Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Networking Issues!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   greenwave

greenwave

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:45 AM

Hello friends,

I know I am late to the game but after months of attempts to hardwire my HR20 to my PC I finally acquiesced to the wireless world yesterday and purchased a Linksys game adapter. Instant connection to the internet, bravo HR20!

However, once I was able to get my PC to recognize the HR20 and access my media files, I came across the following issues/concerns, and am hoping that the folks on this fine forum can shed some light:

1. Photo PQ is, quite frankly, terrible. On my PC LCD monitor the pictures are correct ratio/size, colors are vibrant and impressive, and resolution is outstanding. On the HR20 those same photos are squished; appear blurry; and colors are muted. Are there settings I can adjust to improve the PQ and/or correct the size/ration issue? If not, doesn't this bode poorly for video transfer or VOD if and when those functions are enabled?

2. Music Library: I have 28 GB of music stored on a Seagate external hard drive attached to my PC. My iTunes program accesses all of it seamlessly. However, when I set up my Windows Media Player library a tiny fraction of my music appears without apparent rhyme or reason. I can't figure out why some artists don't show up at all, and for others I'll get one or two albums but not all of them. I've configured the WMP library to "monitor" the music folder on my Seagate that has all of my music but it simply won't add new artists or albums to the library. Any thoughts? (And FYI, I have most recent version of WMP, my PC is Viiv enabled, and I am running Vista Home Premium)

Many thanks in advance, and much appreciation for the very smart folks who lurk here!

Regards,

-- greenwave
DirecTV since 2002?
Slimline DIsh
HR20-700/OTA/Networked
HR10-250

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 855 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:32 AM

Hello friends,

I know I am late to the game but after months of attempts to hardwire my HR20 to my PC I finally acquiesced to the wireless world yesterday and purchased a Linksys game adapter. Instant connection to the internet, bravo HR20!

However, once I was able to get my PC to recognize the HR20 and access my media files, I came across the following issues/concerns, and am hoping that the folks on this fine forum can shed some light:

1. Photo PQ is, quite frankly, terrible. On my PC LCD monitor the pictures are correct ratio/size, colors are vibrant and impressive, and resolution is outstanding. On the HR20 those same photos are squished; appear blurry; and colors are muted. Are there settings I can adjust to improve the PQ and/or correct the size/ration issue? If not, doesn't this bode poorly for video transfer or VOD if and when those functions are enabled?

2. Music Library: I have 28 GB of music stored on a Seagate external hard drive attached to my PC. My iTunes program accesses all of it seamlessly. However, when I set up my Windows Media Player library a tiny fraction of my music appears without apparent rhyme or reason. I can't figure out why some artists don't show up at all, and for others I'll get one or two albums but not all of them. I've configured the WMP library to "monitor" the music folder on my Seagate that has all of my music but it simply won't add new artists or albums to the library. Any thoughts? (And FYI, I have most recent version of WMP, my PC is Viiv enabled, and I am running Vista Home Premium)

Many thanks in advance, and much appreciation for the very smart folks who lurk here!

Regards,

-- greenwave

Well WMP 11 will not play iTunes songs. You need to download Tversity http://www.tversity.com/home and it will show ALL you music.

It works very well for photos as well.

#3 OFFLINE   greenwave

greenwave

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:35 AM

Thanks. Will give it a try this evening.
DirecTV since 2002?
Slimline DIsh
HR20-700/OTA/Networked
HR10-250

#4 OFFLINE   judson_west

judson_west

Godfather

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:43 AM

TVersity does not work any better, for me, than WMP11 did for photos. Photos taken in a normal ratio, show up as very square photos on my 16:9 TV. Photos taken in a 3:2 ratio (some digital cameras provide this option) show up a little wider than normal. 35mm photos I've scanned display even wider and the only photos that fill the 16:9 screen are those taken with a camera that allows for 16:9 pictures (many newer cameras are starting to do this). However, at 16:9, the density is only about 2-3 megapixels. 4 at the tops. I believe that there is some downrezing going on here but I don't know where.

