Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Good Bye Tivo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
225 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   bto4wd

bto4wd

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 522 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 04:26 PM

So let's see....commitments.

Pretty much any cell phone company....2 years

DirecTV for HD or DVRs....2 years
DirecTV for regular receivers....1 year (by the way, DirecTV commitments have been around a LOT longer then the HR20 or even the R15 for that matter

Dish Network - 18 months

Cable - 12 months, sometimes 18 months.

Tivo - 1 year to 3 years

Seems to me everyone has a commitment. I guess they all have crappy equipment. :D

FWIW....

Verizon gives you a 14 day trial period and the COX service here doesn't have any commitment they've mentioned to me when I've investigated a switch. Back in 2004 when I moved it took a month to get D* installed. I got COX service and canceled it after a month.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   bafuerst

bafuerst

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 05:03 PM

Reading threads where someone says they used to not like the HR20 but after using it they now love it is kind of like being forced into an arranged marriage and the parents saying that you will learn to love them. If anyone is forced into using something long enough they are going to get used to it as I'm sure that I'm going to get used to the HR20 when the new HD channels are turned on.

#103 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 05:38 PM

My cable company certainly has no one year commitment if I want to try out some equipment. I can get it for a month and return it with no further commitment.

The cell phone companies at least give you a 3-day out because you have to sign the contract. At least that's better then what Direct offers.

Your cable company has no or very little costs in hooking you up for a month. D*or E* for that matter has the ODUs & multiswitches that need to be installed.

The problem is the company has become user ugly - they want to force you to sign up for two years come hell or high water. They don't give a rat's a.. about you or anyone else, but yet you folks seem marveled by the idea that they seem to be listening to you. I say great, it's about time they started doing something right for a change. But the truth is, you folks have saved their a..!! If it weren't for all of the effort you folks have put into the box and because you have the patience of Job to put up with inferior quality, you've made the box what it is today. And of course, we all benefit by that because maybe D* will think twice about releasing such an inferior product the next time.

Just think what would have happened if all of you had returned the boxes at the beginning and demanded D* return your money? There would have been a mutiny and some state attorney general would have come along and forced D* to come out with a product that at least did the basics as they advertised or return your money.

Just think what would have happened if you'd told D* you weren't signing up for a 2-year lease? Maybe they would have come to their senses and rethought their contracts.

What company hasn't become user ugly. Companies today answer to Wall Street not Main Street. Thats an unfortunate fact of life today.

Inferior product? Not in my opinion. My first one, which I paid $299 to get from Best Buy has worked like a charm since day one.

I have no doubts that the engineers & programmers at D* didn't want the box to go out with the software issues that it had. But, the same people that have been screaming how big of a POS, POC, its not a Tivo would have been the exact same people screeming how there was no MP4 capable DVR available from D* to record the 2006/07 TV season. The same zealots would still be outside with their pitcforks and torches wanting to hang someone from a tree because they couldn't record in HD over the sats.

What would have happened if you refused to sign the 2-year lease. Simple, you don't get the box.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#104 OFFLINE   jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 05:38 PM

Reading threads where someone says they used to not like the HR20 but after using it they now love it is kind of like being forced into an arranged marriage and the parents saying that you will learn to love them. If anyone is forced into using something long enough they are going to get used to it as I'm sure that I'm going to get used to the HR20 when the new HD channels are turned on.

Please do not imply that I have "forced" myself to like the HR20. I have used both machines up to this point on a pretty equal basis. The HR20 earned my kudos. Its a good product now, and I would (now) recommend it over an SD TIVO to any of my friends. And believe me, my friends all know how much of a tivo guy i am. In fact - they wish they didn't know.

Okay - so that is not to say I don't miss DLB, and suggestions. Its just saying - I'm to a point now, where the HR20 does most everything else as well or better than the SD Tivo.

One more point - I still think TIVO is more intuitive. But now that I know where everything is on the HR20, that is completely non-issue for me.
JayW
- - - - - -
Please vote for this application

Samsung LCD
Stand Alone TiVo Premeire
and a TON of HD

#105 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 05:49 PM

Never had a tivo.. I feel so left out in this arguement :lol:

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#106 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,214 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 06:08 PM

Reading threads where someone says they used to not like the HR20 but after using it they now love it is kind of like being forced into an arranged marriage and the parents saying that you will learn to love them.

