Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WeaKnees Now Offering HR20 Upgrades

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
55 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:23 AM

Setting aside the fact that it is probably easier to add an eSATA, and the fact that there is no mention of the -100 (sorry, HundredNation), how does this work with leased boxes?

There is no mention of the fact that pretty much all HR20s are leased.

The Story...
http://www.streettec...order=0&thold=0

The deal at weaKnees...
http://www.weaknees....ectv-hd-dvr.php

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   krock918316

krock918316

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:40 AM

Setting aside the fact that it is probably easier to add an eSATA, and the fact that there is no mention of the -100 (sorry, HundredNation), how does this work with leased boxes?

There is no mention of the fact that pretty much all HR20s are leased.

The Story...
http://www.streettec...order=0&thold=0

The deal at weaKnees...
http://www.weaknees....ectv-hd-dvr.php

I like the guys at weaknees (i upgraded a series II Tivo with them), but why would anyone send in their HR20 to get a larger drive, when all you have to do is plug in an eSata drive?

Unless they are carrying over any shows already recorded on to the new drive, I see no reason to go this route.

#3 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,649 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:45 AM

Plus, you can get much better deals on an eSata than what they're asking for the upgrade....

#4 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:50 AM

Must be a dip in the demand for upgrades on the HR10s.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#5 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,580 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:52 AM

Let's say there was no warranty issue and you spend the money to have Weakness replace your internal drive, because you don't know how to do it yourself. If that HR20 ever needs to be replaced by D*, you're going to have to ship it back with the upgrade and lose your investment, no? /s
/steve

#6 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:57 AM

I've ordered from Weaknees before as well.

But with e-SATA, it's now $280-$295 for the top-of-the-line Seagate 750GB DB35 drive at several sites, plus $50 for a good e-SATA enclosure (I just got two Antec MX-1's).

Just plug it in and it works.

And if the HR20 ever fails then you easily just move the drive to the next HR20 (losing shows of course).

Or move the drive to any follow-on DVR (DB35 has a 5-year warranty).

And the HR20 warranty stays intact.

#7 OFFLINE   judson_west

judson_west

Godfather

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:01 AM

Probably only 10-20% of the total HR20 user base even knows what a hard drive is let alone what eSATA stands for.
Video/Audio 1: DirecTV HR24-500 (HDMI)-> Sony STR-DA5200ES -> Sony KDL-52XBR9
Video/Audio 2: DirecTV HR20-700 (HDMI) -> Sony KDL-32EX500
Video/Audio 3: DirecTV HR20-700 (HDMI) -> Sony KDL-40EX500

#8 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,580 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:06 AM

I've ordered from Weaknees before as well.

But with e-SATA, it's now $280-$295 for the top-of-the-line Seagate 750GB DB35 drive at several sites, plus $50 for a good e-SATA enclosure (I just got two Antec MX-1's).

Just plug it in and it works.

And if the HR20 ever fails then you easily just move the drive to the next HR20 (losing shows of course).

Or move the drive to any follow-on DVR (DB35 has a 5-year warranty).

And the HR20 warranty stays intact.

So you're saying if you're going to pay D*$299 for an HR20, it's a wash whether you go with Weaknees unit at $699 or D* + External. Makes sense.

I guess the issue I still would have is what happens when the Weaknees 90-day warranty expires? If I knew how to move the upgrade drive to another HR20, I really wouldn't need Weaknees in the first place. Plus I no longer have the original drive to put back in the unit I need to return (assuming I have the D* warranty plan). /s
/steve

#9 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:08 AM

Two things:

1) By doing this upgrade, you will be violating your leasing agreement with DirecTV... Unless WeaKness has worked out to be an authorized upgrade partner (which they haven't).

2) For the 750gb upgrade....
Almost $250 premium for them to spend 30 minutes of labor, and shipping.
As there is no software upgrading, like there is with the TiVo's.
You can't copy the recordings from old to new...

http://www.newegg.co...=OTC-pr1c3watch
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   premio

premio

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:21 AM

Two things:

1) By doing this upgrade, you will be violating your leasing agreement with DirecTV... Unless WeaKness has worked out to be an authorized upgrade partner (which they haven't).

Then this phrase "WeaKnees.com is the only authorized DirecTV reseller offering upgrades and warranties on DirecTV DVRs in-house. Shop with confidence; check out our warranty on all upgraded DirecTV DVRs." found at http://www.weaknees....ectv-hd-dvr.php, is incredibly misleading.

-n
<!---
It's Comcastic!
--->

#11 OFFLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:23 AM

As stated by Earl and others, this is not a bargain and if you have to replace your HR20 for any reason, you lose the drive that was installed by Weaknees.

