Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Good Bye Tivo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
225 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:04 PM

First off, a warm welcome, RS4. :welcome_s

I'm sorry something has stirred impolite behavior, normally things aren't quite so bad. I understand each of your points as well as the more salient points made by others.

I hope we all find the DVR of our dreams. IMHO, DIRECTV is heading in the right direction. The glimpses I've gathered from many sources look outstanding! (Now if they'd just add DLB to the plans...)

Now as moderator, I remind everyone, please keep it civil. I think I'm glad certain edits occurred before I caught up on this thread. RS4 does have valid points and reasons for his point of view. And others can have valid points as to why he should switch. But it is his choice and he is welcome here too.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:05 PM

And a warm welcome to FreddyC, too. :welcome_s

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#63 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:05 PM

Now, their only solution seems to be 'our way' or the highway. Of course, if they faith in the product, I'd get to try it out at least for 15 or 30 days - the way I could if I were with a cable company.

When was DirecTV's solution ever NOT "our way" or the highway? Nothing has changed, there were no 15 or 30 day trials with Tivo. Why are you complaining about this as if it were something new?

#64 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:07 PM

When was DirecTV's solution ever NOT "our way" or the highway? Nothing has changed, there were no 15 or 30 day trials with Tivo. Why are you complaining about this as if it were something new?

Why are you complaining about a good customer focus thing DIRECTV could add. It's not too late to add this. :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#65 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:11 PM

Why are you complaining about a good customer focus thing DIRECTV could add. It's not too late to add this. :)

Oh no, don't get me wrong. I would love to see DirecTV add some sort of "test drive" program for new receivers. It would be great. But he's complaining as if he had some sort of trial program when he got his beloved Tivo, which he most certainly did not. Tivo doesn't even offer a trial for the SAs. If you choose to enter into a contract, you're locked in.

#66 OFFLINE   Xaa

Xaa

Icon

• Registered
  • 797 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:15 PM

Cheers,
Tom

He's not complaining about the thing DTV could add, he's pointing out the complaint that it does not exist with this DVR seems weakened by the fact that it never has existed.

So be careful of your complaints about complaints of complaints. They are just that and not complaints about things we want. :)

Xaa

#67 OFFLINE   jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:20 PM

You obviously have not read some of my past TIVO posts. I am telling you, as a die hard TIVO fan, if you have been waiting, now is the time. The HR20 is no longer a 'beta' product. Its solid. Its reliable. Its HD. If you search my past posts you will read things not unlike what you are saying. As someone who has used both now for 9 months, I can say, the HR20's time has come.

I'm one of those people who will wait until I'm forced to get an HR20, or find an alternative that allows me use a Tivo.

I believe that Direct rushed a product to market and that the results are they've gotten a lot of help from a lot of people and have come up with a mediocre product as most cable companies have.

A lot of Tivo users have come to expect quality and ease of use. I don't see that in the HR20. A lot of people that change dvrs are expecting to find a better machine. All I see is that this unit will do mpeg4, which of course is a big deal if you want to be able to watch Direct's upcoming HD. So, this box is not impressive, in fact far from it due to its spotted past.

I'm sure there are many Tivo users that have come to accept the box, maybe even a few that actually like it, but my impression is that those of us who truly enjoy our Tivos will find this a giant step backwards.

Most comments I read say yeah, this box is okay, but it ain't a Tivo. That to me is not a glowing endorsement of a new product.

And of course the biggest reason that I'll wait to see what the market bears is Directs arrogance. I'm glad to see that direct appears to be listening to its customers. My question is, why didn't they listen years ago when the stand alone Tivos had all of the features that they wouldn't turn on for us DTivo users?

I believe they are listening to HR20 users now, because they have all this free help plus the fact that they came out with a disastrous product and probably would have had a riot on their hands if they couldn't get something to work half way decent in a short period of time. Most companies that put a product out like that would have been laughed off the streets.

When I canceled my NFLST a couple of weeks ago (not paying $350 to watch HD football), the lady told me they would ship an HR20 for $19.95. I asked one question - "is there a 30-day try it program - if you don't like it, send it back and there will be no 2-year commitment"? Her answer was that Direct has $800 in the box. Well, so what? They could just give the box to the next person on the list if I didn't like it. Instead, they have to lock me in for two years, whether I like it or not.

So, I'm not ready to sign up for a mediocre product with a company that I no longer have high esteem. My customer number with Direct is 13000, so you can imagine how long I've been a customer. Yet, I'm now looking at alternatives and one of the main reasons is because of what they've done with the Tivo customers and the Tivo replacements - settling for 'good enough'.

