Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Problem with HR20-100s

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   doctord47

doctord47

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:47 PM

I've posted this in one other forum for the second question. I will take all answers

I have an interesting problem. First, I just got the new HR20-100s (2 of them) I tried to put this in my projection room. I have an old Sharp XV-Z9000U projector and a Hughes HTL-HD Direct TV receiver running through my Rotel receiver using componet. When I attached the HR20 I immediately began to get a line rolling through my picture. This also happen on the Denon DVD that's attached to the projector. Can anyone help with this?? Please.

Second, problem. Since this didn't work I replaced the HTL-HD with a HR10-250. Here's my long winded question: I don't believe the PQ is a good with the HR10 as it was with the HTL-HD. What do others think. Is this just my immagination or what??

Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,863 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:12 PM

"Rolling lines" sounds like what happens when you have a bad ground. Quite common when CATV is connected. The video cables are grounding a box that has some AC power in it.
Check your grounds and add a better ground to between your equipment [than the video cables].
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   doctord47

doctord47

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:18 AM

"Rolling lines" sounds like what happens when you have a bad ground. Quite common when CATV is connected. The video cables are grounding a box that has some AC power in it.
Check your grounds and add a better ground to between your equipment [than the video cables].

I'm sorry, could you explain a little more. I had direct TV do the install and they did not mention anything. It is true I have all my equipment in a stack. Receiver, DVD, VCR, and Sat Receiver.

Thanks

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,863 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:05 AM

I'm sorry, could you explain a little more. I had direct TV do the install and they did not mention anything. It is true I have all my equipment in a stack. Receiver, DVD, VCR, and Sat Receiver.

Thanks

A horizontal line moving up or down on the TV screen, maybe two that are slightly darker or lighter are signs of "60 cycles" [AC power] being coupled on to the video input or RF input, these are analog inputs so an analog [60 cycles] signal will travel over them.
CATV is good for this because the coax runs on the power poles and picks up the 60 cycles. For CATV you need to block the 60 cycles before it connects to your equipment. This can be done with a DC block because the 60 cycles is very close to DC and the TV signals are much higher in frequency.
Connecting your video cables from one box to another is too close in frequency to 60 cycles and also needs to pass DC, so a DC block won't work.
If you can connect these with a digital cable [HDMI] then it won't be a problem [the 60 cycles] because analog doesn't effect a digital signal.
Now if you can to these then you need to find the source of the 60 cycles and connect a better ground to it so the 60 cycles will go to ground through that wire instead of going through the video cables.
The line [wire] of least resistance is where the 60 cycles will go. Right now one [or more] of your boxes is bleeding 60 cycles through your video connections.
If you don't have cable TV connected to your rack, then it must be your grounding on the power line. Check all of the grounds [should be to the same point]. if all are good then try to move the equipment around to get them farther apart. Each has a power supply that can radiate to the one close by. I have two computer monitors next to each other and with both on they interact because they are too close.
Let me know what you find and I'll keep working with you.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:15 AM

A horizontal line moving up or down on the TV screen, maybe two that are slightly darker or lighter are signs of "60 cycles" [AC power] being coupled on to the video input or RF input, these are analog inputs so an analog [60 cycles] signal will travel over them.
CATV is good for this because the coax runs on the power poles and picks up the 60 cycles. For CATV you need to block the 60 cycles before it connects to your equipment. This can be done with a DC block because the 60 cycles is very close to DC and the TV signals are much higher in frequency.
Connecting your video cables from one box to another is too close in frequency to 60 cycles and also needs to pass DC, so a DC block won't work.
If you can connect these with a digital cable [HDMI] then it won't be a problem [the 60 cycles] because analog doesn't effect a digital signal.
Now if you can to these then you need to find the source of the 60 cycles and connect a better ground to it so the 60 cycles will go to ground through that wire instead of going through the video cables.
The line [wire] of least resistance is where the 60 cycles will go. Right now one [or more] of your boxes is bleeding 60 cycles through your video connections.
If you don't have cable TV connected to your rack, then it must be your grounding on the power line. Check all of the grounds [should be to the same point]. if all are good then try to move the equipment around to get them farther apart. Each has a power supply that can radiate to the one close by. I have two computer monitors next to each other and with both on they interact because they are too close.

It's true that if you have a ground loop situation you won't see the effects on HDMI, but the problem is still there and if it is severe and does not get fixed can result in long term damage to your TV.

#6 ONLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,655 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:21 AM

Can you post a photo of the "rolling line"?
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,863 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:06 PM

Can you post a photo of the "rolling line"?

You haven't seen "hum bars?".
If you want I can fake it for a verse or two, if it would help.
[Sorry, I just had too. :lol: ]
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:11 PM

You haven't seen "hum bars?".
If you want I can fake it for a verse or two, if it would help.
[Sorry, I just had too. :lol: ]

Booooooooooooooooooooooooo *throwing tomatoes* *heckling*

Good Luck doctord47
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,863 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:28 PM

Booooooooooooooooooooooooo *throwing tomatoes* *heckling*

Good Luck doctord47

Hey it came up last time, so I just had to before it did again. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   doctord47

doctord47

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:38 PM

I don't have CATV connected and my projector has to use componet cables. The Sat box and Rotel are as far apart on the stack as I can get. I'll check the ground of everything. I think the D* installer should have said something. He didn't seem to know what the problem was. That's why I replaced my HTL-HD with the HR10 in stead of the HR20.

Think you for the input. I need to get this fixed before the new mpeg4 rollout.

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,863 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:48 PM

I think the D* installer should have said something. He didn't seem to know.....

Yes this will be true for.... well it should cover just about everything.

Many here should be able to help you out. Some are even installers that do say "something" & "know..... ".
All you need to have is a bad power strip in your rack to display your problem, or have things plugged into two different circuits.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...