Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Wish Item - Edit show titles

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 05:14 PM

Just a suggestion I thought of today. I actually recorded a commercial that is funny and got just what I wanted (31 secs). Didn't need to record the show. The DVR shows the program's title, although what I saved is something else.

What if we had the ability/feature to edit show titles in the Playlist? Am I the only one who would use such a feature? Comments/Suggestions?
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 06:34 PM

I wouldn't mind being able to edit the show titles.

I can even see a use for this in households where several people watch the same recording at different times, say dad at one time, then mom the next day, and junior some other time. They could use a title-editing option to add their initials to the recording's title to say "I watched it", so the last person knows it's safe to delete.

The only problem I can see with this is would the software still group the program by the program ID (behind the scenes guide data) or by the new program title, as edited by the user?

For example, it could be confusing if you record "The 4400", let's say, and edit the title to "Good commercial". Would the episode (with the commercial) be in a folder under a group for "The 4400", because that's the program group ID, or under a dedicated folder with your custom title?

#3 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 06:47 PM

Would love to edit the title of a show.

Have had several instances where I've recorded the end of a sporting event where the show officially ended in the guide. The title is then the title of the next show which is confusing if you save the recording forever.

Same with live music events on a talk show. Would be nice to change the title if you're going to save the recording for months.

#4 OFFLINE   Janice805

Janice805

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:58 PM

I would love to be able to EDIT the actual recording. For example, maybe I recorded an hour NEWS program because I heard of something of interest coming up during that hour. All I want to keep is say 10 minutes of that hour. I would love to be able to cut out, shorten, or edit the actual recording down to what I actually want to save for a while without using up valuable space on the whole hour or so.

#5 OFFLINE   uncrph90

uncrph90

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:51 PM

I would love to be able to EDIT the actual recording. For example, maybe I recorded an hour NEWS program because I heard of something of interest coming up during that hour. All I want to keep is say 10 minutes of that hour. I would love to be able to cut out, shorten, or edit the actual recording down to what I actually want to save for a while without using up valuable space on the whole hour or so.

Me too--I would use this a lot!
Bill

#6 OFFLINE   code4code5

code4code5

Godfather

• Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:01 PM

The Dish VIP622 has this feature.

#7 OFFLINE   John in Georgia

John in Georgia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:41 PM

Just a suggestion I thought of today. I actually recorded a commercial that is funny and got just what I wanted (31 secs). Didn't need to record the show. The DVR shows the program's title, although what I saved is something else.

What if we had the ability/feature to edit show titles in the Playlist? Am I the only one who would use such a feature? Comments/Suggestions?

This feature would really be helpful to me as well.

Currently, what I do is mark a program with the "K" (keep) icon and mark the segment I want to keep with an HR20 "bookmark". However, if I can't remember why I bookmarked the segment, I might delete the program by mistake. This has happened numerous times on late-night shows (Letterman/Leno/O'Brien/Ferguson) where a particular interview or act was worth saving and sharing, but not necessarily the entire program.

By the way, you seldom hear of the "bookmark" function on the HR20. The BOOKMARK function is one of my favorite features (after the ability to record, pause, rewind and re-play HD programming, of course!). It's great for marking the end of commercials so that someone viewing later can see that the program has already been viewed (by one spouse). It also allows (the other spouse) to FF through commercials and feel comfortable in deleting the program after viewing.

#8 OFFLINE   boltjames

boltjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 707 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:41 PM

It would be great for me, as "Barely Legal - Lust In The Dust" could be re-labeled "Disney World - The Top 10 Restrooms In Epcot".

BJ
Sony 40XBR9 LCD 1080p | Sony 46XBR2 LCD 1080p | Sony 40V2500 LCD 1080p| HR20's | HR21's | D* Bring Back FTSTB! No 2 Hour Timeouts!

#9 OFFLINE   MercurialIN

MercurialIN

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:08 PM

This is an idea I have long been interested in as well.

Melody

In Loving Memory Of Manda 8/31/2004-12/29/2008

HR24-100/S-Video/Mitsu SDTV
HR24-100*
HR24-500*
*both hooked HDMI to same Sony Bravia XBR 9

#10 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:09 PM

It would be great for me, as "Barely Legal - Lust In The Dust" could be re-labeled "Disney World - The Top 10 Restrooms In Epcot".

BJ

I'm looking at your post, and then at your initials, and I'm trying to think of a response ... that... maintains ... a sense of ... family decorum ... here at DBSTalk ... ;)

#11 OFFLINE   boltjames

boltjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 707 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:36 PM

I'm looking at your post, and then at your initials, and I'm trying to think of a response ... that... maintains ... a sense of ... family decorum ... here at DBSTalk ... ;)

LOL. I'll have you know I'm a father of three and they love Disney World very much.

BJ
Sony 40XBR9 LCD 1080p | Sony 46XBR2 LCD 1080p | Sony 40V2500 LCD 1080p| HR20's | HR21's | D* Bring Back FTSTB! No 2 Hour Timeouts!

#12 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:25 PM

Is this something that can be added to the Wish List? Ability to edit the title of a program already recorded and saved in the PlayList.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

spam firewall