JayW
- - - - - -
Please vote for this application

Samsung LCD
Stand Alone TiVo Premeire
and a TON of HD

#68 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,666 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:27 PM

You obviously have not read some of my past TIVO posts. I am telling you, as a die hard TIVO fan, if you have been waiting, now is the time. The HR20 is no longer a 'beta' product. Its solid. Its reliable. Its HD. If you search my past posts you will read things not unlike what you are saying. As someone who has used both now for 9 months, I can say, the HR20's time has come.

Deaf ears. Give it up. He only joined here to campaign against the HR20. No other reason. This argument existed on tivocommunity and now he decided that he is going to educate us because we are all shills. He knows what is best for us.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#69 OFFLINE   jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:28 PM

I'd like nothing better then to try it, but I'm certainly going to commit to a 2-year contract without first trying it, especially with the mediocre reviews I read from Tivo owners.

I CHALLENGE you to try it. I bet if you gave it 1-3 months, you would part ways with your TIVO forever. I was one to give the box a mediocre review 9 months ago. I'm telling you now, its not that box anymore. Its a much better box.

D* will let you out of your 2 year contract if you cry enough, but I assume that would require a little effort.

Try it for a few months, then come back and slam it. If you were to be honest, I bet you eat your words.

Up for it? Or is there an excuse? Afraid to pull the trigger? Try it.
JayW
- - - - - -

Samsung LCD
and a TON of HD

#70 OFFLINE   jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:33 PM

I guess I don't understand. The poster seemed to imply that I was trolling and didn't own an HR20. I was merely trying to point out that in fact I didn't own an HR20 and was trying to be open about that, not hide something.

Also, I was just trying to get you folks to realize that many Tivo lovers do not feel this product compares to the quality they enjoy with the Tivo.

Instead, I get bashed for stating what is obvious to most people.

Thanks.

And the point I am trying to make is that I WAS one of those TIVO people, and I am now trying to tell other TIVO people that the WATER IS NOW FINE. COME ON IN.
THE PRODUCT IS READY.

Here - look at my posting history....

http://www.dbstalk.c...earchid=2085845
JayW
- - - - - -

Samsung LCD
and a TON of HD

#71 OFFLINE   Hoffer

Hoffer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:36 PM

I said goodbye to TiVo yesterday. I had TiVo for 6 years almost to the day. I got the HR20 yesterday in anticipation for the MPEG-4 national channels. I figured I'd get the receiver early in case there was a backlog around the time the channels launch.

#72 OFFLINE   RS4

RS4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:37 PM

I'm merely trying to point out a switch in the way Direct now treats its customers. I think it used to be that if I bought a DTivo box and didn't like it, I would be able to return it and get out of my obligation with Direct, or at the most, had a year's obligation. That simply is not the case anymore. I must sign up for a two-year obligation.

I think that if Direct really were customer-centric, they would allow a trial period for existing customers, however, here again, that is not the case. Especially, because the replacement box does not enjoy a great reputation.

I believe their were over 3 million Direct customers with a Tivo box. I would think Direct would be bending over backwards to try to keep that group of folks because I would bet that is some of their biggest spenders. Instead, it appears to me that they are alienating us.

I honestly would gladly enjoy looking at the HR20 and giving it a test run. But, I am currently finished with my last 2-year commitment and I will not sign up for another if I have serious doubts about the box. Many of you are former Tivo owners and you love the new box. I'm glad for you. But I also read here and other places, where former Tivo (an non-Tivo) owners do not like the box and are having all kinds of problems with it. So, my question to Direct is, if you are so customer-centric, why not let those of us who wish to try it, actually try it with some sort of 15 or 30-day trial?

You folks seem to thing I'm on here to bash the HR20. I'm just trying to point out what other people think. I'm trying to let you know what the perception is in the market place by many people such as myself. I realize that many of you have put many hours of blood sweat and tears into making this box become the box that we would like it to be. I'm merely trying to say that many many people are still doubtful and what Direct could do to win us over.

I can assure Direct that I will be the first to leave if I find an acceptable alternative, and they have no one to blame except themselves. If the box is as good as everyone says, then Direct should let us try it. My opinion is that in fact, it is not yet meet the caliber of the Tivo and that Direct is afraid of losing more of us if the actually let us try it. Instead, they're hoping that they can get a decent product by the end of the next year and a half and that many people will forget about the current mess. At the same time, they're hoping the rest of us won't abandon them in droves.

BTW, thanks to the moderator for your welcome. :)

#73 OFFLINE   jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:42 PM

I'm merely trying to point out a switch in the way Direct now treats its customers. I think it used to be that if I bought a DTivo box and didn't like it, I would be able to return it and get out of my obligation with Direct, or at the most, had a year's obligation. That simply is not the case anymore. I must sign up for a two-year obligation.