Not the case here. Actually, quite the opposite.

Had first marriage (TiVo).

Was in love.

Spouse left (TiVo relationship ended).

Married 2nd time (HR20).

Never thought 2nd marriage (HR20) could ever be the same.

It isn't the same, it's different, and in many ways it's better.

And now the relationship is closer (Development is in house) and she cares more and listens (CE program).

Overall a better relationship.

Others sometimes never get over the first marriage and spend the rest of their life hoping for the way it was.

#107 OFFLINE   jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:23 PM

Not the case here. Actually, quite the opposite.

Had first marriage (TiVo).

Was in love.

Spouse left (TiVo relationship ended).

Married 2nd time (HR20).

Never thought 2nd marriage (HR20) could ever be the same.

It isn't the same, it's different, and in many ways it's better.

And now the relationship is closer (Development is in house) and she cares more and listens (CE program).

Overall a better relationship.

Others sometimes never get over the first marriage and spend the rest of their life hoping for the way it was.

Just curious - did you do a prenup with the HR20? :contract:

That story is... Well...

Let's just say I'm trying to figure out right now if my wife is a Tivo or not. Hmmm - 30 second skip anyone?
JayW
- - - - - -
Please vote for this application

Samsung LCD
Stand Alone TiVo Premeire
and a TON of HD

#108 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,402 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:15 PM

First person to mention Dual Live anything gets a two week (or longer) "vacation". And likely miss the VOD release... :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#109 OFFLINE   D1DAVE

D1DAVE

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:39 PM

Wow Jaywdetroit This is a rough crowd. I had a HR10-250( loved it!) but saw the writing on the wall. Sold it about April and upgraded to avoid any rush in getting a recorder before mpeg4, extra hd channels coming and local Rsn broadcasts of the Astros etc. Been involved in 3 CE'S with my 2 H20 units, and one with my HR20-100. HR20-100 is a very good unit and does exactly what it is supposed to do. Play back pristine HD content and record my favorite programs.
I am with you, don't look back people, Tivo ain't THAT great, and you will enjoy the added features!
I do wish I had a black HR20-100 though, my only real complaint.

#110 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:40 PM

And likely miss the VOD release... :)

You sneaky devil you. :hurah: Your gonna make me run some Ethernet cable aren't you.

#111 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:47 PM

Like I care about a 2 year commitment. How far out does Sunday Ticket run with DirecTV? Ahhhh, sign me up for a 3 year commitment then.

When it comes to the commitment to "try" the HR20 you're really coming at it the wrong way.

You either want to stick with DirecTV and get their new HD channels or you don't. That simple. If you plan to stick with DirecTV and you want the new HD channels then the HR20 is your only choice. There is no "try", there is only "do".

If you don't plan to stay with DirecTV then you should have already left or should have plans to do so.

I guess the 3rd option is that you'll stick with DirecTV only if the HR20 doesn't suck. But since you've already resigned yourself to the fact it does suck then why bother at this point, look elsewhere.

Again, it's that simple really. Just don't understand all the anger over something one has never even seen before let alone used. But to each his own....cable awaits with open arms I'm sure.

As for cable "commitment". Try to drop one of the "triple play" parts before your first year special rate is up. Yikes $$$$$ ! Might as well be a commitment.

#112 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:03 PM

As for cable "commitment". Try to drop one of the "triple play" parts before your first year special rate is up. Yikes $$$$$ ! Might as well be a commitment.

When TWC paid a visit about having me switch from DIRECTV and Verizon DSL, they offered a "buy out" for equipment and commitment, but in return I'd have to commit to their triple play for three years.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#113 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,930 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:16 PM

First person to mention Dual Live anything gets a two week (or longer) "vacation". And likely miss the VOD release... :)

Cheers,
Tom

I'm starting my 2 week Vacation in about 9 hours from now :( ... ;)
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#114 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,526 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:17 PM

There are still lots and lots of Tivo people who don't like the HR20, but you don't want to hear that here.

