Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Good Bye Tivo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
225 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 10:56 AM

RS4's appearance just proves I was right in post # 12.

A real TiVo fan doesn't ask for someone else to bring them TiVo, they go get it. I can respect the folks on TCF who back up their words with action and threw down for a S3 and switched providers or who went ATSC OTA exclusively. Your attitude seems to be someone has to bring TiVo to you, which means you love TiVo conditionally, probably on the condition that it costs you $5-$6/mo, not $14-$17/mo. or $299 three year prepay. That, IMO, isn't real love.

Where others chose to follow TiVo, I decided to check out alternatives and that required investments on my part. It also required testing and comparison to either prove or disprove their viability, another area you don't seem to want to venture into. If you're going to rely on second hand opinions to make your determination, while dismissing any who offer positive assessment of other platforms, it shows your bias quite clearly. I can see who's drinking Kool Aid.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 July 2007 - 10:57 AM

Wow - my first post to the forum and already I'm being called names. :) I guess he didn't want to know why some people weren't drinking the Cool Aid.

Oh, yeah, cause nobody here has read your diatribes about the HR20 on tivocommunity. And you joined here just to bash the machine.

You just don't get it. These are the SAME PEOPLE who were Tivo fanatics who are jumping on the HR20.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#43 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:03 AM

Oh, yeah, cause nobody here has read your diatribes about the HR20 on tivocommunity. And you joined here just to bash the machine.

You just don't get it. These are the SAME PEOPLE who were Tivo fanatics who are jumping on the HR20.

Agree. I was one of them. I debated Earl in 4Q2006 that the Series3 was better then the HR20.

All has changed since.

HR20 is now the choice. Plain and simple. As I posted earlier.

#44 OFFLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,755 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:07 AM

I've kept my mouth shut over at TiVocommunity. Here I won't. To quote you, RS4, "It's a shame that a few guys can really put the sour in a forum. I'm disappointed that they don't have enough decency to discuss the products openly instead of trying to hijack the forum and jam something down our throat that most people could care less about."

Using your logic, this is an HR20 forum. Do you have any experience with the HR20 or are you just blinded by your loyalty to TiVo? Most of us here have owned both systems. I have four HR10-250s sitting on a shelf collecting dust because they don't do what my HR20 can. I've been a TiVo fan since discovering them in 2001. I even have a TiVo coffee mug at work and one at home. Heck, I'm wearing my ValueElectronics TiVo T-shirt as I type this. How much time with an HR20 have you actually spent to form your opinions of this machine?
- Tony

SWiM16, H21-100, H23-600, H21-700 w/AM21, HR24-500, HR24-100 w/AM21, (3) HR20-700
All receivers networked via DECA
MediaShare using TVersity on Win 7 VM over Mac Snow Leopard

#45 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:08 AM

Read the thread you're in ...

Xaa, while I'm on your side-of-the -fence for this debate, your name-calling wasn't appropriate. If I were you, I'd edit the post.

#46 OFFLINE   RS4

RS4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:14 AM

I'd like nothing better then to try it, but I'm certainly going to commit to a 2-year contract without first trying it, especially with the mediocre reviews I read from Tivo owners.

If this were a cable company, I'd be able to return the box if I didn't like it, but Direct decides that they can't afford to do that. Okay - so I'll have to go by what I read.

I too had an early DTivo because I could only use one receiver for a while, but in all of the years I've had my Tivos, I've never lost recordings. I believe that I didn't have the quality issues that Direct is having with the HR20.

You all make excuses that because this box is new, it's totally acceptable for it to not even do basic functions until 9 months after being on the market. That to me is not a product that I would think much of. Instead, it only heightens my feelings that Direct didn't have a clue as to what they were doing and now you're stuck with a mediocre product that will probably improve over time.

The dvr industry has been around for many years, but yet Direct comes out with their own product (after having miserably failed with the NDS box) like they had never even looked at the other boxes in the market. The one example I point to is the OTA feature. It seems they decide to use 3rd generation technology when 5th generation is available. Then too, they try to get the dvr to scan for local over the air signals and can't even get that to work, so you're faced with a crapshoot - am I going to be able to receive my local channels based on my zip code?

Ask yourself how many people would be getting this box if they didn't want mpeg4 and of course the answer would be considerably less.

