Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Good Bye Tivo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
225 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   RS4

RS4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:55 PM

"I really hate the way this new DTV box menu/recording process is set up and don't really want to start from scratch on the new box. Guess I was spoiled on my Tivo Season Pass manager..."

I know that for as many of you who say you were former Tivo users, there are just as many Tivo users like the gentleman above. It's spread all over this and other forums.

The plain fact is that we see much of this kind of posting and none of the opposite posting that says the HR20 is the best thing since sliced bread. Instead, many of the former Tivo posts seem to say, it's ok. Well, that's fine for a lot of people, but the rest of us are looking for the 'wow' box. We just don't see that here.

As I mentioned earlier, yes I would gladly like to play with the new box for a few days, however I would be totally stupid to sign up for a 2-year commitment when I have doubts about the HR20 in the beginning and I have read and spoken to Direct. They flat out told me I'm locked in - that is not customer-centric.

There are many threads of people getting the box, hating it, returning it a few days later, only to be told by Direct, that they're hooked for 2 more years. Does that give you a feeling this company cares about me? Of course not, so I am dependent on others. When I see the grumbling quiet down, then I may consider the box. In the mean time, I keep looking elsewhere.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:57 PM

The plain fact is that we see much of this kind of posting and none of the opposite posting that says the HR20 is the best thing since sliced bread.

The HR20 is the best thing since sliced bread. Way better than any Tivo. I wouldn't switch back to Tivo even if DirecTV offered to waive the DVR fee.

You are so blind that you don't even realize the fact that you're blind.

#83 OFFLINE   jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:59 PM

[B] When I see the grumbling quiet down, then I may consider the box. In the mean time, I keep looking elsewhere.

So what you are saying, is that posts like mine aren't indicative of the "grumbling" quieting down?
JayW
- - - - - -
Please vote for this application

Samsung LCD
Stand Alone TiVo Premeire
and a TON of HD

#84 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:01 PM

"I really hate the way this new DTV box menu/recording process is set up and don't really want to start from scratch on the new box. Guess I was spoiled on my Tivo Season Pass manager..."

I know that for as many of you who say you were former Tivo users, there are just as many Tivo users like the gentleman above. It's spread all over this and other forums.

Why do you jump on every quote of someone who doesn't like the HR20 but ignore those who do?

BTW, yes it is really hard to do a season pass. Hmm, click record twice on the guide and you get a season pass. That is very hard. (Gee, easier than the Tivo!)

Oh, and moving priorities around. Gee, go in the prioritizer and move them up and down. Very hard. Want to change your options? Select the title in the prioritizer and click on "Record Series" to change options. Wow, how difficult.

You jump on sentences like the one written above and say "Gee, that box sucks!"

The plain fact is that we see much of this kind of posting and none of the opposite posting that says the HR20 is the best thing since sliced bread. Instead, many of the former Tivo posts seem to say, it's ok. Well, that's fine for a lot of people, but the rest of us are looking for the 'wow' box. We just don't see that here.

Huh? There is a wide variety of opinions but many of the Tivo lovers are not saying the box is okay, they are saying it is good. In fact, I have told you before that have almost never use my Tivo box anymore and use the HR20 80% of the time when recording or watching TV and they are side by side on the same remote. But you ignore those statements because they don't fit your agenda.

As I mentioned earlier, yes I would gladly like to play with the new box for a few days, however I would be totally stupid to sign up for a 2-year commitment when I have doubts about the HR20 in the beginning and I have read and spoken to Direct. They flat out told me I'm locked in - that is not customer-centric.

There are many threads of people getting the box, hating it, returning it a few days later, only to be told by Direct, that they're hooked for 2 more years. Does that give you a feeling this company cares about me? Of course not, so I am dependent on others. When I see the grumbling quiet down, then I may consider the box. In the mean time, I keep looking elsewhere.

