Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need Two Feeds From Dish to HR20???

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   5678YN

5678YN

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:36 AM

D* is coming Thur to install 5 lnb & HR20 equip upgrade. Am I correct in assuming they will need to run a 2nd feed from the dish to the DVR if I want to record a program at the same time I am watching a different channel??? Don't want to add this second feed if I don't have to.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:41 AM

D* is coming Thur to install 5 lnb & HR20 equip upgrade. Am I correct in assuming they will need to run a 2nd feed from the dish to the DVR if I want to record a program at the same time I am watching a different channel??? Don't want to add this second feed if I don't have to.

Thanks

Yes, you are correct. They will run the second feed as part of the installation.

#3 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:46 AM

Thanks

If you would like to record two shows at the same time or record one and watch one you will need to have two lines to the HR20 right now. Later this year Directv will be coming out with a SWM (single wire multi-switch). This will allow you to only have one line connected to the HR20 and be able to use both tuners.

#4 OFFLINE   eahmjh

eahmjh

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:48 AM

That is correct. We have in the bedroom an HR20 with only one cable attached and all works fine. If the need to record something then we must either watch it or set it record at a different time. Have not had the chance to install the WB68 and run the 2nd cable but will have to wait until later this year and way to hot in attic and in Texas the attic is not the place to be during the summer.

P.S. Earl how does one get to be a tester for SWM module?
HR20-700: HDMI 1080i to Sony KDL-46XBR2
HR21-100: HDMI 720p to Sylvania 6632LG
H21-200: HDMI 720P to Sony KDL-26L5000
Monster Power Center HTS-3600MKII
Sony STR-DG800: Optical to HR20
Bose 301, VSC-10, 161 speakers
Velodyne VRP1000 subwoofer
AT9 5 LNB; Zinwel WB-68 Mulitswitch

#5 OFFLINE   5678YN

5678YN

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:02 AM

So than one line is OK if I want to record anything at any time if I am not watching another channel while recording???

#6 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:08 AM

So than one line is OK if I want to record anything at any time if I am not watching another channel while recording???

Yes you are able to use the HR20 with only one line. But if you are recording something you will have to watch what is recording.

#7 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,553 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:01 AM

Yes you are able to use the HR20 with only one line. But if you are recording something you will have to watch what is recording.

.... or watch a previously recorded show.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#8 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:08 AM

Additionally, depending on you location, and the strength of you OTA signals, you can plug a set top antenna into the HR20 and record HD over the air. You would be able to record up to 2 OTA programs at a time or one OTA and one SAT (while watching a 3rd prerecorded program.)

For many people, a simple, unamplified, indoor UHF antenna will pick up lots of stations. Worth a try if you have an old antenna in the closet. Like I said, it all depends on your location.

#9 OFFLINE   5678YN

5678YN

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:24 PM

cygnusloop thank you. Yes I have OTA HD now that is the main reason I haven't gone to the 5 lnb dish sooner. I am about 50 miles from the towers and my naked (no rotor / amp) CM4228 works like a champ.

spam firewall