Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ESPN Gameplan Early Bird

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cavihitts

cavihitts

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:46 AM

FYI, The ESPN Gameplan Early Bird offer is now available

July 1st - August 31st

$109 or 2 payments of $54.50

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gobucks100

gobucks100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:17 PM

Will DTV be broadcasting the games in HD this year if data source is available? Several ABC games were available in HD on the regional ABC channels but on SD on Game plan.

Last year the video quality of Gameplan channels was so poor. Blurry and pixelating. Far below sd. If DTV is not planning on upgrading the video quality, I probably will cancel my renewal this year and just watch the games on HD channels as I did not watch many Gameplan games last year due to the poor video quality. If the Buckeyes are only available on Gameplan in SD then I will pay the weekly fee for the game. If the Gameplan games are in HD , then I will sign up for the season again.

#3 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:27 PM

Will DTV be broadcasting the games in HD this year if data source is available? Several ABC games were available in HD on the regional ABC channels but on SD on Game plan.

Last year the video quality of Gameplan channels was so poor. Blurry and pixelating. Far below sd. If DTV is not planning on upgrading the video quality, I probably will cancel my renewal this year and just watch the games on HD channels as I did not watch many Gameplan games last year due to the poor video quality. If the Buckeyes are only available on Gameplan in SD then I will pay the weekly fee for the game. If the Gameplan games are in HD , then I will sign up for the season again.

Gameplan is not in HD

#4 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:34 PM

I would go for it too if it were in HD. ABCHD and ESPNHD do a pretty good job anyway. We have been lucky as the Gators have done well enough to be televised frequently. (Gloat, gloat)
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#5 OFFLINE   ddeloach1228

ddeloach1228

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:55 PM

Yeah, we Gators have been lucky. I dropped Gameplan last year due to it not being in HD.

#6 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:29 PM

I agree the PQ is just horrible and this will be the 1st time in 11 years or however long it has been that I will not buy this package. There are more games on now every Saturday than I can watch anyways but the driving force is the PQ it is just plain ugly

#7 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:33 PM

People mention how poor the picture quality is in SD, I am not so sure anymore. Since we upgraded to HD last fall EVERYTHING looks bad if it isn't in HD. If I go watch a game on an old TV with an old tuner, looks the same as it always did. IMHO
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H

#8 OFFLINE   cavihitts

cavihitts

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:37 PM

People mention how poor the picture quality is in SD, I am not so sure anymore. Since we upgraded to HD last fall EVERYTHING looks bad if it isn't in HD. If I go watch a game on an old TV with an old tuner, looks the same as it always did. IMHO

That will happen especially if you are using the stretch format.

#9 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:48 PM

Yeah, we Gators have been lucky.

You got THAT right!
:pinkie:

#10 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:51 PM

Understood, I meant that if it isn't HD it is just plain bad. My set does as good as my old CRT's on SD, just makes whats bad, BIGGER!
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H

#11 OFFLINE   gobucks100

gobucks100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:05 PM

The Game Plan games were far worse than the other SD games that were on FSN, ABC, CBS, TNT etc. It was so bad on some of the score/time tickers in the corner of the screen you almost could not make out the score and time left in the game. With wide shots showing most of the players on both sides of the ball, there was noticeable blocking of the players that is not there on the free SD channels. The quality was just horrible last year.

I also have subscribed for over 10 years to Gameplan, but until it is in HD probably will only buy a week here and there verses the buying of the entire season.

#12 OFFLINE   MikeR7

MikeR7

Icon

• Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:49 PM

I cancelled my gameplan renewal because of the lack of HD. I hardly watched any games from it last year, because I cannot stand to watch SD if there is an alternative

#13 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:17 PM

I cancelled my gameplan renewal because of the lack of HD. I hardly watched any games from it last year, because I cannot stand to watch SD if there is an alternative

I'm just a college football nut, I buy the package to see football...especially games that I can't see due to where I live (I went to a Big Ten school and a Big East school and live on the west coast where those two aren't seen too much).

