Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Change Request: Make "Recording Defaults" Settings easier to Review and to Change

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,730 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:13 PM

I'm not even sure how many people know there's an option to set "recording defaults", so that all of your future series links are set with the criteria you choose. For example, the HR20 by default is set to Keep at Most 5 episodes, so if you set up a new Series Link, that series link is set by default to keep at most 5 episodes. If you go tot he Recording Defaults option, you can change that to "All Episodes", and all future series links will be set to keep all episodes.

The problem is that there's nothing on-screen that points you to the settings for changing recording defaults, and in fact, it's not even a screen to change these defaults ... it's a bunch of settings buried in menus.

Consider the following three screens below:

http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8750&stc=1&d=1183337978

Figure 1 (above) - Your To Do List. There are options to get to the Priortizer and to set a Manual recording, but you don't see any options for changing your Recording Defaults. If you press MENU, there is nothing in the pop-up menu that affects Recording Defaults.

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1183337978

Figure 2 (above) - Program Info Screen. This screen shows things you can do with a particular episode or series. With "Rec. Once" you can set it a program to record one-time or change options for a single recording. With "Rec. Series", you can change options for the entire series. Still, though, there is nothing on-screen about Recording Defaults, and again, pressing MENU here also does not give you any options that affect Recording Defaults.

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1183337978

Figure 3 - The "Rec. Once" Program Recording Options Screen. This screen allows you to set individual options for a single episode. All available options are visible, and you can change as many as needed for this single episode.

From the screen in Figure 3, pressing MENU on the remote will FINALLY give you options to affect future Recording Defaults. Does that make sense? First, there's nothing on-screen to make you even think of using the remote here to get additional options. Second, is it intuitive that you go to a screen that deals with a SINGLE episode to change a setting that affects future SERIES LINKS, in other words, multiple programs?

From the "Rec. Once" screen, here are the MENUS that affect recording defaults:

http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8765&stc=1&d=1183339075 http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1183339081
Figure 4 - The RECORD DEFAULTS menu.

Now that you got here, there should be an easy way to review the current settings. Unfortunately, there's no single screen that shows all current default recording settings. Instead, you have to continuously bounce back and forth through the menu (RIGHT, LEFT, DOWN & repeat) to see all of the current settings.

http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8767&stc=1&d=1183339085 http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1183339090 http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1183339097 http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1183339101 http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1183339105
Figure 5 - The Recording Default Option Menus.

Now let's say you want to CHANGE these settings. Press SELECT on any one of the options from the menus in Figure 5. You change the setting AND get thrown back to the screen in Figure 3, so you have to REPEAT your steps to go back to the Menu and re-select Record Defaults.

Recommendation 1: Add an option for "Recording Defaults" to all three screens depicted in Figures 1 to 3. Users should have a clear, easy path to get to the recording defaults.

Recommendation 2: Create a new Recording Defaults screen, like the one depicted in Figure 3, showing all five options (Episode Type, Keep at Most, Keep Until, Start, and Stop) along with the current values for each setting. This will permit users to simply and quickly review the current settings AND change them, without being bounced back to another screen.

I know this is a screen users will not user a lot, but as it is now, the option is difficult to get to and difficult to use. Please consider the above comments and improve this feature.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 - To Do List.JPG
  • 2 - Program Info Page.JPG
  • 3 - Program Recording Options.JPG

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,730 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:15 PM

(menu picture placeholder)

Attached Thumbnails

• 4.0 Record Defaults.JPG
  • 4.1 Episode Type.JPG
  • 4.1.1 Episode Type Options.JPG
  • 4.2.1 Keep at Most Options.JPG
  • 4.3.1 Keep Until Options.JPG
  • 4.4.1 Start Options.JPG
  • 4.5.1 Stop Options.JPG

#3 OFFLINE   oakwcj

oakwcj

Lower Echelon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:01 PM

+700

#4 OFFLINE   waynebtx

waynebtx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationKingsville,Texas

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:08 PM

This sure would make things a lot better if theye would do it.

Wayne

Slimline dish SWIM16
Sharp LC-60E78UN
HD-A30 w/ Harmony 880
HR34-700/AM21 w/ Harmony 880.
1 C31-700

HR44-200

HR24-100

H25-100

Marantz NR1603 A/V 7.1

All Wired Networked
Xbox 360
retired USN , retired Boeing, retired L3COM, just plain tired

#5 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:15 PM

In your Fig 2 if you move down to rec series, hit enter, it gives you the option for the number of episodes you wish to keep.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#6 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:25 PM

Recommendation 1 seems so simple.