And in the meantime, you will come here to pick a fight? What is wrong with you?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#85 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:01 PM

So what you are saying, is that posts like mine aren't indicative of the "grumbling" quieting down?

The grumbling will have quieted down when the HR20 doesn't need to be reset 5 times a day, 75% of them aren't returned, it doesn't miss half of the shows it's supposed to record, and it turns into a Tivo.

#86 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:02 PM

According to the threads on tivocommunity that RS participated in, you would be a DirecTV employee! :)
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#87 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:03 PM

The grumbling will have quieted down when the HR20 doesn't need to be reset 5 times a day, 75% of them aren't returned, it doesn't miss half of the shows it's supposed to record, and it turns into a Tivo.

Not sure he will get your humor.

#88 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:04 PM

Not sure he will get your humor.

A lot of people don't. :lol:

#89 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,264 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:05 PM

I have 2 HR20's that don't get used at all in my house (I'm waiting for the new HD channels before I give up on Tivo). After getting them at the end of last year I tried to return them. After losing it the first couple of times I called DirecTV trying to return them, I soon figured out that although DirecTV will not allow me to return them, they will give me discount after discount to make me happy. All said I now have 2 HR20's and an extra $100.

Anyways I think it's great that allot of people here are happy with their HR20's and come this fall I hope that I too will be able to use my HR20’s without the trouble I experienced when I first got them, but after reading this thread I wonder how many of you converts would have stuck with the HR20 long enough to find out you liked them if DirecTV would have allowed returns.

I am so amazed at how easily you give up and waste your money and your hardware.

Bring them out of storage and use them. The software has come a long way since the end of the year. I hardly use my Tivo anymore.

#90 OFFLINE   RS4

RS4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:18 PM

Yes JayW, I'm glad to read posts like yours. That's encouraging. But at the same time, look at posts from folks like bafuerst "I have 2 HR20's that don't get used at all in my house (I'm waiting for the new HD channels before I give up on Tivo). After getting them at the end of last year I tried to return them. After losing it the first couple of times I called DirecTV trying to return them, I soon figured out that although DirecTV will not allow me to return them..."

Yes, DirecTV (each discussion group has their own customs and apparently some folks really get excited if a newbie doesn't follow the custom) does have a 2-year commitment for any time you breathe nowadays. That's exactly why I'm so disappointed that I will not be getting the box until I feel like I will enjoy it. They are forcing me to depend on forums to determine if I'll like the box.

I'm at the point where I'm free to look around. I'm disappointed with what DirecTV has done in the past couple of years with relationship to the Tvio (and other) customers. They seem very arrogant to me, so I'm not rushing back in to another 2-year deal. I'm going to wait to see what folks say about HD lite and I'm going to see what happens to the HR20.

The DirecTV lady told me they had $800 in the box. That's fine, I'd be happy to return it and they can pass it on to someone else if I don't like it, but as we can see from the post above and from what she directly told me, that is a big no, no.

As for Tivo, I believe I can sign up for a month to month to at least try the box. Their current box is 600 with a 200 rebate and supposedly have a cheaper version by year end. I'm anxious to see where that goes, and where the switched HD goes.

We all deal with companies for an assortment of reasons. I have lost faith in DirecTV since being with them in 1994. I think they are just another company and below many others. Their approval ratings have gone down as most of the industry. In their case, they slipped a lot more in the ratings than most other companies, so clearly I am not alone in this feeling.

#91 OFFLINE   jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:28 PM

Yes JayW, I'm glad to read posts like yours. That's encouraging. But at the same time, look at posts from folks like bafuerst "I have 2 HR20's that don't get used at all in my house (I'm waiting for the new HD channels before I give up on Tivo). After getting them at the end of last year I tried to return them. After losing it the first couple of times I called DirecTV trying to return them, I soon figured out that although DirecTV will not allow me to return them..."

