Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Searching for authorized content on ESPN

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BubbaDude

BubbaDude

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:56 PM

Has this ever happened to anybody else? I recorded some tennis from Wimbledon on ESPN2-HD, and when I went to watch it I got the "searching for authorized content" crap and no show. I've recorded from this channel before, today even, and I can watch it live. So why did my HR20-700 suddenly decide it's a super-duper premium channel from 10 AM to 2 PM when it's not the rest of the time?

My confidence in DirecTV is falling rapidly.
HR20-700
Philips DirecTiVo
Windows and Linux Media PC
Samsung LN-T4065F Monitor
Yamaha HTR 5860 AV Receiver
Logitech Harmony One remote
Gigabit Ethernet
WiFi

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:33 PM

Has this ever happened to anybody else? I recorded some tennis from Wimbledon on ESPN2-HD, and when I went to watch it I got the "searching for authorized content" crap and no show. I've recorded from this channel before, today even, and I can watch it live. So why did my HR20-700 suddenly decide it's a super-duper premium channel from 10 AM to 2 PM when it's not the rest of the time?

My confidence in DirecTV is falling rapidly.

I've had a very intermittent bug for the last 2 or 3 months that has caused the same thing. On rare occasions I won't be able to receive MPEG2 broadcasts (the seventies) on one of my tuners. When I change to another station (changing the tuner) I get it in fine and then whatever MPEG2 station I change to next is not there. Whenever I've tried to play a recording from one of these times recorded off the 'wrong' tuner, I get the "searching for authorized content" message. I'm still trying - with much help from VOS - to run down the problem with my machine. It could be a bad multiswitch.

Perhaps you're having the same problem? Or perhaps I'm just hoping you do as I've never seen anyone else with precisely my problem and, you know, misery loves company.

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#3 OFFLINE   AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:06 PM

Try rebooting your HR20.
AT9 w/ Splitters & WB616 / SWM5
Living Room: HR21-700 / HR20-100 & 50" Hitachi 1080P Plasma w/ HD-A30 + Playstation 3 = Purple Nation!
Master Bedroom: HR20-700 & 42" Panasonic Plasma
Both Bedrooms: HR20-100 & 42" Panasonic Plasma.

#4 OFFLINE   tftc22

tftc22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:32 PM

This isn't a bug; it's because the coverage was blacked out. View ESPN2's description for Wednesday's coverage and you will see it says "Subject to blackout in the Pacific time zone. Blacked out customers can tune to local NBC for tennis coverage."

And seeing that you live in California that's probably what happened. Hopefully you'll see this before the same thing happens to you tomorrow.

#5 OFFLINE   BubbaDude

BubbaDude

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:35 PM

I need to read the fine print.
HR20-700
Philips DirecTiVo
Windows and Linux Media PC
Samsung LN-T4065F Monitor
Yamaha HTR 5860 AV Receiver
Logitech Harmony One remote
Gigabit Ethernet
WiFi

#6 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 08:30 AM

I've had a very intermittent bug for the last 2 or 3 months that has caused the same thing. On rare occasions I won't be able to receive MPEG2 broadcasts (the seventies) on one of my tuners. When I change to another station (changing the tuner) I get it in fine and then whatever MPEG2 station I change to next is not there. Whenever I've tried to play a recording from one of these times recorded off the 'wrong' tuner, I get the "searching for authorized content" message. I'm still trying - with much help from VOS - to run down the problem with my machine. It could be a bad multiswitch.

Perhaps you're having the same problem? Or perhaps I'm just hoping you do as I've never seen anyone else with precisely my problem and, you know, misery loves company.

My guess is that your problem is that the satellite selection signal is marginal and is sometimes not getting to the dish correctly. That could be a fault in the HR20 (generating a marginal signal), in the multiswitch or cabling. Or maybe you have long cable runs. The WB68 being unpowered is prone to this problem.
You could add a Sonora power locker to the cable runs between the multiswitch and the dish; this essentially turns the multiswitch into a powered one.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...