There is plenty of room.

Rec. Defaults makes the HR20 so much more usable.

They are a so buried that even advanced users have never seen them.

- Craig

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:34 PM

I saw them the 1st day I had the thing. What is so hard about using this thing the way it is? This box even as it stands today is worlds more easy to use than any DTivo I ever had....please please leave it be and just make sure it keeps getting more and more reliable b4 making ANY more changes to the way it works....

#8 OFFLINE   Mugatu

Mugatu

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:46 PM

Sure, these menus should be easier to find. By reading your posts I have learned about them and at least can use them. I have been wanting to set the default to keep to 2 or 3 since 5 HD programs take up a lot of space. Anyway, thanks for letting me know about menus that I had not previously known about.

--Mugatu

#9 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,730 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:53 PM

In your Fig 2 if you move down to rec series, hit enter, it gives you the option for the number of episodes you wish to keep.

Yes, but that only changes that option for the CURRENT series link you are editing. This thread is talking about chaning options for RECORDING DEFAULTS, which affects all new series link that you create.

#10 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,730 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:58 PM

I saw them the 1st day I had the thing. What is so hard about using this thing the way it is? This box even as it stands today is worlds more easy to use than any DTivo I ever had....please please leave it be and just make sure it keeps getting more and more reliable b4 making ANY more changes to the way it works....

IMO, there is nothing intuitive about setting recording defaults. DirecTV has been updating the UI incrementally since the beginning, so I see this as just one more interface update needed. Move the record default settings to their own screen and make them easy to get to.

I don't understand the plea to leave it as is, because the options just don't make sense where they are, and the implementation is unlike every recording setting on the HR20. It's as if the programmer who was supposed to create the recordings options screen called in sick, and the programmer who created the Sort Options menu for the Playlist took over to create a Recording Defaults menu. :)

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:56 AM

IMO, there is nothing intuitive about setting recording defaults. DirecTV has been updating the UI incrementally since the beginning, so I see this as just one more interface update needed. Move the record default settings to their own screen and make them easy to get to.

I don't understand the plea to leave it as is, because the options just don't make sense where they are, and the implementation is unlike every recording setting on the HR20. It's as if the programmer who was supposed to create the recordings options screen called in sick, and the programmer who created the Sort Options menu for the Playlist took over to create a Recording Defaults menu. :)

Am I about the only one here that doesnt suffer from some form of dementia? Don't any of you remember back to the day you got your 1st DTivo? Until you got used to the way it worked, and understood all the menus and functions, it was NOT easy to use. Sure it was worlds better than what we had b4 that(VCRs), and I think that is what everyone is remembering. The Tivo peanut used to give me hand cramps until I got used to it, because it was completely different than any other remotes I had at the time.

My plea to leave it as it is, is to get it completely reliable and stable 1st, THEN I'm all for adding all kinds of new features, and tweaking the menus and GUI. Mine is really stable, I've missed all of maybe 1 or 2 recordings since October when I had it installed. But apparently that is not the norm if you look at this board. Until almost all the missed recording, reset, etc., etc., posts are gone, leave it alone and let the programmers concentrate on reliability and stability for everyone.

Lets get the big ones first:

CIR
DLB

I'm sure there are a few others, lets say the top 5 on the wishlist, or at least the remaining few promised features that were supposed to be there at release time.

#12 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:27 AM

Thanks. I'd go for just adding the option on "Screen 1" between "Manual" and "Done" -- no need to repeat it all over for something you probably only do once.

Failing that, perhaps it should be under "Help & Settings" with all the other settings that are or should be collected there.
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#13 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:40 AM

Thanks for posting this Drew2k, I was considering changing my options but I was reluctant since I was going to need to search Craig's pdf to find it again.

I CAN'T AGREE WITH YOU MORE! D* PLEASE FIX THIS!

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#14 OFFLINE   MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:43 AM

Wow!! I never saw that option in the Menu settings. Thanks for pointing it out. When I get home tonight, I'm going to go in and set all of the defaults to what I typically use so I don't have to do it for every single SL that I set up. Thanks Drew2k!
<p>HR44-700 Toshiba 55SV670U | HDMI to Denon AVR-1909| Native On | All Resolutions Selected | DD On | DECA | SWiM | Harmony One | HR24-100 Philips 37PFL5322D/37 | HDMI to TV | Native on | All resolutions Selected | DD Off | DECA | SWiM | Harmony 880 | HR24-100 Sony KDL40V2500| HDMI to TV | Digital Optical Audio out to Yamaha HTR-5490| Native On | All Resolutions selected | DD | DECA | SWiM | Harmony 880

#15 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:43 AM

Am I about the only one here that doesnt suffer from some form of dementia? Don't any of you remember back to the day you got your 1st DTivo? Until you got used to the way it worked, and understood all the menus and functions, it was NOT easy to use. Sure it was worlds better than what we had b4 that(VCRs), and I think that is what everyone is remembering. The Tivo peanut used to give me hand cramps until I got used to it, because it was completely different than any other remotes I had at the time.