TVersity will transcode your Itunes (not bought) music to MP3 for the HR20 to play in real time. It does not recognize your Itunes playlists without a bit of Java programming.
Video/Audio 1: DirecTV HR24-500 (HDMI)-> Sony STR-DA5200ES -> Sony KDL-52XBR9
Video/Audio 2: DirecTV HR20-700 (HDMI) -> Sony KDL-32EX500
Video/Audio 3: DirecTV HR20-700 (HDMI) -> Sony KDL-40EX500

#5 OFFLINE   RehabMan

RehabMan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:00 AM

The PQ in photos is unlikely to get any better, from what I understand. The problem is that the HR20 renders its user interface (GUI) in 480p, then up converts it to the current resolution setting to the TV. So, since photos are rendered along with the HR20 GUI, photos are also rendered in a much lower resolution than your HD TV.

I would think the issues with the aspect ratio of the pictures can/should be fixed. Seems the HR20 is just stretching all the pictures, regardless of their aspect ratio. This is a bug.

Ideally the HR20 would render its GUI in the currently selected resolution of the display which would result in better photo PQ as well as new possibilities for the guide, list, and other functions of the GUI as well (for example, more guide data displayed and/or crisper text). Doing so, however, is probably a major effort, so I wouldn't hold my breath.
AU-9 to Zinwell 6x8, HR20-700 and H20-100 (component) to whole house Elan S12 system,
2x Sharp LC-32D62U (workout room, outdoor room), Sharp LC-42D62U (master bedroom), Gefen HD Mate Scaler to Gateway 17" 720p monitor (kitchen), Home Theatre still under construction
H20-600 to Sharp LC-37G4U in guest house

#6 OFFLINE   SockMonkey

SockMonkey

Icon

• Registered
  • 937 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:30 AM

Don't mean to HiJack this thread, but I also didn't want to start a completely new thread dealing with similar issues.

I have the most recent CE from this weekend on my HR20-700. For the past few releases, I have not been able to access pictures or music from my Vista Ultimate PC. It was working at one time, but I don't remember when it stopped.

Basically, it's like the two don't see each other on the network. My network is set up correctly on my HR20. The test passes when run. But, I never see the messages anymore about my computer logging on/off (like I used to on the HR20) and I don't have the option in the menu to view the media.

I've tried several times to navigate the menus and find something I'm missing, but I don't have a clue what else it could be. Anyone else have this issue? :confused:

My HR20 is hard wired to my network.
Bob

Signal: AU9 Slimline Dish/SWM-8/OTA

Receivers: HR22NC-100 w/AM-21 [CE:0x03A1] / HR20-700 [CE:0x03A8] / HR22-100 [CE:0x03A1]

See my full setup here.

#7 OFFLINE   RehabMan

RehabMan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:38 AM

Try going to WMP11 -> Library -> Media Sharing...

Make sure that you Allow media sharing to the "Unknown Device" (which is the HR20)...
AU-9 to Zinwell 6x8, HR20-700 and H20-100 (component) to whole house Elan S12 system,
2x Sharp LC-32D62U (workout room, outdoor room), Sharp LC-42D62U (master bedroom), Gefen HD Mate Scaler to Gateway 17" 720p monitor (kitchen), Home Theatre still under construction

#8 OFFLINE   SockMonkey

SockMonkey

Icon

• Registered
  • 937 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:50 AM

Try going to WMP11 -> Library -> Media Sharing...

Make sure that you Allow media sharing to the "Unknown Device" (which is the HR20)...

Thanks RehabMan...

However, I neglected to say that I did this as well. It shows up there, it's enabled, and I can even see the MAC address of the HR20. Oh, and the green circle with the checkmark inside it is shown on the "Unknown Device" icon. There are no other devices other than "Other users of this PC," "Xbox 360," and "Unknown Device."

Signal: AU9 Slimline Dish/SWM-8/OTA

Receivers: HR22NC-100 w/AM-21 [CE:0x03A1] / HR20-700 [CE:0x03A8] / HR22-100 [CE:0x03A1]

See my full setup here.

