Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Possible stupid question ahead

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BWiggin

BWiggin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:56 PM

:D So don't shoot me. :lol: I'm a fairly new R15 user and am fairly happy with it since the last ce update. I do not have HD and have no idea when I will be able to afford one. Will the HR20 work on a sd TV, and if so, would you guys recommend it? Besides it being HD, what are the other differences between the R15 and the HR20.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:58 PM

:D So don't shoot me. :lol: I'm a fairly new R15 user and am fairly happy with it since the last ce update. I do not have HD and have no idea when I will be able to afford one. Will the HR20 work on a sd TV, and if so, would you guys recommend it? Besides it being HD, what are the other differences between the R15 and the HR20.

Yes it will work with all the SD channels like you have now and you will be able to view the HD channels but they just will not look right. But getting a HR20 you will have to get the HD package because you will have a HD receiver on your account. You would have a larger hard drive and you would have VOD when that launches soon.

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:12 PM

not stupid.
Without an HDTV the picture won't look as good as it could with one. [not really: just will not look right]. It may look better than what you have now. of course: YMMV
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   Bergthold

Bergthold

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:21 PM

I have two HR-20s one is hooked up to an HDTV and one is hooked up to a SD tv. I set the one hooked up to SD to 408i cropped and it looks great. It's a 1988 RCA 27" tv hooked up with the s-video cable and the picture is pretty impressive for standard def.

#5 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:45 PM

The larger hard drive is definitely a plus. If your TV has component inputs; that's a plus (And use them). You're future proofed (For the next few years anyway). The HR20 is a MUCH better receiver than the R15!!! You can also pull in Digital channels over the air with an antenna.
As far as what the HD channels will look like. If it's TRUE HD (Usually movie channels), it'll be Letterboxed (Black bars on the top & bottom). If it's not TRUE HD, it'll appear as a square with black bars on all 4 sides.
Course, you can also just edit out the duplicate HD channels, and forget you even have them for the time being.

#6 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,642 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:46 PM

I have thought about getting a second HR20 for the bedroom an hooking up via the component on my 27" SD set. Of course it would be native off 480i. I will have it there when I am ready to by an HD set for the bedroom!

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,166 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:27 PM

Many positive reasons to use the HR20. The only negative that I can think of is the requirement to subscribe to the HD package when you activate an HD receiver. But that is a pretty significant negative ($9.99 a month).

Carl

#8 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:33 PM

Many positive reasons to use the HR20. The only negative that I can think of is the requirement to subscribe to the HD package when you activate an HD receiver. But that is a pretty significant negative ($9.99 a month).

Carl

Won't be a such a negative soon, hopefully, once they get the new HD channels up.

#9 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,891 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:17 AM

I'm considering getting a 2nd HR20 for my wife's setup at the other end of the house. It's on its on dish et al, and is connected to a non-HD 32" TV. Being able to record her favorite shows with her own system is well worth it. (I don't have to record them to DVD-RAM and hand her a disk every day!)

This also "future proofs" that end of the house for the time when the older 32" CRT is replaced by an HD set.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#10 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,166 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 04 July 2007 - 08:16 AM

Won't be a such a negative soon, hopefully, once they get the new HD channels up.

It will if you are only using an SD television. That is what the thread was about. If you have HD, even now, having HD service is IMHO worth it.

Carl

Protected By... spam firewall...And...