My plea to leave it as it is, is to get it completely reliable and stable 1st, THEN I'm all for adding all kinds of new features, and tweaking the menus and GUI. Mine is really stable, I've missed all of maybe 1 or 2 recordings since October when I had it installed. But apparently that is not the norm if you look at this board. Until almost all the missed recording, reset, etc., etc., posts are gone, leave it alone and let the programmers concentrate on reliability and stability for everyone.

CIR
DLB

I'm sure there are a few others, lets say the top 5 on the wishlist, or at least the remaining few promised features that were supposed to be there at release time.

CCarncross, I don't agree with you on this issue. I think some of your assumptions are wrong.

1. I agree that there is a learning curve with all interfaces. However, aninterface that easy to use must be consistant, and options must be obvious. The way I see it, this part of the interface is neither. I'm glad you found it on day one, but it would never have occured to me to press menu on that screen, and thus I never knew the recording defaults existed.

2. You seem to assume that they cannot continue to increase stability, add our most wanted (or promised) features and address this issue as well. Perhaps I'm an optimist, but I think that we can have it all. Many of us have stable machines. Others don't, but we know that D* is working on those issues. I think that D* is best served by working on a combination of stability, new features and ease of use items at the same time.

Let's put this on the wish list and see where it falls on the priority list.
DogLover

My Setup

#16 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,730 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:47 AM

Am I about the only one here that doesnt suffer from some form of dementia? Don't any of you remember back to the day you got your 1st DTivo? Until you got used to the way it worked, and understood all the menus and functions, it was NOT easy to use.

I don't see what that has to do with improving the HR20. DirecTV is actively responding to user feedback improving the HR20 features and interface, and I'm pointing out an inconsistency. The fact that it takes time to learn where this feature (recording defaults) is buried takes nothing away from the fact that it is in the WRONG place, and is implemented in a manner inconsistent with the rest of the settings on the HR20.

My plea to leave it as it is, is to get it completely reliable and stable 1st, THEN I'm all for adding all kinds of new features, and tweaking the menus and GUI.

Mine is really stable, I've missed all of maybe 1 or 2 recordings since October when I had it installed. But apparently that is not the norm if you look at this board. Until almost all the missed recording, reset, etc., etc., posts are gone, leave it alone and let the programmers concentrate on reliability and stability for everyone.

CIR
DLB

You must be terribly upset at all the incremental changes made and being made: Guide scrolling speed, List sort preferences, White GUI, FFW Correction, etc. I'm pleased as punch that DirecTV is making these changes. By the way, per Earl, they're working on CIR, so they can certainly also be working on other smaller problems in the meantime. Just as you have a preference for the order DirecTV fixes/improves things, I'd much rather they fix EXISTING problems (like that pointed out in this thread) than add new features like DLB. But I'll take whatever updates DirecTV makes ... improvement is good. :)

#17 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,730 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:49 AM

Thanks. I'd go for just adding the option on "Screen 1" between "Manual" and "Done" -- no need to repeat it all over for something you probably only do once.

Failing that, perhaps it should be under "Help & Settings" with all the other settings that are or should be collected there.

I didn't even think of that, but you're right ... maybe they could squeeze it into the Settings pages somewhere. However, it would have to be a new top-level menu on the Settings screen, and they're almost out of room now. Also, this a function relating to recording, so I'd rather it be kept with other recording functions, which means keep it with the Prioritizer/To Do list screens...

#18 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,730 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:50 AM

CCarncross, I don't agree with you on this issue. [...]

Wow! Your post said very eloquently in much fewer words what I was trying to say in my response! :up:

#19 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,210 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:07 AM

Drew thanks for posting sometimes I even forget where these menus are.

JACK,

#20 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:04 AM

Better look out the window for flying pigs! :grin: I agree completely with Drew. There needs to be a simple way to set your default options. Having buried as deep as it is does no good.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

Protected By... spam firewall...And...