Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EI game mix / blackout

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   since 2/96

since 2/96

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:30 PM

I'm trying to watch the Red Sox / Devil Ray game on EI. I'm in the Rays market albeit a two+ hour drive from St. Petersburg. The game is in Boston tonight. I can see it in the game mix but it's blacked out when I select the channel in the game mix. I'm on the phone with D* now and they say it's NESN that's blacking it out. I need to know if that's truly what's happening...waiting for a supervisor as I type...anyone got any insight? TIA...

edit: supervisor says he'll escalate the issue to see why this is happening but does not have control to 'flip a switch' so I can see the game...says I'll get a call within 24 hrs. with whatever comes about...

...and I've looked everywhere and NESN is the only network/channel that is showing the game where I am. No Devil Ray affiliate in my area is showing it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:22 PM

Thats why your blacked out. Even though the Rays are not televising tonight the NESN feed must be blacked out in your area.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#3 OFFLINE   cforrest

cforrest

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 812 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:29 PM

Great now the loophole, using the Mix Channel, is going to get cut if people keep calling up not knowing how the MLB blackout rules work!

D* Setup:

Slimline (AU9-S) w/no multiswitch
(1) HR21-100 0x87F (7/8/08 Made in Mexico) via HDMI to Pioneer PDP-6020FD
(1) HR24-100 0x87F (11/9/10 Made in Thailand) via HDMI to Panasonic TC-P58S2

FIOS 150/150

#4 OFFLINE   since 2/96

since 2/96

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:02 PM

Thats why your blacked out. Even though the Rays are not televising tonight the NESN feed must be blacked out in your area.

Yeah, it's never made any sense to me that a game that's being played in Mass. is blacked out in FL.

#5 OFFLINE   since 2/96

since 2/96

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:03 PM

Great now the loophole, using the Mix Channel, is going to get cut if people keep calling up not knowing how the MLB blackout rules work!

maybe you can enlighten me?!

#6 OFFLINE   cforrest

cforrest

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 812 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:12 PM

If you have an interactive receiver, you can at least listen to the audio feed & watch the game of a channel that is suppose to be blacked out, albeit on a small screen. Better than seeing a black box, which will eventually happen. I like being able to listen to the commentary of the team my home team is playing against from time to time. If you are asking to enlighten you on the MLB blackout rule, you'll get the answer searching the forums, as it has been discussed to death IMO.

D* Setup:

Slimline (AU9-S) w/no multiswitch
(1) HR21-100 0x87F (7/8/08 Made in Mexico) via HDMI to Pioneer PDP-6020FD
(1) HR24-100 0x87F (11/9/10 Made in Thailand) via HDMI to Panasonic TC-P58S2

FIOS 150/150

#7 OFFLINE   since 2/96

since 2/96

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:54 PM

If you have an interactive receiver, you can at least listen to the audio feed & watch the game of a channel that is suppose to be blacked out, albeit on a small screen. Better than seeing a black box, which will eventually happen. I like being able to listen to the commentary of the team my home team is playing against from time to time. If you are asking to enlighten you on the MLB blackout rule, you'll get the answer searching the forums, as it has been discussed to death IMO.

I do have the HR20 and was able to see and hear the game on the mix channel. It annoys the hell out of me though that, when the Sox are playing the Rays in Boston, NESN would not allow me to view their feed. I understand when the Sox are in St. Pete that I'll either have to go to the games (of which I will be at the end of July) or be SOL...

I was a being tad sarcastic in my reply about enlightening me on the MLB blackout rule...I was a bit frustrated at not being able to see my Sox(on their own channel)since they are at home and not in FL for this series. It's hard for me to get my head wrapped around a game being played in Boston blacked out down here, still...as this is certainly not the first time this has happened.

#8 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:20 PM

I love the MLB Mix. I hate the D-Backs new announcer (Darrin Sutton). My team is the Giants. During the last home stand, the D-Backs/Giants game was in HD on the local channel and I could listen to Kruk and Kuip using the audio from game mix. It only took me three pitches to sync the audio with the video, but I was very happy to have an HD picture with the announcer of my choice.

About the blackout...It wasn't NESN blacking out anything. It was the fact that the Rays OWN the rights to the market. Whether or not they broadcast the game, no other broadcast of the Rays can be imported into their territory. You'd think there were "smart" blackout rules where, if the local team is not broadcasting the blackout would not apply, but that is not the case. Blackouts have nothing to do with getting people to the games, it is about the dollars spent by the broadcasters to MLB to ensure they have the exclusivity. Bottom line, when you follow the money, it is MLB who is at fault. NESN and DirecTV were innocent bystanders in your quest to watch a blacked out game. The good news is, this doesn't happen very often. Usually, a game blacked out from one provider is available somewhere else.

#9 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:25 PM

I do have the HR20 and was able to see and hear the game on the mix channel. It annoys the hell out of me though that, when the Sox are playing the Rays in Boston, NESN would not allow me to view their feed. I understand when the Sox are in St. Pete that I'll either have to go to the games (of which I will be at the end of July) or be SOL...