Yes, DirecTV (each discussion group has their own customs and apparently some folks really get excited if a newbie doesn't follow the custom) does have a 2-year commitment for any time you breathe nowadays. That's exactly why I'm so disappointed that I will not be getting the box until I feel like I will enjoy it. They are forcing me to depend on forums to determine if I'll like the box.

I agree with you that the 2 year commitment is steep. But for me it makes alot of sense. D*'s programming is superior to most others. And its cheaper. And soon, with the HR20, you will have all the VOD stuff as well. (Not that big of a deal to me, but it is to many others.) So if you figure all that in, with the fact the box is so inexpensive compared to the S3, it comes down to economics.

I took the 2 year commitment knowing that i am unlikely to switch providers anytime soon, and if I do, then I will try and get out of it.
JayW
- - - - - -
Please vote for this application

Samsung LCD
Stand Alone TiVo Premeire
and a TON of HD

#92 OFFLINE   RS4

RS4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:29 PM

"According to the threads on tivocommunity that RS participated in, you would be a DirecTV employee!"

I purposely use the same signon to this forum as I did the other. Again, I'm not trying to hide anything. I'm just trying to point out there are plenty of folks like me that are still weary about changing boxes - first because of the quality and usability concerns and secondly because of the way DirecTV treats their customers.

Most of you folks have hundreds of posts here. That tells me that you have worked hard to make the box what it is today. I'm glad for that and am grateful for all of the hard work you've done. My point was to the original poster why many people do not want to jump into the new product.

#93 OFFLINE   bto4wd

bto4wd

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 522 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:32 PM

Oh, and moving priorities around. Gee, go in the prioritizer and move them up and down. Very hard. Want to change your options? Select the title in the prioritizer and click on "Record Series" to change options. Wow, how difficult.

I will say that after having my HR20 for a few days I did have to break open the manual (if you can call it that) to find out just where I needed to go to get into the "Prioritizer". I just always looked at "Setup" having menu items that were used to setup the box. I never would have thought the Prioritizer was under setup.

#94 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:01 PM

I'm just trying to point out there are plenty of folks like me that are still weary about changing boxes - first because of the quality and usability concerns and secondly because of the way DirecTV treats their customers.

RS4, it's fairly obvious from your posts today that you're just trying to stir it up (which is fine on a forum). But all these posts of "I'm just trying to point out ..." aren't really pointing out very much.

We are all very aware that there are fanboys and girls on both sides of the fence.

Go check out my posts at TCF. I was one of the first people to get the Series3 in mid-September. Ordered hour-1. Paid the full $799. Loved it. Posted that I loved it. Posted experiences at TCF so that others could enjoy TiVo. Loved it.

Well, times change. Other products get better. The HR20 has succeeded in my eyes. My family now also loves the HR20.

Without speaking for JayW, I'd assume that his original post was to let everyone know that he's also happy now. I agree with him. Yep, we both still want DLB but the HR20 is a pretty good box right now.

Telling us all that there are still skeptical folks out there isn't exactly new news. We know. That's why JayW made his post.

Suggesting that D* have a trial program to get new converts, good idea, may or may not ever happen. In the meantime, we'll continue to try and help others move to the HR20.

This "alienation" stuff also doesn't make much sense. The D*TiVo boxes never were on par with state-of-the-art DVRs. Whether it was D* fault or TiVo's fault, we may never know, but the D*TiVo box was a half-breed.

What we do know is that D* has total control of development right here in the U.S. and they're working very hard to make the HR20 the best box possible. They are frequently enhancing the box (not just bug fixes), and they listen. We post on the CE forum and sometimes shortly afterwards the change is made. The posts at TCF are not nearly as recognized by the parent company.

Ah well, enough debate ... you get the point.

#95 OFFLINE   bafuerst

bafuerst

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:17 PM

I am so amazed at how easily you give up and waste your money and your hardware.

Bring them out of storage and use them. The software has come a long way since the end of the year. I hardly use my Tivo anymore.

