Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Big Ten Network to Launch Aug 30

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:15 AM

Has there ever been a network launch that has caused this much fuss with sports fans? I think the controversy over BTN has been much more than NFL Network last summer targeting MSO's that didn't carry NFL.

http://www.bigtennet...rticleSource=26

Dish Network (February 2002-August 2005)
Mediacom (August 2005-1/27/07)
DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

Dish Network (4/14 - ??)  Hopper, Super Joey, and two Joey receivers.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:29 AM

Who cares about the Big Ten? Let's get an Ivy League network.

#3 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:33 AM

Who cares about the Big Ten? Let's get an Ivy League network.

I sure don't.....GO BIG RED!

DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

#4 ONLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,390 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:39 AM

Orange and Blue....GO GATORS
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#5 OFFLINE   MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:49 AM

How about a Big 12 network!!???:D
<p>HR44-700 Toshiba 55SV670U | HDMI to Denon AVR-1909| Native On | All Resolutions Selected | DD On | DECA | SWiM | Harmony One | HR24-100 Philips 37PFL5322D/37 | HDMI to TV | Native on | All resolutions Selected | DD Off | DECA | SWiM | Harmony 880 | HR24-100 Sony KDL40V2500| HDMI to TV | Digital Optical Audio out to Yamaha HTR-5490| Native On | All Resolutions selected | DD | DECA | SWiM | Harmony 880

#6 OFFLINE   convem24

convem24

Icon

• Registered
  • 642 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:53 AM

How about the PAC 10 network?

#7 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:54 AM

How about a Big 12 network!!???:D

It's been talked about, but not going to happen for several years as the Big 12 recently redid their TV contracts.

DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

#8 OFFLINE   N5XZS

N5XZS

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:55 AM

As here in the Mountain West, we are still waiting for the Drirectv to carry The MTN TV channel!:mad:

I have not seen my beloved UNM Lobos games in over a year!!

It used to be on free OTA local channels, but sadly not anymore........:(

7-2-07
"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper....

#9 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:59 AM

As here in the Mountain West, we are still waiting for the Drirectv to carry The MTN TV channel!:mad:

I have not seen my beloved UNM Lobos games in over a year!!

It used to be on free OTA local channels, but sadly not anymore........:(

7-2-07

Anyone know why D* hasn't picked up that network? Then again, look at how long it's taken D* to add The Tennis Channel.

DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

#10 OFFLINE   gobucks100

gobucks100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:02 PM

I noticed from the Big ten network football schedule for the first 3 weeks that they will be covering up to 5 Big 10 games games at the same time and broadcasting them regionally to the local cable companies. It also states that BTN will provide overflow feeds so multiple games can be shown on different channels when games overlap. Will DTV be showing all of the games on multiple channels?

With Michigan, Penn State and Ohio State all playing games at the same time on the BTN, I expect DTV customer service lines will light up it they are not showing all of the games. I know I will be calling if the Buckeye game is not available. The best will be all games are available on free overflow channels. If not, maybe the overflow games will be part of ESPN Game plan.

Also all of the games are suppose to be HD on BTN. What do you think the chances are of all concurrent games being shown in HD once the new bird is up and running?

#11 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:07 PM

I noticed from the Big ten network football schedule for the first 3 weeks that they will be covering up to 5 Big 10 games games at the same time and broadcasting them regionally to the local cable companies. It also states that BTN will provide overflow feeds so multiple games can be shown on different channels when games overlap. Will DTV be showing all of the games on multiple channels?

With Michigan, Penn State and Ohio State all playing games at the same time on the BTN, I expect DTV customer service lines will light up it they are not showing all of the games. I know I will be calling if the Buckeye game is not available. The best will be all games are available on free overflow channels. If not, maybe the overflow games will be part of ESPN Game plan.

Also all of the games are suppose to be HD on BTN. What do you think the chances are of all concurrent games being shown in HD once the new bird is up and running?

I'm pretty sure D* will be setting up BTN "alternate channels". Wether or not everyone will have access to the alternate channels or just the home state of whatever Big 10 team is playing remains to be seen.

DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

#12 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:34 PM

Check this out:

http://www.bigtennet...ticleSource=418

"Whenever the Big Ten Network is producing more than one game at a time, cable and satellite providers that have agreed to carry the Big Ten Network will be offered the chance to carry the additional games via "overflow" channels. For example, let's assume that at noon ET one Saturday the Big Ten Network is producing two games (Penn State vs. Illinois and Michigan vs. Northwestern). If the Penn State-Illinois game is airing on the Big Ten Network, your cable or satellite system will be given the rights to carry the Michigan-Northwestern game on an "overflow" channel."

So they will have the rights to do so, but will they? I guess that remains to be seen. I would certainly expect it happen from the "Worldwide Leader in Sports Televison", D*:)

#13 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:56 PM

Anyone know why D* hasn't picked up that network? Then again, look at how long it's taken D* to add The Tennis Channel.

My advice which I used to try to get D to carry TTC is--make a lot of phone calls, write lots of letters, send lots of e-mails out. And one last thing that I didn't think of doing until very late in the process and that is saying--D is the leader in Sports Programming so why haven't you picked up____? In your case it would be MTN. But you have to work at it HARD. I worked for 3 years to get TTC so sometimes it isn't easy :(

#14 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:19 PM

Big Ten games will no longer be part of ESPN Game Plan starting this season. Not all of the games will be in HD. According to the Big Ten Network site a "vast majority" will be in HD, not all. Also Non-Conference away games will not be on the BTN.