I was a being tad sarcastic in my reply about enlightening me on the MLB blackout rule...I was a bit frustrated at not being able to see my Sox(on their own channel)since they are at home and not in FL for this series. It's hard for me to get my head wrapped around a game being played in Boston blacked out down here, still...as this is certainly not the first time this has happened.

Yep, those are the rules. MLB blackouts are all about the owners' ideas about "protecting" their (often overly broad) TV territories, not about whether you can attend a game or not. While the NHL (and I think the NBA) allow people subscribing to their out-of-market package to see the opposite team's broadcast when the home team isn't televising, MLB does not.

Though I guess it wasn't shown in your part of the state, the game was televised tonight on the Rays OTA network.

Unfortunately, with 20% of the remaining Sox games against the Rays, tonight won't be a unique occurrence.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#10 OFFLINE   since 2/96

since 2/96

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 08:07 AM

ok, i had my HR20 install on the 29th of May...i get my local channels obviously now via the box as opposed to the ota antenna i had hooked to the HR10-250...my installer didn't set up my 'other' local channels and since the Sox hadn't played the D-Rays until last night I never gave it one thought of watching the sub-channels on channel 56 here (ION)...lo and behold the game was on starting at 8pm, not the actual starting time of 7pm, and since that sub-channel wasn't set-up in my new receiver, it was as though it didn't exist...I've now done the set-up of the other channels and all should be well going forward...

can't believe i went (and put the few of you) thru all that grief last night!:rolleyes:

#11 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:10 AM

Neither can I...:D....j/k
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#12 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:41 PM

No problem, glad you found the game. I thought there was an affiliate showing them over there.

ok, i had my HR20 install on the 29th of May...i get my local channels obviously now via the box as opposed to the ota antenna i had hooked to the HR10-250...my installer didn't set up my 'other' local channels and since the Sox hadn't played the D-Rays until last night I never gave it one thought of watching the sub-channels on channel 56 here (ION)...lo and behold the game was on starting at 8pm, not the actual starting time of 7pm, and since that sub-channel wasn't set-up in my new receiver, it was as though it didn't exist...I've now done the set-up of the other channels and all should be well going forward...

can't believe i went (and put the few of you) thru all that grief last night!:rolleyes:

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#13 OFFLINE   sarfdawg

sarfdawg

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:40 AM

I love the MLB Mix. I hate the D-Backs new announcer (Darrin Sutton). My team is the Giants. During the last home stand, the D-Backs/Giants game was in HD on the local channel and I could listen to Kruk and Kuip using the audio from game mix. It only took me three pitches to sync the audio with the video, but I was very happy to have an HD picture with the announcer of my choice.

Using two receivers, I presume? I'd like to know how to do this if you don't mind explaining. Feel free to PM me since this is off the OP's topic.

#14 OFFLINE   Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:53 AM

Hate to beat a dead horse here but what do you mean by sub-channels? I have EI also, and every time the Sox play the D-rays I go through the crazy channel search trying to find which station has the local Rays broadcast. Tuesday night I did not find the game on 56 where they hide it sometimes. I did not look ahead for a tape delay however. Is there some 56 alternate station, or are you just calling 56 a sub-channel? I don't have it setup in my favorites, but I know it is there when needed.

#15 OFFLINE   since 2/96

since 2/96

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:16 AM

There are subchannels connected to channel 56 in the Orlando area...56-1, 56-2 & I think 56-3(since I'm not a home right now). The subchannels require an OTA antenna, for me anyway on my HR20-100S. 56 is WOPX out of Malabar. 56-1 is WOPX-DT out of Winter Park and that is the channel the game was on beginning at 8pm.

With you up in Ocala Dazed, I'm thinking it might be a bit of a challenge to get the 56 subchannels with an OTA antenna.

I too would also like to know how MikeW is watching games with alternate audio.

#16 OFFLINE   gnwes

gnwes

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:16 AM

I'm glad your able to fix your tb/redsox problem in sanford. but for us in jax... no chance at all of watching it. :mad:

#17 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:20 AM

I am using two dvrs to accomplish the task of listening to the other announcers. If you don't have an interactive box (ie Tivo), you can change the audio of game mix by going to the yellow speaker with )) on it, and choose a different stream. You'll notice that there are 8 different audio channels to choose from. I use the sound of the ball hitting the catcher's glove to sync the audio with the video pausing whichever feed is ahead of the other.

#18 OFFLINE   b00stedeg

b00stedeg

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:20 AM

I've been dealing with the Devil Rays game issue all season. Every single Devil Rays game that is on ION 66 in Tampa is simulcast on ION 56 in Orlando, the games show with an OTA antenna and on Brighthouse yet Directv locals subscription seems to pick up maybe 1 out of the lets say 4 that are on in any given week and its completely random. Sure I can watch with the antenna but I should be getting these games via Directv locals and if you call and complain about it you get told the Devil Rays game is on FSN when obviously the game in question that particular night is not. Its been really frustrating this season dealing with this because 56 is a really tough channel to get in OTA for me.

spam firewall