Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Nascar Hotpass Free Preview July 7th

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Tom_Oliver

Tom_Oliver

Godfather

• Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 07:31 PM

They put Harvick on Stewart's channel, but then he promptly got wrecked. lol

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 07:33 PM

Missed that interview, been watching the Gordon channel.

First impressions: Very cool, I would pay for it right this second if it was in HD, heck I might pay for it anyway. The fact that you can switch audio is nice.

I'll have think about buying it this week for the rest of the season.

Basically it's $59 for the last 18 races....in September it will drop to $49 for the last 10 races...the best value is to get it now obviously.

Next year it will definitely be in HD...we were all waiting to make sure D10 got off and in orbit last night, which it did successfully (a lot of collective breaths being held). :D

Nice job by Boeing and the rest of the flyboys to get that 702 up into orbit.

#43 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 07:34 PM

They put Harvick on Stewart's channel, but then he promptly got wrecked. lol

We have a list of 3 drivers deep per channel...we don't go beyond that (at least not on paper). This could get interesting tonight. We're already on #3 for one channel with 65% of the race still to be run. Yikes

#44 OFFLINE   Tom_Oliver

Tom_Oliver

Godfather

• Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 07:37 PM

Yeah, 18 car now on Stewart's channel.

#45 OFFLINE   Tom_Oliver

Tom_Oliver

Godfather

• Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 07:38 PM

1 car on Jr's channel.

#46 OFFLINE   Tom_Oliver

Tom_Oliver

Godfather

• Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 07:44 PM

Sound is too low on the 1 car with team only audio.

#47 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 07:56 PM

I like it that Dale Waltrip is on Ch 798, This is the best Commentating this year on HotPass. I hope he stays on the rest of the year.

I wish they could get some more known announcers like DW.

#48 OFFLINE   Tom_Oliver

Tom_Oliver

Godfather

• Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 07:59 PM

Still off. It's okay on trackpass and the main audio feed, so it's a team audio only problem. Someone kick somethin'. :)

Sound is too low on the 1 car with team only audio.

#49 OFFLINE   Tom_Oliver

Tom_Oliver

Godfather

• Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:01 PM

Hey, thanks! Fixed it.

#50 OFFLINE   Tom_Oliver

Tom_Oliver

Godfather

• Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:06 PM

How about some roof camera shots?

#51 OFFLINE   Tom_Oliver

Tom_Oliver

Godfather

• Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:13 PM

Do you even have in-car cameras on the 1 car, or are we stuck with the TV view?

#52 OFFLINE   Tom_Oliver

Tom_Oliver

Godfather

• Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:37 PM

I'm guessing the answer is no. :)

For those watching the free preview we normally get at least one in-car camera. See the other channels besides the 1 and 18 channels for an example.

#53 OFFLINE   twistedT

twistedT

Icon

• Registered
  • 778 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:52 PM

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME JOB on the Jeff Gordon channel!!!! Incredible absolutely Incredible. Nail biting action, edge of your seat stuff! I don't care what anyone else says that was awesome! Great Job Hermie and company! I must say that was some great coverage. Great stuff guys!!!

#54 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:12 PM

As Martin Truex, Jr. was a substitute for that other "Jr." they weren't able to pre-install a camera. He'll have one for next week, when he gets his first full race on Hot Pass... and, of course, I have to work that Sunday!

OTOH, when I saw they had substituted Truex, Jr. for Jr., I called my mom to let her know of the switch, since it was a free preview. She's become a big NASCAR fan since her grandson (my son) married Martin's cousin! If she stayed up long enough to see the announcement that he'll be featured next week, I wouldn't put it past her to sign up for Hot Pass herself... and she's in her mid 80s!

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#55 OFFLINE   TheMoose

TheMoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 763 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:16 PM

Well it was interesting but I doubt I'd buy the package for several reasons.
First off I'm not the NASCAR fan I used to be, identical cars with identical drivers on identical tracks just don't do it for me, I mean how many mile & a half tracks can you watch!!
With my work schedule I'd be at the fire station for 1/3 of the races & we have cable there.
The only reason I watched tonight is because it was a Saturday night race, if it was on tomorrow I'd watch the F1 & Champ Car race instead of NASCAR, & with the Indy cars at the Glen NASCAR would be left out in the cold, as it was I watched the NHRA qualifying in Bristol I'd recorded in HD earlier today in the middle of the NASCAR race.
As bad as TNT's coverage was I still found myself watching TNT for the big picture, being more of a casual fan none of the individual drivers interest me enough to watch them a long time & I'm guessing Dale, Jeff & Tony are on pretty much every week so the other drivers only get 1 shot unless one of the main guys crash out.

The audio options were nice, I could tune out DW!!

That being said I would like to purchase individual races like Infinion, Watkins Glen, Bristol & Martinsville if they were between $5.99 & $9.99 each & in HD.

"Racing is . . . . . . . . Life . . . . . . . Everything before & after is just waiting"

#56 OFFLINE   twistedT

twistedT

Icon

• Registered
  • 778 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:28 PM

WOW!!.... Wasn't DW's voice earsplitting!!!! That was really bad on my B&K!! He was almost squealing. I kept waiting for the Oink. I am hoping that next year with the HD Hot Pass will be in 5.1 too.

#57 OFFLINE   quickfire

quickfire

Godfather

• Registered
  • 406 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:09 PM

Man my finger nails are gone!!!!!

I'm a diehard Jeff Gordon fan........and I must say that Hotpass has come along way since the beggining.....

I WILL MOST DEFINATELY BUY HOTPASS next year if D* offers it in HD!!!!!

I just wish they would offer more than 5 cars!!!!

Who knows in a few years maybe D* will have enough bandwidth to have the top 11 in points on the HOTPASS channels(wishing & crossing fingers and toes)!!!

#58 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:44 AM

Man my finger nails are gone!!!!!

I'm a diehard Jeff Gordon fan........and I must say that Hotpass has come along way since the beggining.....

I WILL MOST DEFINATELY BUY HOTPASS next year if D* offers it in HD!!!!!

I just wish they would offer more than 5 cars!!!!

Who knows in a few years maybe D* will have enough bandwidth to have the top 11 in points on the HOTPASS channels(wishing & crossing fingers and toes)!!!

Yeah, those last 4 laps were a treat...as I mentioned Gordon will be on 7 of the next 8 races and my guess is most of the chase as well. It's going to be fun down the stretch.

Posted Image Posted Image

Protected By... spam firewall...And...