Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Good Bye Tivo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
225 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:13 PM

I have an announcement. I am now officially retiring my TIVO. The HR20 has come a long way since last September. Those of you who know me from my postings, know that I am a big TIVO guy. I still am. I love TIVO. However, the HR20 is now a worthy replacement, and even an upgrade. (Even though it is still missing DLBs. I am still going to be a gadfly about that.)

So those of you who are sitting on the fence, go ahead and pull the trigger. You will miss some of your TIVO's features, but the HR20 makes up for it with its beautiful HD picture.

Good work DirecTV - the HR20 is ready for prime time.

And if you don't believe this was a bit of a decision for me, go back and search my postings for mention of TIVO. You will likely find I was pretty slow to accept the HR20 as a replacement. That was then - this is now - after using the HR20 for about 9 months.

Fence sitters - pull the trigger.
JayW
- - - - - -
Please vote for this application

Samsung LCD
Stand Alone TiVo Premeire
and a TON of HD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:16 PM

Ok, I'll have to contact the FBI to find out who this really is and what happened to the real JayWDetroit! Without DLB, there is no way he would make this kind of post--even with a gun to his head. :D

I'll let you know what they find.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#3 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:18 PM

Ok, I'll have to contact the FBI to find out who this really is and what happened to the real JayWDetroit! Without DLB, there is no way he would make this kind of post--even with a gun to his head. :D

Cheers,
Tom

Bet the real Jay is next to Hoffa. :lol:
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#4 OFFLINE   jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:18 PM

Cheers,
Tom

:coolglass
JayW
- - - - - -

Samsung LCD
and a TON of HD

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:19 PM

Jay, I bow my head to you. I want to pull the trigger but my R10 is doing duty on an SD TV in the bedroom and I just can't bring myself to get an R15. Maybe if their CE goes NR....
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:43 PM

Cheers,
Tom

I know what happened Tom. Jay found out last night that the SWM (FTM) outputs will not work with the TiVo and only the legacy outputs will.

#7 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:45 PM

Jay, I bow my head to you. I want to pull the trigger but my R10 is doing duty on an SD TV in the bedroom and I just can't bring myself to get an R15. Maybe if their CE goes NR....

I couldn't bring myself to get an R15 either--SD is dead so I went with another HR20 :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#8 OFFLINE   jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:48 PM

I know what happened Tom. Jay found out last night that the SWM (FTM) outputs will not work with the TiVo and only the legacy outputs will.

Well that might be part of the puzzle. (oops I said puzzle, now Tom's gears are going.) But actually it was inevitable. 80 HD channels by September was a major decision factor as well. That's 80 extra channels my TIVO can't get.

And I would not have done it if I didn't trust the HR20. Like I said, it is "good to go".
JayW
- - - - - -

Samsung LCD
and a TON of HD

#9 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:03 PM

I'll be retiring my SD-DVR80 this August after completing the 2 year commitment on it and I'll use the HR10-250 for ATSC and DIRECTV SD programming. I've already sold off several standalone TiVos because I used them for over-the-air channels and I didn't want to wait until the analog shutdown date because I know someone else can use them for satellite or cable.

I ordered an ATSC PCI tuner card for my MCE 2005 PC and I'm quite happy with both that and the HR20. Yeah, I started with TiVo, but the fact is a lot of the things a TiVotee loves about that platform, I have no use for, like "Suggestions". I don't believe I'll be doing Sunday Ticket this year, so DLB isn't crucial. I don't use that for anything other than Sports.

TiVo's a fine DVR platform, but I've found in this day and age, it's not the only solution out there.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#10 OFFLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,755 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:08 PM

Sellout. :D

Retired my last one at the end of last month. Welcome to the club!

FWIW, I have 5 HR10s, an R-10, SDVR-40 and a SDVR-120 sitting on the shelf. Not sure what to do with them.
- Tony

SWiM16, H21-100, H23-600, H21-700 w/AM21, HR24-500, HR24-100 w/AM21, (3) HR20-700
All receivers networked via DECA
MediaShare using TVersity on Win 7 VM over Mac Snow Leopard

#11 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,102 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:22 PM

I kept my Tivo HDVR2 when I got my HR20 in January. After two months I deactivated it and don't miss it one bit.

