Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Locals in HD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   skycop

skycop

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:42 PM

I have been waiting for my locals in HD for almost a year. Direct keeps saying soon. I notice on there website it doesn't show any town as upcoming to get their HD locals. Are they all going to start in the fall with the roll out of the new HD channels?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 02:29 PM

Your guess is as good as anyone's. :)
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:58 PM

They have stated a couple times that while there might be a market or two that get lit up this year the rest will wait until after D11 goes up early next year.

#4 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 07:27 PM

I couldn't wait for next year to watch NBC Sunday Night Football in HD so I had an antenna installed. I get PBS-HD too. It wasn't cheap because I had to do an outdoor antenna, but it looks great.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard cInternet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device

#5 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:24 PM

I live in a small area and I had to wait years before D ever even got my locals in the first place :eek2: So I'm not holding my breath while waiting on HD locals.

#6 OFFLINE   nick1817

nick1817

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:56 AM

Apparently the Memphis market just got CBS added recently (AVS Forums). I hadn't checked since my CBS is OTA through the HR-20, guess I'll check tonight.

#7 OFFLINE   ddrumman2004

ddrumman2004

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:23 AM

Yeah...I noticed that the CBS channel out of Memphis(WREG) is now in HD. I live in the Batesville MS area and receive the Memphis locals and noticed on Sunday morning when I hit the "3" button on my remote that the picture had sidebars and was not in full screen mode. I hit the "info" button on the television remote and the display showed 1080i resolution.
It's about time. Now they just need to add PBS(WKNO).

#8 OFFLINE   nick1817

nick1817

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:10 AM

I'm glad we finally got it. My little OTA is ok, not great. and CSI's are awful in stretched SD.

CW still doesn't have a deal with D* right?

#9 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:26 AM

I live in a small area and I had to wait years before D ever even got my locals in the first place :eek2: So I'm not holding my breath while waiting on HD locals.

You'll get them. There was a filing that as part of the approval of the Liberty take over they had to agree to put up all 210 markets. So now they have to do it. :D

#10 OFFLINE   kfcrosby

kfcrosby

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:28 AM

This IS good news. I've been going OTA for WREG, which for me is fine, but i do know other that have had problems with their OTA signal, especially in Germantown.

Yeah...I noticed that the CBS channel out of Memphis(WREG) is now in HD. I live in the Batesville MS area and receive the Memphis locals and noticed on Sunday morning when I hit the "3" button on my remote that the picture had sidebars and was not in full screen mode. I hit the "info" button on the television remote and the display showed 1080i resolution.
It's about time. Now they just need to add PBS(WKNO).

Kevin Crosby
Memphis, TN
DirecTV subscriber since 1996

#11 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:10 AM

I was aware of the 100% coverage in 2008 that Scott mentions, but I'm not sure that I want to give up FOX and CBS distants out of NYC in favor of locals because I know the local CBS and FOX would cover a Bills game instead of a Giants game if there's a conflict. Plus, PBS-HD is available OTA and I don't know if DIRECTV has plans to carry that.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard cInternet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device

#12 OFFLINE   djfred49

djfred49

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:31 PM

:nono2:

I have been waiting for my locals in HD for almost a year. Direct keeps saying soon. I notice on there website it doesn't show any town as upcoming to get their HD locals. Are they all going to start in the fall with the roll out of the new HD channels?

I called D' last week to find out why I still do not get my ABC, PBS in HD.
I get the feeds also form NYC here in CT of NBC, FOX and CBS but not the other two.
I had been given a waiver for NBC HD from NYC before we got our own local in HD.
I see all around us where all of the network stations are being delivered in HD but not CT.
Since we are a small state our network stations cover it all so we don't have pocket areas like New York State.
Wondering why ABC and PBS are a problem?

#13 OFFLINE   CHDinCT

CHDinCT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:41 PM

:nono2:

I called D' last week to find out why I still do not get my ABC, PBS in HD.
I get the feeds also form NYC here in CT of NBC, FOX and CBS but not the other two.
I had been given a waiver for NBC HD from NYC before we got our own local in HD.
I see all around us where all of the network stations are being delivered in HD but not CT.
Since we are a small state our network stations cover it all so we don't have pocket areas like New York State.
Wondering why ABC and PBS are a problem?

We are not getting ABC because LIN Broadcasting, which ownes WTNH (ABC), and Direct TV have not come to a carriage agreement. LIN seems to be difficult to deal with not only for D* but for some of the cable companies. I know Charter in CT doesn't have it either. In fact, I think only Comcast carriers it.

On PBS, there is no PBS digital signal OTA from Hartford yet; they're awaiting FCC approval. This matters since D* pickups up the digital signal OTA, re-encodes it to MPEG-4 and then delivers it via sat. There is a digial PBS signal out of Norwich (I hear) but it is too far from where D* pickups up the CT local digitals OTA. Hope this helps.

#14 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:43 PM

You'll get them. There was a filing that as part of the approval of the Liberty take over they had to agree to put up all 210 markets. So now they have to do it. :D

Are they sure they can do that :eek2: Sounds funny to me that it took them so long to get to some areas' locals and now all of a sudden they can get them all done in HD :confused: In fact aren't there still some areas that don't have their locals yet?

#15 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:53 PM

Are they sure they can do that :eek2: Sounds funny to me that it took them so long to get to some areas' locals and now all of a sudden they can get them all done in HD :confused: In fact aren't there still some areas that don't have their locals yet?

I was actually talking about SD locals. DirecTV has already said they will carry any HD locals that are out there from all markets once D10 and D11 are up.

As for the SD locals, once they shut down MPEG2 HD (in a year or so) that will free up a ton (well, a lot) of bandwidth on 110 and 119 (and on 101 too) and they can then start rolling out SD locals again.

#16 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:00 PM

Well D10 is just about up. Fingers crossed. I do hope that Bird makes it up in the sky :angel:

#17 OFFLINE   cavihitts

cavihitts

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:03 PM

I would expect some announcements of more HD locals in the next few months. I'm sure the main priority right now is the national channels that have been promised and have caused such a stir. After everything is running with those, they will begin the HD locals plans with the addition of D11

#18 OFFLINE   BobbyK

BobbyK

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:24 PM

D*s announcement of local hd is worthless. 4thQ 06 Pensacola will have hd locals not: then it was 1stQ 07....not: then it was 2ndQ 07 not, and guess what, we still don't have them.

#19 OFFLINE   skaeight

skaeight

Icon

• Registered
  • 516 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:28 AM

Apparently the Memphis market just got CBS added recently (AVS Forums). I hadn't checked since my CBS is OTA through the HR-20, guess I'll check tonight.

This is great news. That station is owned by Local TV, formerly New York times. The ABC affiliate in my market (Scranton / WB) is owned by Local TV as well. I'm pretty sure that was one of the stumbling blocks to my DMA getting locals. Now once they have the capacity I should get most of them. Nexstar just needs to decide to offer the HD locals to d* now.

#20 OFFLINE   djfred49

djfred49

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:36 AM

We are not getting ABC because LIN Broadcasting, which ownes WTNH (ABC), and Direct TV have not come to a carriage agreement. LIN seems to be difficult to deal with not only for D* but for some of the cable companies. I know Charter in CT doesn't have it either. In fact, I think only Comcast carriers it.

On PBS, there is no PBS digital signal OTA from Hartford yet; they're awaiting FCC approval. This matters since D* pickups up the digital signal OTA, re-encodes it to MPEG-4 and then delivers it via sat. There is a digial PBS signal out of Norwich (I hear) but it is too far from where D* pickups up the CT local digitals OTA. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info

spam firewall