Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help Selecting Antenna

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   omj

omj

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:54 AM

I just had the HR20 installed and I thought that since my locals broadcast in HD I would recieve them in HD. Apparently not. I am wondering if someone could help me with some different antennas I could get. Is there one that is small you can have inside or am I going to need one of those big ugly ones mounted to the roof? Also, you would think since you are paying for locals and HD service they would be kind enough to also send you the HD feeds from the channels that are labeled NBC East and NBC west. I was all excited about watching the race this weekend in HD. That's not going to happen unless I get an antenna. I should have tried to read everything before signing that contract. The antenna will also help when football season rolls around. This local channels deal is a bit disappointing since all I am gaining from the hd service is 24 hours of law and order on tnt and espn. Can someone please recommend an antenna? Maybe one you can pick up at Walmart.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:01 AM

try www.antennaweb.org run by the CEA. They are for outdoor antennas, though. If you live close enough,(15 miles or less) you may be able to use a silver sensor or a terk HDTVi I use the HDTVi. I am about 12 miles from the antenna farm on top of South Mountain in Phoenix and I get 100% on all but one or two and they are at 60%.

#3 OFFLINE   loves2watch

loves2watch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:02 AM

Many local HD channels are not broadcast on satellite because the satellite provider has not yet signed a deal with the local stations to re-broadcast the signal. Yes, the satellite provider does in fact have to get permission to do so and pay a small fee for the privilege. Previously, the sat providers get the large market HD stations first then the others at a later date. My market, for example will be one of the last so I use an antenna for my local HD signal and it is great.

Antenna selection depends on your location, how far you are away from the transmitters and terrain. There are many solutions available and if you give some more info, I will be glad to assist.
Anthem, Conrad Johnson, Dish Network/JVC, Dynaudio, Infinity, Integra, JL Audio, Klipsch, Magnepan, Marantz, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Oppo, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, Paradigm, REL, Sumiko, SVSound, and Toshiba are the brands equipment I currently use. I have owned/used and tested equipment made by just about any manufacturer you can name.

#4 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:08 AM

I just had the HR20 installed and I thought that since my locals broadcast in HD I would recieve them in HD. Apparently not. I am wondering if someone could help me with some different antennas I could get. Is there one that is small you can have inside or am I going to need one of those big ugly ones mounted to the roof? Also, you would think since you are paying for locals and HD service they would be kind enough to also send you the HD feeds from the channels that are labeled NBC East and NBC west. I was all excited about watching the race this weekend in HD. That's not going to happen unless I get an antenna. I should have tried to read everything before signing that contract. The antenna will also help when football season rolls around. This local channels deal is a bit disappointing since all I am gaining from the hd service is 24 hours of law and order on tnt and espn. Can someone please recommend an antenna? Maybe one you can pick up at Walmart.

Before you waste you money buying something you don't need, call the guys at solidsignal.com and discuss your situation with them. They can evaluate your needs on the phone with you (based on your location), and they have very good antennas of all sorts at reasonable prices. Lots of people do business with them over the net and have had uniformly good results. (me included).

This will prevent you from buying something you don't need, or won't work well. Going to Wally World is NOT a solution unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing. Mostly, you will waste your money unless you are plain lucky. (nothing against wally world...I shop there all the time...but I know exactly what I want and why)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#5 OFFLINE   omj

omj

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:10 AM

I live about 30 miles south of Lexington, Ky. Rabbit ears always seemed to pick up decent when I have used them before. It wasn't crystal clear but watchable.

#6 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:12 AM

I live about 30 miles south of Lexington, Ky. Rabbit ears always seemed to pick up decent when I have used them before. It wasn't crystal clear but watchable.

If you're talking about your analog reception (crystal clear), that is no test for how it will work for HD on the HR20. The HR20 tuner is "very" picky, and Rabbit Ears are going to produce "spotty" results, unless the person is just lucky.

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#7 OFFLINE   omj

omj

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:17 AM

I just meant that it might help judge how close I was with the reception. I need to try and find something soon. Why can't they just give you access to the hd channels they already have? I don't care if it's new york.

#8 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:28 AM

At that distance you will most likely need an outdoor antenna. As hasan said, give the guys at solid signal a call.

#9 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:32 AM

I just meant that it might help judge how close I was with the reception. I need to try and find something soon. Why can't they just give you access to the hd channels they already have? I don't care if it's new york.

Market wise, it just doesn't work that way...it is not permitted to go outside your market (regulation based, D* doesn't have a choice)

Your OTA reception is not just a simple matter of how many miles...it involves terrain (hills/mountains/building reflections, etc). Do you need VHF and UHF to get your HD channels, or UHF only? If it's UHF only, I'd go to your local Radio Shack and buy (for 25 bucks) a U-75. Put it outside on a mast in the clear and you should do very, very well. If not outside, you can try an attic or closet, the higher the better. If it doesn't work, you can take it back.

Because there are so many variables to consider, I suggest you call the solidsignal people and get the right thing the first time.

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#10 OFFLINE   John4924

John4924

Icon

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:33 AM

Because the local channel will have to give you a waiver [to receive the national feed], something they are not likely to do if the local digital is operational.

I would do as they suggest by calling solidsignal. Is there a way you can mount the antenna in your attic? For my case here in New Orleans, this works just fine. I have about a $30 VHF/UHF antenna from radioshack that works very well for me. Right now [until the new sat is activated], you can diplex the antenna signal with the sat signal so you will not have to run an additional cable.

Hope this helps some,
John

#11 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:45 AM

If you post your zip code then we can give you some location-specific advice about which antenna to buy.

#12 OFFLINE   omj

omj

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:48 AM

#13 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:51 AM

http://www.antennawe...w/Stations.aspx
click show digital only

#14 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:53 AM

OK...I'll try one more time.

antennaweb.org is way out of date...it doesn't list all the stations in your area (frequently). In the time going back and forth on the forum, the information (the right information) would already be in the OP's hands, if a google and then a toll free phone call would have been made.

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#15 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:59 AM

OK...I'll try one more time.

antennaweb.org is way out of date...it doesn't list all the stations in your area (frequently). In the time going back and forth on the forum, the information (the right information) would already be in the OP's hands, if a google and then a toll free phone call would have been made.

true, it says on the website all stations may not be listed (the OP will know if they are not) but now they know it's a small directional antenna. What brand etc. can be discussed when solid is called

#16 OFFLINE   John4924

John4924

Icon

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:05 AM

Here is an FCC site that will list all channels in your area...

http://www.fcc.gov/f.../audio/tvq.html

You can filter the data to digital only. There is much information at this site. Just cruise around a bit....

#17 OFFLINE   omj

omj

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:18 AM

Who knew choosing an antenna would require such effort. Maybe I can swing by radio shack on lunch.

#18 OFFLINE   Jaysv

Jaysv

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:49 AM

It doesn't solve your local HD problem, but if "the race" is the Pepsi 400, then it is being broadcast on the 24 hour law and order channel.

As for the antenna, if you are comfortable with trial and error, pick one up and give it shot, that's what I did.

#19 OFFLINE   omj

omj

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:13 AM

Great. I didn't know that the race would be on TNT. I thought it was going to be on NBC. I still went by radio shack at lunch and the guy recommended one of the indoor antennas. It was 32 dollars. He said if I wasn't happy with it I could return it but that was the one he recommended. I figured he would try to sell one of the higher priced ones. I will try it this evening.

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:23 AM

For some this may be overkill, & for others it may be just right. I just found it [from another forum] and has some of the best spec's I've seen for UHF: http://www.antennasd...TV_antenna.html
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall