Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD lite and MPEG4

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny

Icon

• Registered
  • 689 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:15 PM

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Anyway, most folks seem to have acknowledged D* gave us a downrezzed or "HD lite" version of their HD content via MPEG2 due to bandwidth limitations. If I have misspoken, I apologize - just paraphrasing my understanding of it.

So, with the increased capacity in MPEG4, does anyone know if D* plans on providing a higher quality image, or will it be basically the same one we're seeing now on MPEG2 receivers?

Thank you.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:21 PM

The current MPEG-4 is already of a higher quality image...
Here in Chicago, it is nearly identical to that of the MPEG-2 OTA signal.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:52 PM

You must wait - nobody have time machine to answer to such questions.

#4 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:01 PM

You must wait - nobody have time machine to answer to such questions.

And that pretty much wraps this thread up, no?:lol:

#5 OFFLINE   Meklos

Meklos

Legend in his own mind...

• Registered
  • 324 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:09 PM

The current MPEG-4 is already of a higher quality image...
Here in Chicago, it is nearly identical to that of the MPEG-2 OTA signal.

"Higher quality"... than what? The original MPEG-2 OTA signal that it's transcoded from? Sorry, I gotta call horse manure on that one... You can't take the output of one lossy compression scheme and put it through another lossy compression scheme and not lose quality. If they were starting with the HD-SDI output and doing a direct-to-MPEG-4 encode, we'd be much better off than we are - but from what I understand of the backend, that isn't happening (yet?).

Now if you're saying higher quality than it used to be, that's entirely possible in some markets. Just not Nashville. The encoders here still suck toilet water.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:35 PM

"Higher quality"... than what? The original MPEG-2 OTA signal that it's transcoded from? Sorry, I gotta call horse manure on that one... You can't take the output of one lossy compression scheme and put it through another lossy compression scheme and not lose quality. If they were starting with the HD-SDI output and doing a direct-to-MPEG-4 encode, we'd be much better off than we are - but from what I understand of the backend, that isn't happening (yet?).

Now if you're saying higher quality than it used to be, that's entirely possible in some markets. Just not Nashville. The encoders here still suck toilet water.

I'm lucky with my MPEG-4 [good encoders in this DMA], so
MPEG-2 OTA is "king"
MPEG-4 D* is close
MPEG-2 D* is at the bottom.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:30 AM

I said this a while ago if OTA is a 10. I think the MPEG4 locals are a 9.5 in the Baltimore market.

#8 OFFLINE   Smthkd

Smthkd

Icon

• Registered
  • 925 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:51 AM

I agree! MPEG4 here in Atlanta is very close to OTA not a 10 but 9.5!! :D

#9 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:53 AM

"Higher Quality", then the MPEG-2 we currently get via SAT...
In reference to the OP's question.

I completely agree, that the output of one compression scheme, can never be any better then its source.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,821 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:58 AM

I could say I'm looking forward to testing MPEG-4 here in the Des Moines DMA, but that would be a bit disingenuous. The technical side of me would enjoy it, but anticipating going through the local growing pains of MPEG-4 does blunt my enthusiasm a bit.

All of this is a moot point. MPEG-4's promised end of 2006, very early 2007 at the latest. Still don't have them. Since I get all the "major" networks OTA, I doubt I'll even put the MPEG-4/HD-Locals in the guide, once I'm done testing.

Come to think of it, it is certainly possible that we will have MPEG-4 HD non-locals from the new satellite long before MPEG-4 HD-Locals show up. Wouldn't that be "special":)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#11 OFFLINE   John Buckingham

John Buckingham

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:59 AM

This is true.

#12 OFFLINE   bjdraw

bjdraw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:42 AM

According to DirecTV's CTO, the quality will be better.

ME: You don't feel that DirecTV has sacrificed picture quality at all in order to deliver more HD channels?

DirecTV CTO: Everything in life is a balance, we are not contained in capacity with MPEG4, but we were in MPEG2. MPEG4 will be a leap better in in terms of quality. I could argue that our local MPEG4 transmission today is even better than a ATSC signal.

I'd post a link to the source, but I don't have enough posts, search google for "cto interview directv" and hit I'm feeling lucky.
How good can it be, if it isn't HD?
Ben
Engadget HD

#13 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 04 July 2007 - 08:05 AM

I'd post a link to the source, but I don't have enough posts, search google for "cto interview directv" and hit I'm feeling lucky.

I love his answers. I think he had a clue as to what you were talking about. :rolleyes:

#14 OFFLINE   Meklos

Meklos

• Registered
  • 324 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:46 PM

Since the ATSC signal is MPEG-2 encoded, they would have to go to the same source that the MPEG-2 encoder is looking at - namely the HD-SDI uncompressed (1.4Gbits/sec or 2.9Gbits/sec) data stream.

I can't see how this would be technically possible, since I don't think even the stations themselves are getting anything better than an MPEG-2 stream. Each station takes that pre-encoded MPEG-2 stream and inserts their ads into it. Since DTV needs to / has to / is required to broadcast the full local DMA stream (including ads, weather alerts, etc), they basically have to get the stream directly from the station output - which is MPEG-2 as well.

I can't see how the CTO's statement can make any sense, given the situation and restrictions...

#15 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:04 PM

HBO will be moving to MPEG4 in the near future. If all the other satcaster follow, problem solved
http://telecompetitor.com/node/184

#16 OFFLINE   Meklos

Meklos

• Registered
  • 324 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:53 PM

HBO will be moving to MPEG4 in the near future. If all the other satcaster follow, problem solved
http://telecompetitor.com/node/184

Yeah, that'll get everyone except the OTA broadcasters, probably. They'll be hard pressed to change to MPEG-4 at this stage of the game.

#17 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:47 AM

HBO is going to distribute all it's new channels in MPEG4 and institute a mandatory minimum bitrate. But I see pretty good stuff these days on D* HDNet as well as the occasional HBO stunner (e.g. 5th element), so D*'s claims might be valid. Probably squeezing the c*ap out of SD, though.
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#18 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:49 AM

Having both an HR10 to the HR20, it's pretty clear to me that recorded shows on the HR20 seem a lot sharper than the HR10. FWIW.
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#19 OFFLINE   Meklos

Meklos

• Registered
  • 324 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:32 PM

Having both an HR10 to the HR20, it's pretty clear to me that recorded shows on the HR20 seem a lot sharper than the HR10. FWIW.

Has to be the output electronics, since the source for the same program on the same channel at the same time has to be the same stream.

#20 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:36 PM

Has to be the output electronics, since the source for the same program on the same channel at the same time has to be the same stream.

He would have MPEG2 locals on the HR10 and MPEG4 locals on the HR20, so not necessarily the same stream.

spam firewall