#9 OFFLINE   RehabMan

RehabMan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:57 AM

I take it your Xbox360 can see the media from WMP11?

As a shot in the dark, check Settings... under WMP11->Library->Media Sharing, and make sure you have some media (music, pictures, video) checked to share.

As second shot in the dark, check Customize... w/ HR20 (Unknown Device) and verify same thing as above.

Other than that, I don't know, because I have a very similar setup and it is working for me (I'm running the lastest CE, however).

BTW, compared to the Xbox360 media facilities, you're not missing anything with the HR20...

------------------

P.S. Side note to DirecTV - you should really fix that "Unknown Device" bug...

#10 OFFLINE   greenwave

greenwave

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:05 PM

TVersity does not work any better, for me, than WMP11 did for photos. Photos taken in a normal ratio, show up as very square photos on my 16:9 TV. Photos taken in a 3:2 ratio (some digital cameras provide this option) show up a little wider than normal. 35mm photos I've scanned display even wider and the only photos that fill the 16:9 screen are those taken with a camera that allows for 16:9 pictures (many newer cameras are starting to do this). However, at 16:9, the density is only about 2-3 megapixels. 4 at the tops. I believe that there is some downrezing going on here but I don't know where.

TVersity will transcode your Itunes (not bought) music to MP3 for the HR20 to play in real time. It does not recognize your Itunes playlists without a bit of Java programming.

That is helpful, thanks. When you say "not bought" I trust you mean that TVersity does not play the music purchased on Itunes because it is encrypted? But it should play everything else? If so I can live with that.
DirecTV since 2002?
Slimline DIsh
HR20-700/OTA/Networked
HR10-250

#11 OFFLINE   judson_west

judson_west

Godfather

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:12 PM

The purchased music is DRM'ed (Digital Rights Managed) and is capable of playing only on specific platforms (the PC you downloaded it onto and the registered Ipod). So ANY DRM'ed music will not play on the HR20 -- Itunes or not.

#12 OFFLINE   Animal

Animal

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:34 PM

I'm having the same problem. It used to work. I had WMP 11 with media sharing enabled. Now the option for Music and Photos doesn't show up on the menu. When I run the connection test, it says that the network is just fine. (interestingly, the test reported it could connect to the internet even when I had unplugged the dsl cable from the router). I cannot ping the hr20 from my PC, but I suppose this is due to some firewall\filtering software on the unit.

I've recently upgraded my router, but the firewall settings on the router indicate that all internal traffic is being passed, and it's only blocking outside traffic, so it shouldn't be affecting the connection to the HR20.

Any ideas?

I take it your Xbox360 can see the media from WMP11?

As a shot in the dark, check Settings... under WMP11->Library->Media Sharing, and make sure you have some media (music, pictures, video) checked to share.

As second shot in the dark, check Customize... w/ HR20 (Unknown Device) and verify same thing as above.

Other than that, I don't know, because I have a very similar setup and it is working for me (I'm running the lastest CE, however).

BTW, compared to the Xbox360 media facilities, you're not missing anything with the HR20...

------------------

P.S. Side note to DirecTV - you should really fix that "Unknown Device" bug...

#13 OFFLINE   SDizzle

SDizzle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,535 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:43 PM

I'm having the same problem. It used to work. I had WMP 11 with media sharing enabled. Now the option for Music and Photos doesn't show up on the menu. When I run the connection test, it says that the network is just fine. (interestingly, the test reported it could connect to the internet even when I had unplugged the dsl cable from the router). I cannot ping the hr20 from my PC, but I suppose this is due to some firewall\filtering software on the unit.

I've recently upgraded my router, but the firewall settings on the router indicate that all internal traffic is being passed, and it's only blocking outside traffic, so it shouldn't be affecting the connection to the HR20.

Any ideas?