750GB Seagate Drive $199.99 (with free shipping)

Antec MX-1 ESATA enclosure $48.36
Eschew Obfuscation!

Patriot Guard Riders

#12 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:26 AM

Two things:

Then this phrase "WeaKnees.com is the only authorized DirecTV reseller offering upgrades and warranties on DirecTV DVRs in-house. Shop with confidence; check out our warranty on all upgraded DirecTV DVRs." found at http://www.weaknees....ectv-hd-dvr.php, is incredibly misleading.

-n

Well... I didn't see that...
I have sent a couple emails out to find out if that is in fact, if it does turn out to be true...

I have no problem eating crow on that first statement...
However, the 2nd one still stands pat.

Edit:
My guess is, reading it a third time... (I highlighted part of your quote)

They are an authorized reseller.....
Not an authorized UPGRADE company...

Which I take as:
They are an authorized reseller... who will also pre-mod a system, and then take responsibility for it.
They however, that statement doesn't mean they are an authorized "UPGRADE" company....
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#13 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:30 AM

-n

Ahh...
Missed that page before. So they are selling them (no mention of lease anywhere) either stock, or with the upgrade. An extra $500 for the 750GB, and an extra $700 for the 1TB. I guess this is a slightly different issue than sending it in for an upgrade, although still not a "good" deal.

As was asked before, what if you buy an upgraded box, and it craps out (what are the chances) D* replaces with a stock box (refurb at that) and your screwed??

EDIT: I see Earls supposition above. I will be very curious what info he receives.....

#14 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:31 AM

Frys has the SG FAP 500GB drive for $169 and Free Shipping!

How many hours of HD will a 500gb hold? I need another one sson for another HR20 coming.

#15 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:33 AM

Frys has the SG FAP 500GB drive for $169 and Free Shipping!

How many hours of HD will a 500gb hold? I need another one sson for another HR20 coming.

500gb
~90 - 100hrs of MPEG4
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#16 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:35 AM

They are an authorized reseller.....
Which will handle all the returns and processing of damaged systems... aka... DirecTV won't be involved.

Isn't BB/CC an authorized reseller? If I "buy" my HR20 there, don't I have to deal with D* for any replacement issues? How would weaKnees be any different? (Beyond the 90 day warranty period.)

#17 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,649 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:35 AM

It could be that they're adding in D*'s surcharge to own instead of lease the and converting the units to owned, thus the premium charged......but not sure how that would work on a leased unit shipped in for the upgrade.

Still wouldn't do this, too expensive and not as easy as adding an eSata

#18 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:38 AM

Isn't BB/CC an authorized reseller? If I "buy" my HR20 there, don't I have to deal with D* for any replacement issues? How would weaKnees be any different? (Beyond the 90 day warranty period.)

They are authorized resellers...
As I understand it... with the leased boxes... the authorized resellers get out of the picture after the sale... (I know Crutchfield though, with Ken S, did work with him though).

Costco, now states for DirecTV... all returns and things are done with with DirecTV (IIRC).

What I was referring to with Weakness, is that they may tell you not to work with DirecTV if you are having a problem, but with them.... and they would replace or do what ever they need to do with the unit, since it was opened and "modified".
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#19 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:39 AM

OK, folks, clearly, if you want to "roll your own" eSATA is a better financial choice. I'd like to keep this thread from becoming a "What's the best deal on an eSATA?" There are plenty of those.

The topics for discussion:

How do weaKnees upgrades work with leased HR20s?

If you buy/lease an upgraded HR20 from weaKnees, what happens if the HR20 dies before/after the weaKnees 90 day warranty?

And the like...

#20 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:42 AM

Even if the warranty stays ...

The exact same drive that Weaknees uses with an MX-1 case is about $330. Can get cheaper drives for $70 less. The Weaknees offer is $449. Apples-to-apples then is about a $120 difference (more) thru Weeknees. Give or take a few dollars for sales tax if you buy locally.

With the Weeknees upgrade you 1) may lose the warranty, 2) you lose the original drive so who knows what you do if you ever need to return your HR20, 3) if you ever need to switch HR20's or upgrade to D*'s next DVR (whenever that is) you're back to square one. A Weeknees benefit is that you don't need to assemble anything.

With the e-SATA upgrade, you need to buy two parts (DB35 + MX-1), takes literally 5-10 minutes to install, plug it in, and re-boot. No issues with the warranty, can easily upgrade later to another HR20 or successor to the HR20, and can easily replace the drive if it ever fails (5-year warranty).

While Weaknees has been great in the past, doesn't seem compelling at this time for the HR20.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...