So, it's not necessary to call me names when I try to explain what to most people would be obvious reasons why they will wait. I'm merely trying to point out that this is in fact a bleeding edge group and there is nothing wrong with that. But, you don't need to jump all over us when most people don't want to put up with the quality of product that Direct has come out with.

We'll wait until we're forced into it, or we'll move along to another supplier. A lot of us would prefer that Direct and Tivo come to an agreement that would give us a Tivo mpeg4. If that doesn't happen, then a lot of us will move.

#47 OFFLINE   Xaa

Xaa

Icon

• Registered
  • 797 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:19 AM

Xaa, while I'm on your side-of-the -fence for this debate, your name-calling wasn't appropriate. If I were you, I'd edit the post.

Yep, this troller caught me.

Edit made, thanks for the guidance back Sixto.

#48 OFFLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,755 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:21 AM

I'd like nothing better then to try it

Then until you do, you may want to disclaimer your posts with a "I never used an HR20, but this is what I hear..." or "The following opinion is based on hearsay"

That would be like me going over to a Mac forum and say how awful it is because it doesn't do something a PC can. I've never touched a Mac and I've only heard opinions. But since I heard them they must be true.

Find someone with an HR20 and take it for a spin before spewing FUD over here.

I'm done with this thread.
- Tony

SWiM16, H21-100, H23-600, H21-700 w/AM21, HR24-500, HR24-100 w/AM21, (3) HR20-700
All receivers networked via DECA
MediaShare using TVersity on Win 7 VM over Mac Snow Leopard

#49 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:31 AM

And of course the biggest reason that I'll wait to see what the market bears is Directs arrogance.

How about we talk for awhile about TiVo's arrogance. It seems to me a company with Apple arrogance, but no iPod to back it up.

Everyone likes to see them as the little guy that gets pushed around, but let's follow their business model for awhile. Outside of the estimated 15 % of the nation that gets their programming exclusively over-the-air, some of those are S1 or S2 TiVo owners with their fingers crossed that those units will be able to control the ATSC converter boxes in Feb. 2009, everyone else uses a multichannel provider of some form. TiVo is a middle man in the chain, they don't provide programming, but they make their coin recording it. I can't blame cable and satellite who look at that situation and say, "TiVo didn't help pay for the fiber to be laid or the satellites to be launched, but they're taking cash from the DVR side". No wonder these companies find ways to lock TiVo out.

This is also the company who when DIRECTV announced they were moving on, shunned an agreement with Comcast. :eek2: They had to make a leadership change to reach an agreement! That's one of the reasons why people level the charge that they are clueless.

Look at how long it took them to offer multi service discounts, and even now they're highly conditional. They were more or less forced to offer them because folks were insistent why DIRECTV subs got a "one price covers all DVRs" and they had to pay full price.

Those are some of the reasons why when I see people say DIRECTV is entirely responsible for the severance of the relationship, I'm dubious.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#50 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:37 AM

You all make excuses that because this box is new

Don't make assumptions like that! It's the reason you're being called a troll. I stated quite clearly, as have others, if it didn't perform, it would be gone. What part of that don't you grasp?

#51 OFFLINE   RS4

RS4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:38 AM

I never implied that I didn't own an HR20. In fact, I said that everything I had read... I was merely responding to the original poster as to why Tivo people weren't flocking to the product.

You guys pounce on me because you don't really want to know what other people think. There are still lots and lots of Tivo people who don't like the HR20, but you don't want to hear that here. In fact most of the opinions seem to be on the order - yeah it's ok, but if I could have a Tivo, that's where I'd be. That alone tells me that this product has a long way to go before it will reach a high satisfaction level that Tivo enjoys.

I'm glad you're helping Direct develop their product. I'm glad for this forum because it certainly lets be know that I'm not trying the HR20 if I have to sign up for a 2-year commitment without a trial period.

If you guys don't want an honest outside opinion as to why many Tivo lovers are swooping down and gobbling up this product, fine. Many of us just compare this product to any cable dvr box. The difference is, that we can't try it out, and Direct has no other box for the mpeg4 enthusiast, so you're stuck.

#52 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:50 AM

I never implied that I didn't own an HR20.

Quote from RS4 at 12:00PM ET on 7/1/2007: "I'm one of those people who will wait until I'm forced to get an HR20" ... seems like a fairly strong implication.

