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 07:37 PM

I thought this was going to be really cool so I subscribed but haven't watched since about the third week. I was under the impression it was going to be pretty much simply the drivers communicating with their pits and in car camera shots pretty much all the time w/o all the commercials and announcer gibber gabber but not so. Plus didn't care for all the different picture in picture windows.

Same here. I'm a HOTPASS subscriber that wishes he wasn't. It looks like crap and it sound like crap. So.....it must be.......CRAP.

But hey they did their job taking my money and not giving it back after I voiced my dissatisfaction with their product. Maybe I would have tried it again next year if they would have given me my hard earned money back, but now I'll never give them another cent for this product regardless of what they do with it from now on.

#16 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:10 PM

Very true, if it wasn't going hd next year, I would have to think twice about renewing. But it also has a lot of very useful features. When I go to the race I really enjoy listening to the scanner to get the inside scoop with the team. With the in car audio you can really get into what they are trying to do, what changes they are trying, and the plan they are working to get to the front. It is really amazing to hear what a team like Gordon's or Johnson's trying to do and how they plan out the race. To hear Tony's reaction to different situations on the track. Most of the best laid plans happen during the comercials, with hot pass you can listen to team audio thru the comercials. At any time you can check the position of any driver, the time they are behind the leader, and what their points total are at that time in the race. Also After the race ends D* doesn't have to go to comercials any more so they can continue the coverage of the burn outs. For instance when Gordon was doing his burnout and all the Junior fans were throwing beer cans D* never cut away. You could listen to Gordons comments about it. One of his comments was " Wow that guys got a good arm, he just hit me at the entrance to pit row!!" Anyways for a real NASCAR fan all this stuff is Awesome, you can really get into the race. Of course its not every race its that good, it depends on what drivers you like. Over all the Hotpass team has done a Great Job, I think its been well worth the 99 bucks (actually I got the 80 dollar deal). I think its going to be Awesome next year in HD, I can't wait!

I thought that Jeffy moment was pretty cool too especially that reaction. :D I was not much of a NASCAR fan previously but I ordered Hot Pass to check it out and I gotta say it is pretty damn cool.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#17 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:00 AM

Fair enough. It is a new product and could stand to be nurtured a bit I suppose.

I think I need to make more of an effort to say something nice in here once in a while. I can see where I'm really being perceived as a malcontent because all I do is point out the negatvies and it probably only dilutes what I see as valid critiques in the eyes of the others here.

Uh, let's see... "How bout that Ozzie Guillen?" No...that's not it.

I'll have to get back to you on that one. ;)

Just to clarify, almost every sports package on D* has at least one if not two Free Previews. NASCAR HotPass is no exception. Beginning of the season and the middle of the season. NBA, NHL, MLB, NASCAR all have 2 per year. NFL and Full Court at the beginning of the year.

As for the HotPass pricing, again it follows the same tract as other sports packages.

Early bird is the best value and offered before the season starts. Then a full season price kicks in. Half season price at half season and a "playoff price" (in this case the Chase for the Cup) price will go into effect around September. Those latter options are for folks that may only wish to purchase smaller chunks of the season or do not wish to outlay a higher total dollar amount (of course that also means missing many races as well).

The only difference with this package vs other sports packages is the 3/4 season price offer that was in effect 2 months ago until recently. The NASCAR season is very long, 41 weeks. The longest in all of American Sports by a ton. As a result, having a "full season" price in effect for nearly 20 weeks doesn't make a ton of sense.

I hope that helps. Enjoy the Free Preview.

#18 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 04:56 AM

Back when Indemand had the INcar package they offered the 2 Daytona races in free preview.
As far as Directv changing the prices, why wouldnt they? Why would anyone want to pay $99 for half the season, they are reducing the price the price like they do other sports packages that get further into the season.

Im not all that crazy about the camera angles, Id rather have the incar camera or roof cam full screen, and had have the network feed in the top corner.

Just like indemands incar, but add the network feed to the top corner.

#19 OFFLINE   vollmey

vollmey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:22 AM

Yep, that's the way I am. If it's in HD then I would not have problem with buying it. No HD means no $'s from me.
Dave

#20 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:10 AM

Yep, that's the way I am. If it's in HD then I would not have problem with buying it. No HD means no $'s from me.

It will be in HD next year most likely.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...