I'm having the exact same issue....cannot ping it, media sharing in WMP11 is checked....but no go? HR20 says it can connect to the network and internet? Anyone have answers???
HR34-700 (1), HR23-700 (1), HR22-100 (1), HR20-700 (1), HR21-700 (1), HR21-100 (1)
Running a SWM16 with DECA
Retired: HR20-700 (1), HR10-250 (1), R10 (1), DTivo DSR-704 (1), D-10 (4), D-11 (4), R15-500 (4)

#14 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:08 PM

I am in the same boat as you all are reporting loss of the media share all together. Although this is not a CE thread I reverted back to x168 to see if it helped and it did not. I have had some luck with Nero7 seeing the device, but then I was going to have to learn how to use Nero Scout and I just gave up in frustration.

#15 OFFLINE   RehabMan

RehabMan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:44 PM

I think getting this to work may be highly dependent on your router. I had a bit of trouble w/ my net configuration over the weekend:

1. My Linksys BEFW11S4 v4, with latest firmware, would lose connection to my ISP whenever I tried to stream video (from MSNBC, or CMT.COM, for example). To fix, I decided to upgrade to a router I had laying around...

2. My D-Link DIR-625, didn't crash when trying to stream video but it was also pig-dog slow and the video would start and stop like rush hour traffic in downtown Seattle...

At that point, I tried connecting directly to the ISP modem, and then everything was fine. Obviously, there are a lot of bugs in these routers...

3. At this point I am running on a very old, but very very simple router: A Netgear RT311 (this thing is probably 6 years old)...

The RT311 does not support many of the new router features (UPnP?), and I suspect that is why HR20 MediaShare as of this morning is not working at my house either. Interestingly enough, my Xbox360 still does.

Long story short: Time to upgrade my router, I guess...

#16 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 855 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:51 PM

The purchased music is DRM'ed (Digital Rights Managed) and is capable of playing only on specific platforms (the PC you downloaded it onto and the registered Ipod). So ANY DRM'ed music will not play on the HR20 -- Itunes or not.

All my music form the iTunes store will work with Tversity. I also convertdd them to mp3 and it works with WMP11

I can play my entire iTunes library.

#17 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:03 PM

I have had issues on and off with trying to play music and show pictures thru my HR20. It is connected to my network and all tests complete successfully. Frankly, the HR20 just is not yet ready for prime time when it come to this. I have an Xbox360 sitting right next to it connected to my network the same way (wireless) and it works perfectly, first time every time and the pictures are in their full HD glory....DTV has a long way to go to come close...
Mark

HR34-700, Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
HR21-200, Samsung UN-60ES8000
C31, Samsung PN-42A450
H25-700, Samsung LN-S3296D

#18 OFFLINE   judson_west

judson_west

Godfather

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:19 PM

All my music form the iTunes store will work with Tversity. I also convertdd them to mp3 and it works with WMP11

I can play my entire iTunes library.

I was repeating what I had heard and don't have any direct evidence of what I said. What you've said makes sense because the original file is being "played" on the licensed PC then transcoded to MP3 minus the DRM thus it can be played on the HR20. Thanks for the education.

#19 OFFLINE   judson_west

judson_west

Godfather

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:23 PM

The only problems I had were configuring the game adapter for my network. Once through that, I started with WMP11 then graduated to TVersity. Sill no problem. I was showing some pictures this weekend and played about 52 pictures without a hitch. Some of my pictures are scanned 35mm slides and they are 17MB in size. They take a bit longer to load than my digital camera photos, but they do load.

#20 OFFLINE   greenwave

greenwave

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:36 PM

The only problems I had were configuring the game adapter for my network. Once through that, I started with WMP11 then graduated to TVersity. Sill no problem. I was showing some pictures this weekend and played about 52 pictures without a hitch. Some of my pictures are scanned 35mm slides and they are 17MB in size. They take a bit longer to load than my digital camera photos, but they do load.

How do they look? Are the aspect ratios correct, and the resolution good?
DirecTV since 2002?
Slimline DIsh
HR20-700/OTA/Networked
HR10-250

Protected By... spam firewall...And...