Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Networking Issues!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Animal

Animal

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:29 PM

A couple of more things: going back to the old router didn't help; and my son's Xbox 360 picks up the media shares just fine. Must be a problem on the HR20 side, I suppose.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   greenwave

greenwave

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:35 PM

Downloaded TVersity and populated my library, and everything is now there and showing up on my HR20 but...it won't let me actually play any of the music. I get an error message.

Photos work fine but still have the rendering/squeezing issue. PQ is better than through WMP though.
DirecTV since 2002?
Slimline DIsh
HR20-700/OTA/Networked
HR10-250

#23 OFFLINE   alaskahill

alaskahill

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwave View Post
1. Photo PQ is, quite frankly, terrible. On my PC LCD monitor the pictures are correct ratio/size, colors are vibrant and impressive, and resolution is outstanding. On the HR20 those same photos are squished; appear blurry; and colors are muted. Are there settings I can adjust to improve the PQ and/or correct the size/ration issue? If not, doesn't this bode poorly for video transfer or VOD if and when those functions are enabled?

The PQ in photos is unlikely to get any better, from what I understand. The problem is that the HR20 renders its user interface (GUI) in 480p, then up converts it to the current resolution setting to the TV. So, since photos are rendered along with the HR20 GUI, photos are also rendered in a much lower resolution than your HD TV.

I would think the issues with the aspect ratio of the pictures can/should be fixed. Seems the HR20 is just stretching all the pictures, regardless of their aspect ratio. This is a bug.

Ideally the HR20 would render its GUI in the currently selected resolution of the display which would result in better photo PQ as well as new possibilities for the guide, list, and other functions of the GUI as well (for example, more guide data displayed and/or crisper text). Doing so, however, is probably a major effort, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Can we post a summary of this in the Networking sticky?

In my case when I set up networking the photo sharing capability was the main thing I wanted. My music system is a separate system in separate rooms driven by a laptop. So, the music feature is cool but not the killer feature.

I create a lot of photo DVDs which are restricted to 480p. I was looking for forward to a way of viewing photos in their full HD glory on a 60 inch set. Unfortunately they looked worse than the DVDs I produce (which makes sense if the issue is as described above).

I spent a lot of time searching the forums here to try find ways of addressing this and finally found this thread, but it would have helped a lot if I had my quality expectations set properly upfront. It wouldn't have changed me setting up networking or even trying the photo feature (because it still a very cool capability and I really do hope they address this:)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...