I think you're wrong there RS4, but let me tell you my story first:

As with many here, I was an early D*tivo adopter. Got my first unit in early 2001. I've been a huge tivo fan for over 6 years now. I have tivo dolls flanking my entertainment center, a tivo guy on my car antenna, and there's a large tivo doll in permanent residence in my 2 year olds crib.
I've been happy with my setup (2 SD D*tivos distributed to the rest of the house - 7 TV's in all), but knew I'd need to do something when I finally switched to HD (bought a new TV 6 years ago that's not HD and have been trying to get the most use out of it, before buying a new main TV). When D* and tivo ended their relationship, I heard a lot of bad things about the machines that D* was putting out (SD and HD). For that reason, I pretty much stopped reading all the D* forums and instead have spent the last 10 months researching FIOS as my next move for when I get my new HD TV this fall/winter.
I started talking to my wife about some of the issues involved with switching providers (she's a bigger tivo fan than I) and she suggested a do some more research into what D* is doing, so I started reading TCF and this forum (and others) again several weeks ago.
What did I discover? Many of the individuals that I knew from years ago as being the biggest tivofanatics ever, were now praising D* and their current products (and future products). These are people that I've respected for years. This is a forum full of people that use these products and know how they perform. I still see a lot of bitching over at TCF, but it's usually from people like yourself that haven't even tried the product.

So, you say there's still lots and lots of tivo people that don't like the HR20. I would bet that if every tivo lover tried the HR20, the majority would like it.

And this is coming from another huge tivo fan that DOESN'T EVEN HAVE AN HR20 YET.

Perhaps you should do as I did and spend the first several weeks here (or back here, in my case) READING and LEARNING what the users have to say, instead of just POSTING what you're heard.

#115 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,930 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:27 PM

Oh, and to be on topic for the thread .. I still have two TiVos. My family loves them and can't stand the HR20 - although it's really growing on them now that it works very well. They are even noticing some of the nice differences.

I used to love TiVo as well, but they held out on me .. I used to think it was DIRECTV holding back, but watching the slow pace of TiVo and their holier-than-thou attitude, I'm becoming more and more convinced that it was as much TiVo's fault as DIRECTV's on any relationship issues that they had.

TiVo was (and still is WRT DIRECTV) stuck in a time warp. I much prefer then HR20 now and absolutely do NOT want to go back. The relationship that has been cultivated here between DBSTalk.com and DIRECTV is nothing short of astounding.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#116 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:36 PM

Maybe some would have, maybe not, I got my 1st HR20 in early October, and I never looked back....

#117 OFFLINE   RS4

RS4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:54 AM

Many of you still don't get it and I doubt you ever will. You can't see the forest for the trees. You've put up with crappy stuff for so many months, you're now amazed that it stays up and keeps working - i.e. you've settled for mediocrity. Oh yeah, D* seems to be improving the product, but it still doesn't have any super wow feature other than mpeg4.

You guys are so close to the box that Direct owns you. You're proud that you've come this far. I'm happy for ya. The outside world would probably say D* bent you over and took advantage. You guys put up with stuff that most people wouldn't.

I have spent hours here reading all kinds of issues and that is precisely why I don't want to commit to another 2 years until I'm forced to. I still see the kind of thing we've seen on this thread - yeah it's an okay box, but...

You can say all you want about Tivo - who knows how much is Tivo and how much is D*. I doubt if we will ever know. But there are lots of us hoping that if we hold out, D* and Tivo will recognize an opportunity, especially with new ownership. So, we'll sit on the sidelines to see what the next few months bring.

I do see Tivo being able to download videos from Amazon and that's the kind of thing that gets me excited, because I believe in the next few years, the internet will become the video delivery service bypassing satellite and cable.

In the meantime, keep up the work with D*. Make the best use of the marriage. But have the sense to know that your own forum is not busting with endorsements. Instead, you present the attitude of survivalists - you've made it through the big event and now you want to tell other people about it. You're just kinda pissed that the outside world says "that's nice, so what?".

#118 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:37 AM

blah, blah, blah....

If you arent interested in contributing something positive, or arent interested in getting an HR20, why stay?

#119 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:07 AM

Ironic how these forums work.. I held off buying a DVR because I read that the TIVO's were slow and you couldn't do a lot of things without leaving live tv.. :)
P.S. I love my 2 HR20's and they both work fine for my wife and me, And looking forward to what else they are planning for it. As well as all the new channels. :D

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#120 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,214 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:25 AM

Many of you still don't get it ...

