Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Good Bye Tivo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
225 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   SmackDaddy

SmackDaddy

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:19 PM

After reading through the forums, I've decided to get the HR20. I'll keep Tivo in my bedroom, but it doesn't make sense for me to have a brand new HD TV and not have a decent amount of HD programming to watch on it.

I don't know any of you, but your posts and knowledge have helped me out. I do not fear the HR20, even though I REALLY like my Tivo. It's time for me to move on.

I got the HR20 for nothing from DirecTV. That's all I wanted out of them as a 12 year customer. I just called and told them I'd been with them, was happy with them, but not about paying $299.00 just to enjoy my new TV with them.

Freddy

Based upon your tone, I don't think you'll miss the TiVo user interface at all. I was as hesitant as you are, but it couldn't have been any easier.

And regardless of what anybody says, having a little pop up menu on the bottom left of the screen that allows you to select a show to play, search, etc. while Live TV (or recorded) plays in the main screen couldn't be any cooler. And it's instantaneous.

Also, pushing the Record button in the guide once to record, twice to set a series link is just as cool too.

You'll be fine.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   SmackDaddy

SmackDaddy

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:27 PM

After reading through the forums, I've decided to get the HR20. I'll keep Tivo in my bedroom, but it doesn't make sense for me to have a brand new HD TV and not have a decent amount of HD programming to watch on it.

I don't know any of you, but your posts and knowledge have helped me out. I do not fear the HR20, even though I REALLY like my Tivo. It's time for me to move on.

I got the HR20 for nothing from DirecTV. That's all I wanted out of them as a 12 year customer. I just called and told them I'd been with them, was happy with them, but not about paying $299.00 just to enjoy my new TV with them.

Freddy

Based upon your tone, I don't think you'll miss the TiVo user interface at all. I was as hesitant as you are, but it couldn't have been any easier.

And regardless of what anybody says, having a little pop up menu on the bottom left of the screen that allows you to select a show to play, search, etc. while Live TV (or recorded) plays in the main screen couldn't be any cooler. And it's instantaneous.

Also, pushing the Record button in the guide once to record, twice to set a series link is just as cool too.

You'll be fine.

#223 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 649 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:32 AM

Well, since you asked.

Third, when I tell it to record a show on a HD local channel it sometimes decides that recording the show from the SD local channel is OK. One good thing about this problem is that at least the show is viewable.

This may be true. I have noticed my LILs have guide data for the SD feeds a few days before the HD feeds. Since a series link can jump to a different channel with the HR20 bafuerst could very well be experiencing this issue. Often when I do a NASCAR racing search I find what I am looking for on the SD feed, a day or two later and the search will now find the HD and SD feed. I have gone directly to the guide to confirm the missing HD data.

Ultimate plus movie channels

One Genie

Two HR21P

#224 OFFLINE   RayJ

RayJ

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:25 PM

The bottom line for me has always been the programming. I was a DirecTV ustomer from the very beginning - well over 10 years ago. I remember spending something like $700 for the dish and receiver, so that I could avoid the cable company and get the sports I wanted.

Then came TiVo. I tried the stand alone but it didn't work well through a serial cable or the IR blaster. Then came the DirecTiVo. It changed my life.

The divorce of TiVo and DirecTV caused me great anguish. I had to choose between the two, and could not stomach the idea of Time Warner Cable. So I held on to my HR10-250 as long as I could, but with all of the new MPEG-4 content, I knew the time would come.

Yesterday, I ordered a HR20. Reading this forum for the last year or so has given me the information I needed to be comfortable making the change. But I will probably still use the expression "I TiVo'd it" for some time.

Wish me well...

#225 OFFLINE   jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:31 PM

The bottom line for me has always been the programming. I was a DirecTV ustomer from the very beginning - well over 10 years ago. I remember spending something like $700 for the dish and receiver, so that I could avoid the cable company and get the sports I wanted.

Then came TiVo. I tried the stand alone but it didn't work well through a serial cable or the IR blaster. Then came the DirecTiVo. It changed my life.

The divorce of TiVo and DirecTV caused me great anguish. I had to choose between the two, and could not stomach the idea of Time Warner Cable. So I held on to my HR10-250 as long as I could, but with all of the new MPEG-4 content, I knew the time would come.

Yesterday, I ordered a HR20. Reading this forum for the last year or so has given me the information I needed to be comfortable making the change. But I will probably still use the expression "I TiVo'd it" for some time.

Wish me well...

Welcome to the rebel alliance, may the force be with you. You will not regret leaving the dark side, my son.

with practice, you too, will become a jedi master of the hr20.
JayW
- - - - - -
Please vote for this application

Samsung LCD
Stand Alone TiVo Premeire
and a TON of HD

#226 OFFLINE   Dusty

Dusty

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:03 PM

You folks must be very forgiving.

Now I've only had my HR20 since Tuesday. What I will say is it ain't half bad. But the general description I have at this time is that it's "clumsy"....for lack of a better word. Why would I even think that to view/manage my SLs I have to go into SETUP?

#1) The Remote: What chimp designed this? You have volume mid remote and trick play at the top. A remote should be handled expertly with one hand without the need to move the remove up and down in that hand. Just look at any Harmony remote or even a Tivo. No real big deal as I have a Harmony 880 and the RC34 is going in the "remote bin".

#2) Trick play just isn't crisp like my HR10, the guide is no speedier and has 2 less channels on it. Maybe after you use the HR20 for a few months or a year you get use to it. But sometimes it seems ok and other times it seems I'm in some type of time delay and things just take longer...or maybe it's just the beers kicking in. :) Also, the Slip just doesn't cut it.

#3) Already ran into some problem with the live buffer in which I put a show on pause (mpeg2) to fix lunch, came back and watched another 20 minutes before it got to a point it just froze. Thinking about it the point it froze was probably the point in the live show that I came back and resumed playing. I could RR and tried FF and the slip to get past the "dead zone" with no luck. Channel up and down didn't even clear up the problem. Oh well, it was just an old Bond movie and I moved on.

#4) Watched a recorded MPEG4 (local channel) last night and experienced frame shots from the NBC show that was currently being aired while playing the recorded program. I was watching the NBC Nightly news and say frame shots of the 1 in 100 game show. News was recorded at 5:30 and I was watching about 7:00-7:30.

#5) Audio dropouts (1-3 seconds) on SD programming and video pixelation also on SD programming. More than with the HR10.

#6) Wife hates it.

But I'm giving it time. And maybe that's the trick. Over time HR10 users forget how responsive that was. They forget about Wishlists and suggestions. And over time I may too. But as the OP mentioned, I will not forget about DLBs.

I agree with all your observation except I don't understand #4. But other than #6, none of them bothers me that much. I hate the remote but I got used to it. I am glad it does RF so I can forgive everything else. Comparing MPEG4 trick play to HR10 is not fair. I hate the jumpy trick play but it is getting better. For the fact it handles MPEG4, I can forgive this flaw. I do experience some problems, but I moved on, just like you. I finally got to a point that they have to replace my receiver. But my HR10 was worse anyway.

I took so much sh*t from my wife when I switched from HR10 to HR20. Ever time anything goes wrong with the HR20, I get an earful from my wife. After 8 months, she finally said she kind of liked it. I took the chance to tell her that her HGTV and food channel is coming in HD only on HR20. She gave me a skeptical approval.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...