Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Unable to record two programs at once

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chibul

chibul

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:42 PM

When I first had DirecTV installed (two months ago), I could do this without any problems. About a month afterwards, I had to have a new tuner card sent to me. Just today, I tried to set up a recording for two programs, and suddenly, it won't work - it comes up with the error saying that I need to cancel one of the recordings when I try to set the second one up.

Anyone have any suggestions? All the cables are plugged in and connections are hen I try to record a second program, a screen comes up saying that I can't do it because of the previously scheduled recording - and only one previously scheduled recording is there.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:50 PM

Off the top of my head: try checking the signal strengths on both tuners to make sure both are working. If they're both working, I'd try a restart on the machine and see if that makes any difference.

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#3 OFFLINE   chibul

chibul

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:54 PM

OK, bear with me...I'm a newbie to satellite here.

I went to the "System Info", and I'm showing Tuner 1 listed as SAT, Record, and Tuner 2 listed as SAT. I'm also showing Internet not connected, but that's neither here nor there (didn't even know this box has internet capability, don't recall seeing that in the manual).

Going through the other menus now.

#4 OFFLINE   chibul

chibul

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:55 PM

Tuner 1 was acquired at 92% - Tuner 2 was acquired at 0%. LNB output failed.

#5 OFFLINE   cruise350

cruise350

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:00 PM

Do a restart of the unit that sometimes solves a tuner that has decided to drop off line. If that doesn't work, try swapping the cables between tuner 1 and tuner 2. If you then check signal strength and the problem switched to the other tuner than it could be the cable is bad, bad multiswitch, or the many other things. Try these 2 suggestions, and if then come back and report your results.
1 HR21-100= HDMI direct to Sharp Aqous 52D82U LCD, Networked Wireless Bridge
1 HR22-100= HDMI direct to Panasonic 42" Plasma, Networked Wireless Game Adapter,Slingbox Classic
1 HR21-200= HDMI direct to Vizio LC420XVT, Wired Direct to Router, Slingbox Pro HD Connect
1 HR21-700= HDMI direct to Sharp 19" LCD/DVD HDTV, not networked
1 HR 20-700=HDMI 32" Vizio
1 HR20-100=In the Motorhome

#6 OFFLINE   chibul

chibul

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:11 PM

Sounds good. Does it matter how I power the unit off? (There's unplugging it, the reset button near the card slot, and "Reset Recorder" in the Help/Options menu.)

Thanks for the help thus far, guys. Been wracking my brain with this until someone from another forum directed me here.

#7 OFFLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:27 PM

Sounds good. Does it matter how I power the unit off? (There's unplugging it, the reset button near the card slot, and "Reset Recorder" in the Help/Options menu.)

Thanks for the help thus far, guys. Been wracking my brain with this until someone from another forum directed me here.

Always use reset from the menu as a first option.
Eschew Obfuscation!

Patriot Guard Riders

#8 OFFLINE   chibul

chibul

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:39 PM

Do a restart of the unit that sometimes solves a tuner that has decided to drop off line. If that doesn't work, try swapping the cables between tuner 1 and tuner 2. If you then check signal strength and the problem switched to the other tuner than it could be the cable is bad, bad multiswitch, or the many other things. Try these 2 suggestions, and if then come back and report your results.

The restart did nothing. When I swapped the cables, the problem did indeed switch to Tuner 1 - however, shouldn't the box pick up Tuner 2? It's not even trying to search for a signal (running the test revealed 0% for Tuner 1, 99% for Tuner 2 after the switch) for Tuner 2.

#9 OFFLINE   chibul

chibul

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:42 PM

Fixed it! I have the flat cables that can be taken through a window...I was going to retrace the cable back to the satellite and look for any bends, and when I opened the window, it began working. Made some adjustments in the cable placement and all is good.

Thanks so much!

#10 OFFLINE   chibul

chibul

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:29 PM

....or not.

I thought it was fixed - the signal strength is there now. But still, whenever I try to record another program at the same time as a previously scheduled recording, a window pops up stating I must cancel the prior program, or the one I'm attempting to record.

#11 OFFLINE   MattWarner

MattWarner

Legend

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:32 PM

....or not.

I thought it was fixed - the signal strength is there now. But still, whenever I try to record another program at the same time as a previously scheduled recording, a window pops up stating I must cancel the prior program, or the one I'm attempting to record.

You'll need to reboot the machine when both tuners are 'working.' If the unit powers on and only one tuner is working, it assumes only one tuner until it is rebooted.

-Matt

#12 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:32 PM

....or not.

Since you are getting a signal now on both tuners I would try doing another reset from the menu and see if that helps.

#13 OFFLINE   John4924

John4924

Icon

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:40 PM

....or not.

Just to be clear, are you trying to watch a live show, AND record two different shows? If so, you cannot do this.

You can, however, watch a recorded show AND record two different shows.

Can you please explain exactly what you are trying to do?

Cheers,
John

#14 OFFLINE   chibul

chibul

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:34 PM

I feel silly. The reboot worked. Thanks!

spam firewall