We "get it" just fine.

We have no need to develop any forestry skills, we see the trees very well.

Today, July 2007, there are two types of trees in our D* forest of HD DVR receivers.

You can choose the HR20 or stick with the old HR10.

No comparison (advantages previously posted).

Now, if you want to dream for a Series3 on D*, that's always your prerogative.

Instead, the rest of us move on, move forward in 2007, enjoy eSATA expanded storage, ~100 HD channels by year-end, VOD within weeks, picture-in-guide, instantaneous single click recording and series links ... the list goes on-and-on ...

Must applaud your futile tenacity ... enjoy your HR10 ... while we enjoy our much more functional HR20's.

#121 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:47 AM

You can say all you want about Tivo - who knows how much is Tivo and how much is D*. I doubt if we will ever know. But there are lots of us hoping that if we hold out, D* and Tivo will recognize an opportunity, especially with new ownership. So, we'll sit on the sidelines to see what the next few months bring.

People in hell want ice water. Red shirted crewman would like to make it back safely to the Enterprise. Tivo huggers want D* to bring Tivo back.

Sorry, none of three are going to happen.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#122 OFFLINE   spoonman

spoonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:46 AM

That's interesting, my HR20-700 is pretty queit. Maybe it's because I can't hear......:grin:

My first one was very loud...my replacement one isn't as bad...maybe they are putting better drives in them?
Setup: SWMline
HR21-700 (Native On) | OTA W/AM21 | HDMI to Onkyo TX-SR706 then to Magnavox 52" via HDMI | networked
HR20-700 (Native On) | HDMI to Sharp 32" Aquos | networked
HR20-700 (Native On) | HDMI to Sony Reciever (STR-DG1000) then to Vizio 32" | networked

#123 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:43 AM

Oh yeah, D* seems to be improving the product, but it still doesn't have any super wow feature other than mpeg4.

There are a bunch of "super wow" features that the HR20 has that the HR10 doesn't. They've already been listed in this thread, but you've obviously chosen to ignore them so I'm not going to bother repeating them.

You guys put up with stuff that most people wouldn't.

For once I actually agree with you. But I fail to see how this is a bad thing.

I still see the kind of thing we've seen on this thread - yeah it's an okay box, but...

Most of the posts in this thread are saying that the HR20 is BETTER than the HR10. BETTER. You are simply ignoring them.

I do see Tivo being able to download videos from Amazon and that's the kind of thing that gets me excited

Oh, you mean like the VOD feature that the HR20 is getting in a few weeks?

You're just kinda pissed that the outside world says "that's nice, so what?".

Actually, the outside world isn't saying that at all, unless of course you consider TCF to be the outside world. Most people have no problem with the HR20, and actually like it. For me, if DirecTV decided to go back to Tivo exclusively, I would leave. I don't want to be stuck with the crap that arrogant company decides I need. I've seen the light.

#124 OFFLINE   bto4wd

bto4wd

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 522 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:57 AM

Oh, you mean like the VOD feature that the HR20 is getting in a few weeks?

I wouldn't be praising a feature like VOD until it's up and running.

Few weeks? So it we'll get this by the end of July? Oh, no I won't cause I've got a -100.

#125 OFFLINE   Marcia_Brady

Marcia_Brady

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:06 AM

IMO the HR20 is an inferior DVR in comparison to the HR10. The UI, trickplay, remote, slow channel changing nuances aside, it still misses recordings every now and then and, to me.....that's unforgiveable.

Our HR10's have collectively missed 1 recording in the years we've owned them.

I hated the HR20 when we first got it, and now.....not so much. The fact that it's gotten better is a definite bonus, but it's still below what I would deem as being 'acceptable' considering this thing is supossed to be an UPgrade from the HR10.

And the fact that we've been used as 'test subjects' by Direc (for you Jeremy, LOL) while being locked into a 2 year comittment truly rubs me the wrong way. Granted, I'm not going anywhere, but it's just not right to do that to your customers.

I look forward to this thing becoming more reliable as the new HD programming arrives with fingers crossed, and I'm happy we're fortunate enough to be able to afford having other DVR's as backups......or this thing would've been sitting in a closet.

My opinion.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...