They are not in storage. One is connected to the TV in the Living room on HDMI1 and the Tivo is on HDMI2, the other is connected to the TV in the BR. I don't watch TV in the BR much and my wife hates the HR20 so it's only used to watch live TV.

Please don't take this the wrong way I know I'm in the HR20 thread but I prefer Tivo, and as long as there is nothing extra in it for me to use the HR20 I will use the Tivo. Also I should say that I do use the HR20 and it has gotten better however I still find myself having to press the red button and I only use it when 2 shows are recording on the Tivo and I want to record a third show.

That said I'm trying to point out to the HR20 fans here is I doubt that many of you would have stuck with the HR20 if you where not forced to. And when I say forced I mean that many of you like me would have returned the unit when you first got it. For me paying $300 to lease a product that does not work and not being able to return it is criminal.

#96 OFFLINE   RS4

RS4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:23 PM

"That said I'm trying to point out to the HR20 fans here is I doubt that many of you would have stuck with the HR20 if you where not forced to. And when I say forced I mean that many of you like me would have returned the unit when you first got it. For me paying $300 to lease a product that does not work and not being able to return it is criminal."

And that is the arrogance of DirecTV that I'm speaking about!! While its nice that you all worked so hard to get a box to work, I wonder if it wouldn't have been better to have everyone send it back to D* and demanded a return? Maybe then we would have had more choice?

#97 OFFLINE   RS4

RS4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 04:01 PM

"RS4, it's fairly obvious from your posts today that you're just trying to stir it up (which is fine on a forum)."

Yeah, I understand. It's okay for an insider to say DirecTV sucks or this product is mediocre, it's different when an outsider to point these things out. No one likes that.

It's sorta the same feeling we get over on the other forum when bonscott87 likes to rub our nose into the pile telling us what a marvelous machine the HR20 is. :) When in fact, if we pay attention to this forum, we know that not all others hold the same opinion.

#98 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 04:03 PM

So let's see....commitments.

Pretty much any cell phone company....2 years

DirecTV for HD or DVRs....2 years
DirecTV for regular receivers....1 year (by the way, DirecTV commitments have been around a LOT longer then the HR20 or even the R15 for that matter

Dish Network - 18 months

Cable - 12 months, sometimes 18 months.

Tivo - 1 year to 3 years

Seems to me everyone has a commitment. I guess they all have crappy equipment. :D

#99 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 04:04 PM

It's sorta the same feeling we get over on the other forum when bonscott87 likes to rub our nose into the pile telling us what a marvelous machine the HR20 is. :) When in fact, if we pay attention to this forum, we know that not all others hold the same opinion.

Hmmmmm....so how many times have I said that not everyone loves the HR20? How many times have I said people have problems? How many times have I said it's not perfect?

Methinks you need to learn to read my friend.

#100 OFFLINE   RS4

RS4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 04:23 PM

My cable company certainly has no one year commitment if I want to try out some equipment. I can get it for a month and return it with no further commitment.

The cell phone companies at least give you a 3-day out because you have to sign the contract. At least that's better then what Direct offers.

The problem is the company has become user ugly - they want to force you to sign up for two years come hell or high water. They don't give a rat's a.. about you or anyone else, but yet you folks seem marveled by the idea that they seem to be listening to you. I say great, it's about time they started doing something right for a change. But the truth is, you folks have saved their a..!! If it weren't for all of the effort you folks have put into the box and because you have the patience of Job to put up with inferior quality, you've made the box what it is today. And of course, we all benefit by that because maybe D* will think twice about releasing such an inferior product the next time.

Just think what would have happened if all of you had returned the boxes at the beginning and demanded D* return your money? There would have been a mutiny and some state attorney general would have come along and forced D* to come out with a product that at least did the basics as they advertised or return your money.

Just think what would have happened if you'd told D* you weren't signing up for a 2-year lease? Maybe they would have come to their senses and rethought their contracts.

spam firewall