#53 OFFLINE   RS4

RS4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:55 AM

I guess I don't understand. The poster seemed to imply that I was trolling and didn't own an HR20. I was merely trying to point out that in fact I didn't own an HR20 and was trying to be open about that, not hide something.

Also, I was just trying to get you folks to realize that many Tivo lovers do not feel this product compares to the quality they enjoy with the Tivo.

Instead, I get bashed for stating what is obvious to most people.

Thanks.

#54 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:08 PM

I was just trying to get you folks to realize that many Tivo lovers do not feel this product compares to the quality they enjoy with the Tivo.

If (as you state) your purpose of joining this forum and making your first post was to have us "realize that many Tivo lovers do not feel this product compares to the quality they enjoy with the Tivo.".

Well, consider it mission accomplished, some now "realize that many Tivo lovers do not feel this product compares to the quality they enjoy with the Tivo" and we can all now move on to enjoying the HR20 and the next Pina Colada ...

#55 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:33 PM

There are still lots and lots of Tivo people who don't like the HR20, but you don't want to hear that here.

We don't want to hear that here because we don't care what you and your zealot buddies at TCF think about the HR20. There's nothing "Direct" (it's DIRECTV, if you've been with them as long as you say, you should know that) could ever do to make you guys like the HR20. It's not a Tivo, so therefore it's crap.

#56 OFFLINE   FreddyC

FreddyC

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:52 PM

Alright, I'm a newb to this forum and maybe I can turn the direction of this thread a little bit.

I have been a DirecTV customer since 1995. I have two Tivo's and love them. BUT, I now have an HDTV and I think it's time that I go in the direction of the HR20.

Not to hijack the thread, but since it was started by a person who obviously had a strong love for Tivo, but is now sold on the HR20, I feel it kind of fits.....

What am I going to hate most about switching? Are there any "surprises" I may need to be aware of when I make the switch? Any extra info concerning the HR20 that may be relevant, I would appreciate.

Thanks, Freddy

#57 OFFLINE   RS4

RS4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:53 PM

Yes, in fact you're quite right. Direct used to be a company that I enjoyed being a client of, in fact I sent many friends and relatives there way. I believe that since Murdoch took over the company, they have lost site of the customer. They don't care what you or I want - they only care about the bottom line.

So, they dumped Tivo, or Tivo dumped them, or for whatever reason, they are no longer together. For that reason, they came out with another product to replace the Tivo, but that was a failure and they decided to make one of their own.

Now, their only solution seems to be 'our way' or the highway. Of course, if they faith in the product, I'd get to try it out at least for 15 or 30 days - the way I could if I were with a cable company.

So, yes you are correct. Many of us won't accept those terms with that quality of a product. I was merely trying to respond to the OP as to why many people don't think much of this product at this time. :)

The exact opposite thing happens on the Tivo forum. People say something about the HR20 over there and we are bombarded with folks telling us what a marvel of technology when a simple pass through this forum reveals otherwise.

#58 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:55 PM

Alright, I'm a newb to this forum and maybe I can turn the direction of this thread a little bit.

I have been a DirecTV customer since 1995. I have two Tivo's and love them. BUT, I now have an HDTV and I think it's time that I go in the direction of the HR20.

Not to hijack the thread, but since it was started by a person who obviously had a strong love for Tivo, but is now sold on the HR20, I feel it kind of fits.....

What am I going to hate most about switching? Are there any "surprises" I may need to be aware of when I make the switch? Any extra info concerning the HR20 that may be relevant, I would appreciate.

Thanks, Freddy

:welcome_s to DBStalk

The biggest thing the TiVo user that came to the HR20 do not like is that the HR20 does not have DLB (dual live buffers). It may get it down the road but there is no word yet. But I was a very long time TiVo user and loved TiVo but I now actually like the HR20 better.

#59 OFFLINE   RS4

RS4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:58 PM

FreddyC,

Be sure to read this forum carefully. If you love your Tivos, you'll find there is a wide range of opinions. If you need antenna to pick up over the air signals that Direct doesn't broadcast, then buyer beware. You'll find that what you can pick up OTA depends on what Direct has in their database, as much as the capability of the equipment. And that's one example of what I suggest as reading this forum carefully.

#60 OFFLINE   RS4

RS4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:00 PM

Equally perturbing to many Tivo lovers is the user interface. Many people feel the UI is not intuitive.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...