I think that if Direct really were customer-centric, they would allow a trial period for existing customers, however, here again, that is not the case. Especially, because the replacement box does not enjoy a great reputation.

And an S3 TiVO is 700 bucks. I don't know how much the hr20 costs to produce (anyone?) but i am sure D*'s thinking is that they have to recover their cost for the box, and the best way to do that is to tell customers they are in a 2 year commitment.

I bet if you hated the box, they would let you out or do something to make it right.
JayW
- - - - - -

Samsung LCD
and a TON of HD

#74 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:43 PM

I believe their were over 3 million Direct customers with a Tivo box. I would think Direct would be bending over backwards to try to keep that group of folks because I would bet that is some of their biggest spenders. Instead, it appears to me that they are alienating us.

You need to stop saying "us" as if you represent all of the current and past Tivo owners. I've got a Tivo right now, and I don't feel like DirecTV is alienating me at all. They're alienating the Tivo zealots like you, who think anything without the Tivo name on it is garbage. But I can guarantee you that the vast majority of those 3 million DIRECTV customers with Tivo (or whatever the number was) really don't care about Tivo all that much. I am one of them.

The company's name is DIRECTV. Call them DirecTV, Directv, D*, or whatever. Calling them Direct is incorrect. Please stop, it's really obnoxious.

#75 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,666 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:48 PM

And, actually, with the CE program and communication through this forum, DirecTV (well you stop calling it Direct...that is not its name nor a nickname...just shows your level of disrepect) is showing MORE customer orientation than Tivo has in the past. Tivo always keeps its new software secret and if you tell anyone you are testing it, you are toast. But, hey, they are more customer oriented.

My opinion of Tivo is that they pioneered the DVR land and did a great job. Their machines are pretty damned good, in the top tier. But they have become stagnant and their development cycle is horrible.

Oh, and their customer support? Don't ever try to call them. Or should I ignore those horror stories because they don't fit your profile of the companies.

And, given that DirecTV has very small churn, I somehow doubt those 3 million Tivo customers are leaving DirecTV.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#76 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:48 PM

You need to stop saying "us" as if you represent all of the current and past Tivo owners. I've got a Tivo right now, and I don't feel like DirecTV is alienating me at all. They're alienating the Tivo zealots like you, who think anything without the Tivo name on it is garbage. But I can guarantee you that the vast majority of those 3 million DIRECTV customers with Tivo (or whatever the number was) really don't care about Tivo all that much. I am one of them.

The company's name is DIRECTV. Call them DirecTV, Directv, D*, or whatever. Calling them Direct is incorrect. Please stop, it's really obnoxious.

It's not that obnoxious...I'd rate typing in huge fonts much more obnoxious than the way he has mildly abbreviated their name.

#77 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:50 PM

And an S3 TiVO is 700 bucks. I don't know how much the hr20 costs to produce (anyone?) but i am sure D*'s thinking is that they have to recover their cost for the box, and the best way to do that is to tell customers they are in a 2 year commitment.

I bet if you hated the box, they would let you out or do something to make it right.

The HR-20 cost was a little over $400 earlier in the year. Their C.E.O. was quoted as saying their price should drop by over $100 a unit during 2007...so I would guess that $299 will be just about at their cost.

#78 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,666 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:51 PM

You keep implying that the two year commitment is because of the reputation of the HR20. It is not. Any upgrade or additional equipment carries a commitment period. Upgrade your dish and you get a commitment. It is just their model. I don't necessarily think it is a good thing but you keep trying to use it against the HR20 when it has nothing specifically to do with the HR20.

They were requiring 2 year commitements when you added an HD Tivo. Guess that was because Tivo is a bad box?

#79 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:51 PM

Tivo always keeps its new software secret and if you tell anyone you are testing it, you are toast. But, hey, they are more customer oriented.

And look at all of the new features Tivo has added that their customers have asked for. Like a free space indicator. Oh, wait...

#80 OFFLINE   bafuerst

bafuerst

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:55 PM

I have 2 HR20's that don't get used at all in my house (I'm waiting for the new HD channels before I give up on Tivo). After getting them at the end of last year I tried to return them. After losing it the first couple of times I called DirecTV trying to return them, I soon figured out that although DirecTV will not allow me to return them, they will give me discount after discount to make me happy. All said I now have 2 HR20's and an extra $100.

Anyways I think it's great that allot of people here are happy with their HR20's and come this fall I hope that I too will be able to use my HR20’s without the trouble I experienced when I first got them, but after reading this thread I wonder how many of you converts would have stuck with the HR20 long enough to find out you liked them if DirecTV would have allowed returns.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...