Schedule for the 1st 3 weeks:

http://www.bigtennet...rticleSource=24
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#15 OFFLINE   gobucks100

gobucks100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:27 PM

Big Ten games will no longer be part of ESPN Game Plan starting this season. Not all of the games will be in HD. According to the Big Ten Network site a "vast majority" will be in HD, not all. Also Non-Conference away games will not be on the BTN.

Schedule for the 1st 3 weeks:

http://www.bigtennet...rticleSource=24

Some Big Ten games will be on Game Plan. Any Big Ten game that ABC shows regionally that are not shown on your local ABC station will be on Game Plan. The syndicated Big 10 games that Game Plan use to show on ESPN Plus will now only be available on the BTN. ABC/ESPN still get to pick their games first with any games left over that use to go to syndication will now only be on the BTN.

With less Big Ten games on Game Plan and the poor video quality of Game Plan (does not look like Game Plan will be HD this year), I probably will be not renew game plan this year. I am just hoping that D* picks up all of the overflow games when BTN is showing 5 concurrent games regionally.

#16 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:50 PM

Some Big Ten games will be on Game Plan. Any Big Ten game that ABC shows regionally that are not shown on your local ABC station will be on Game Plan. The syndicated Big 10 games that Game Plan use to show on ESPN Plus will now only be available on the BTN. ABC/ESPN still get to pick their games first with any games left over that use to go to syndication will now only be on the BTN.

With less Big Ten games on Game Plan and the poor video quality of Game Plan (does not look like Game Plan will be HD this year), I probably will be not renew game plan this year. I am just hoping that D* picks up all of the overflow games when BTN is showing 5 concurrent games regionally.

No the ones shown regionally that are not on ABC will end up on ESPN/ESPN2 or gulp ESPNU. No more Game Plan per the BTN. From the Big Ten site:

Q: In the past, I was able watch Big Ten games produced by ESPN Regional via pay-per-view on ESPN GamePlan or ESPN Full Court. Will Big Ten Network-produced football and men's basketball games be available on ESPN GamePlan or ESPN Full Court?

A: Big Ten Network games will not be part of the GamePlan or Full Court packages, but the BTN is making all of the games it produces available to cable and satellite operators as part of their agreements to carry the Big Ten Network. Whenever the Big Ten Network is producing more than one game at a time, cable and satellite providers that have agreed to carry the Big Ten Network will be offered the chance to carry the additional games via "overflow" channels. For example, let's assume that at noon ET one Saturday the Big Ten Network is producing two games (Penn State vs. Illinois and Michigan vs. Northwestern). If the Penn State-Illinois game is airing on the Big Ten Network, your cable or satellite system will be given the rights to carry the Michigan-Northwestern game on an "overflow" channel. Overall, the Big Ten Network will be producing significantly more football and men's basketball games than have aired regionally in recent years, and these games will be made available to all cable and satellite systems as part of their contracts to carry the Big Ten Network.

Q: Will the Big Ten Network carry the games I want to see?

A: The Big Ten Conference has entered into long-term agreements with ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 and the Big Ten Network for its home football games. The agreement with the Big Ten Network lasts for 20 years. As part of this agreement, the Big Ten Network will be able to air over 35 football games per year. In the selection process, the Big Ten Network will be able to choose 2nd three times and 3rd three times during the 12-week season, so half the time the network will have either the second or third pick of games. Once ESPN and ESPN2 have selected their games, all remaining games will be produced and distributed by the Big Ten Network.

Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#17 OFFLINE   gobucks100

gobucks100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:27 PM

No the ones shown regionally that are not on ABC will end up on ESPN/ESPN2 or gulp ESPNU. No more Game Plan per the BTN. From the Big Ten site:

Hi Dan,

The games that the BTN is talking about are the syndicated games that were on ESPN Plus or ESPN regional as they called it in their Q and A. These previously syndicated games will only now be on BTN. ESPN/ABC will always get first pick and the first pick may be only shown regionally on ABC. If you want to see this game, if not on your local ABC, you will need Game Plan. I believe we will continue to see 1 abc game, and 2 espn big ten games like in years past (which could be espnu) with the rest falling to BTN. The order that ESPN/ABC and BTN pick is determined by contract as you pointed out in the 2nd Q and A question. Their answer to that question is a little confusing because they left ABC out of the answer. Most of the time BTN is picking 4th as they only get to pick 2nd and 3rd 3 times each during the entire season.

I could not copy the FAQ from D* on Game plan but if you go to the below link and click on FAQ for gameplan, it explains the 2 components of how games get on Game plan. The Big ten is not participating in the syndicated games as BTN has them.

http://directv.com/D...assetId=1000006

Bottom line, I hope D* makes available all of the BTN games as they are broadcasting 4 to 5 big ten games a week at the same time when you look at the BTN schedule for the first 3 weeks.

Jeff

#18 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:44 PM

http://mattsarz44017...oadcasters.html

Thats a GREAT site for this kind of stuff including college TV Schedules, Matt does a helluva job. I keep his site bookmarked.
Dan Sholtis

#19 OFFLINE   myselfalso

myselfalso

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:19 PM

What channel is BTN going to be on? Is it going to be in the Sports Pack realm, or down in the 200s with ESPN?
I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 2005.

A few channels I'd still like to see DirecTV add are:
CSPAN3, the PAC-12 Network(s), BBC World and more international news channels.

#20 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:00 AM

Most of the time BTN is picking 4th as they only get to pick 2nd and 3rd 3 times each during the entire season.

The BTN picks 2nd for three weeks, picks 3rd for three weeks, and picks 4th for three weeks.

So 2/3rds of the time, they will pick at least one game ahead of ESPN Networks, meaning that you can expect to see games on BTN that you used to see on ESPN/ESPN2.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...