#12 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:34 PM

This thread won't set well with the TCF surfers.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#13 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:45 PM

TCF thinks posts like this are all from DirecTV employees. Many think there is no way the HR20 is any good since they "heard" that it was crap. Sigh....

As for me, I have 2 SD DirecTivos. The plan is to replace one of them with another HR20. 80+ HD channels is gonna fill 2 tuners up REAL fast. I need 4 HD tuners. The other Tivo will remain on the SD TV. I also can't bring myself to get an R15. ;)

#14 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:51 PM

I couldn't bring myself to get an R15 either--SD is dead so I went with another HR20 :)

Cheers,
Tom

HR20-700 is too loud for the foot of the bed. If I could be sure of getting an HR20-100 I might consider it.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#15 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:53 PM

HR20-700 is too loud for the foot of the bed. If I could be sure of getting an HR20-100 I might consider it.

I don't hear a thing from any of my 3 -700's.

#16 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:54 PM

put hr20 in closet and run cables :)

Go Packers!

#17 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:56 PM

I'm down to my last HR10-250 and I never watch it. It's there only to record programs for me to turn into mpeg files. Which I can do without even bringing it out of standby.

And I don't miss using it one bit. :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#18 OFFLINE   jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 06:22 PM

TCF thinks posts like this are all from DirecTV employees. Many think there is no way the HR20 is any good since they "heard" that it was crap. Sigh....

As for me, I have 2 SD DirecTivos. The plan is to replace one of them with another HR20. 80+ HD channels is gonna fill 2 tuners up REAL fast. I need 4 HD tuners. The other Tivo will remain on the SD TV. I also can't bring myself to get an R15. ;)

Well - if they think I am an employee, they can go back and look at my posting history.

There is another thing for which I need to give Kudos to D* for:

From a business perspective, D* recognizes that having the subscriber base is more important than making money on the box. Tivo wants WAY too much money for their HD box, and they just won't budge on the price. DirecTV is willing to make deals on the HR20 in order to keep their subscribers happy. That is wise. And I give them big credit for doing so. And in fact - every time they do that, they are pounding another nail in Tivos coffin. Tivo needs to start giving away their HD box if they want to compete with D*'s signal + HD Lineup + DVR box.

Don't get me wrong here, I am not going to just do a 180. I'm just saying the HR20 is now a worthy upgrade. Now that most of the bugs are worked out, it can stand toe to toe with TIVO and surpass it in many areas.

However, Tivo got it right with simplicity, and intuitiveness. And so, thats what will be missed, but not as much anymore.

The point of my post - is for all the Tivo lovers out there (like me). If you have been waiting, wait no more.
JayW
- - - - - -

Samsung LCD
and a TON of HD

#19 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,180 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 06:52 PM

JayW,

Same situation here ...

Just retired the last HR10 (TiVo). No regrets.

The HR20 has been primetime for a while.

DLB would make it a no-brainer but even without DLB the HR20 competes very well.

-------------------------
AU9 Slimline Dish to DirecTV 8-Channel SWM
D* DVR1-HR20: SWM2, Component to Denon to HD Plasma, S-Video to Slingbox Pro, Composite to Whole Home Modulator, 720P Native Off, e-SATA to Rosewill w/Seagate 750GB DB35
D* DVR2-HR20: SWM1 w/PI, Component to Denon #2 to HD Plasma #2, 720P Native Off
D* DVR3-HR20: SWM2, HDMI to HD LCD, 720P Native Off
D-Link DGL-4100 Gigabit Router with all connected

#20 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 07:19 PM

From my point of view, a lot of my customers like the R15/HR20. The main thing they like is that the menus, guides and so on are the same as their D10/11/12s. They like that. D* hit the mark on that point.

A year ago when I started installing, I had a DTivo. I loved the thing. I could pretty much zip around the menus without waiting for the screen to update. Now, its painfully slow to use.

Tivo needs to come down off their high horse and do whatever they can to get their boxes in the hands of customers whatever the cost. Otherwise, we might as well start a Tivo death watch pool.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

Protected By... spam firewall...And...