I'll continue to buy it and Full Court so I can see my Midwest teams

#14 OFFLINE   heisman

heisman

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:46 PM

I'm just a college football nut, I buy the package to see football...especially games that I can't see due to where I live (I went to a Big Ten school and a Big East school and live on the west coast where those two aren't seen too much).

I'll continue to buy it and Full Court so I can see my Midwest teams

Just a little FYI Satracer, no more Big Ten games on Gameplan or Full Court.

#15 OFFLINE   d max82

d max82

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:15 AM

I was thinking about dropping the gameplan too, but because of the fact that the Tampa DMA has 2 channels that carry Jefferson Pilot sports, (or Lincoln whatever they renamed to last year.) and that blackouts prevented me from whatching several other games of somewhat interest. (I still haven't been able to figure out why, Such as Florida International, a school of 5k kids is blacked out across all of the southeast.) Last year at most on any given weekend I recieved 2 extra games over what I had normally, and sorry BYU and Mississippi state don't thrill me.

But yeh PQ is horrible All around on an HD set, but I end up carrying my reciever up to the parking lot and tailgating with a tripod setup on a 20 inch CRT and all is good.

#16 OFFLINE   AFH

AFH

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:23 AM

I re-upped again this year b/c as the previous poster said, I just want to watch some football. Sure the pq was horrid last year, but as long I could discern what was happening on the field that's all that mattered. As soon as ABC/ESPN decide to broadcast all of the regional games on ABC in HD, we'll see a HD version of Gameplan. I think that either next year or 2009 we'll see HD versions of the regional games on ABC.

#17 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:37 AM

Yup, I'm aware of that...but my Big East teams are on a ton.

#18 OFFLINE   gobucks100

gobucks100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:08 AM

Any Big 10 games shown on ABC regionally can still be on Game Plan. If ABC is showing the Big 10 game on a regional broadcast and your local ABC channel is not showing that game, you can only get that game on Game Plan. The ESPN regional or ESPN Plus syndication games that use to be a part of Game Plan will now be on the BTN. Due to no syndicated Big Ten games on Game Plan, there will be a lot fewer Big 10 games on Game Plan but the ones that they will have will usually be some of the best match ups of the week if you live outside of Big 10 country (like I do). If you live in Big 10 country then it is probably a correct statement that no Big 10 games will be on Game Plan because all of the regional games will be on your local ABC channel and blacked out on the Game Plan Channel.

Jeff

#19 OFFLINE   AFH

AFH

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:26 AM

Any Big 10 games shown on ABC regionally can still be on Game Plan. If ABC is showing the Big 10 game on a regional broadcast and your local ABC channel is not showing that game, you can only get that game on Game Plan. The ESPN regional or ESPN Plus syndication games that use to be a part of Game Plan will now be on the BTN. Due to no syndicated Big Ten games on Game Plan, there will be a lot fewer Big 10 games on Game Plan but the ones that they will have will usually be some of the best match ups of the week if you live outside of Big 10 country (like I do). If you live in Big 10 country then it is probably a correct statement that no Big 10 games will be on Game Plan because all of the regional games will be on your local ABC channel and blacked out on the Game Plan Channel.

Jeff

This is correct. The last two years have seen less and less ESPN regional and ESPN Plus games. So those who had GP like I did last shouldn't notice much of a difference when those Big 11 games that were ESPN Plus/regional go to the Big 11 net.

#20 OFFLINE   stlboilerdave

stlboilerdave

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:57 AM

Jeff

With the new contract between the Big10 and ESPN/ABC, all regional games not shown on ABC will be shown on 1 of the main ESPN channels (ESPN, ESPN2). Therefore, there will be NO Big10 games shown on Gameplan. Zero games for anyone throughout the whole country.

spam firewall