Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

It's time for DLB

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
78 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Que

Que

Icon

• Registered
  • 632 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:44 PM

And what can you do differently with DLB?
You still have the same number of available tuners.
If you're using DLB and choose a third channel, what happens to the previous previous channel's buffer?

Here is how it works on most other DVRs (if not all DVR -D*)

I find 2 games that I am interested in and get them one on each buffer. I pause Game 1 and flip to the other buffer to watch game 2. At the first commercial on Game 2, I pause it and go back to Game 1. I use the 30-sec skip to watch only the plays. At the next commercial of Game 1, I flip back to Game 2 and repeat the process.

HR20 loses it's pause point and does not work. Plus you have to deleted them after your done and really can't watch the two.

I still have no idea why this is not on the HR20. It's like a big step back. If you listed all the DVRs D* would be the only one without it. Maybe after time it will get it but how much more time?? The system is getting better......It still has a little way to go.

I think they need to fire/get more people in there to help them. It's just taking too long.

-yes a copy and paste from here: http://www.dbstalk.c...?t=88671&page=6

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:49 PM

"nuf said
Posted Image

#23 OFFLINE   hookemfins

hookemfins

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:57 PM

I mentioned this in another thread.

DTV is good about responding to emails. Everyone email CS with the DLB request. Enough requests might get them to move on the software upgrade.

#24 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:59 PM

I mentioned this in another thread.

DTV is good about responding to emails. Everyone email CS with the DLB request. Enough requests might get them to move on the software upgrade.

:welcome_s to DBStalk

Sending emails will not work because Directv already knows. There are a lot of Directv employees that read this site and they see all the post about it.

#25 OFFLINE   nowandthen

nowandthen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:02 PM

I want my DLB.

#26 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:47 PM

BMor and Que,
I fully understand how it works.

My points are,

1. HDD space is HDD space. If you get two 90 min. buffers, then the extra space comes from somewhere, and that somewhere will be the loss of some of the available disk space for recorded programming.
And, no I'd rather have a single 90 minute buffer than two 45 min. buffers.

2. I do this every time there's a NASCAR race on. I watch and record the network feed (currently TNT), and I record the HotPass channel for my favorite driver.

I toggle between the two during the race. If something happens and I want to see how my driver reacted, I go to HotPass, back it up and see what happened.
I go to HotPass during commercials and back to TNT afterwards.

When the race is over, I delete both recordings and free up disk space.
Favorite Quotes:
"Don't fry bacon naked" - Janet Campbell (circa 1995)
"My head do stink" - Tommy Early (2003)
"Ya'll ain't got no more money?!" - Exotic Dancer (2004)

#27 OFFLINE   Mojo_Ryzen

Mojo_Ryzen

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:52 PM

I want my DLB.

+1.
Firstly, I realize I've been influenced by Tivo performance. When I received my HR20 a few weeks back, DLB was the first thing I noticed was missing. I wasn't even aware of the term "DLB." To put things in perspective, I don't watch much tv. However, I'm a BIG NFL football fan. Most of my friends and relatives are fans of the Giants, Jets and Eagles - all considered local teams in my area. As a child, I was also a fan of the hapless Cleveland Browns (I think this Quinn dude has potential). Where I live, the local team games are *always* sold out - no local broadcast blackouts. The single button DLB feature has become a staple for me. I also use it to switch between NG and the History Channel, when I find time and the living room is idle. Because I don't use the tv much, I don't record much. I only want to watch two live programs at (relatively) the same time. DLB is a *perfect* fit for my tv viewing experience/habits. It's obvious that others disagree, but I find it extremely hard to believe that:

a) D* would exclude this feature in their flagship product
B) This forum cannot provide a definitive answer why

Fix SLB and add DLB single button performance, D*! NASA's space shuttle program uses computers with power equivalent to a Commodore 64 - released in 1982. Please don't try to tell me DLB is too difficult to program in software/firmware.
rgds,
-MR-
HR24-500|HR20-100S; 0x4d1|5LNB Slimline|Dual WB68s
Samsung SIR-S4080R|Sony SAT-T60|Sony SAT-A3|
Sharp LC-60C52U|Onkyo TXSR605B/DS-A2|Polk RM6750
Harmony 880|Netgear XAV1004 Powerline Ethernet
D* subscriber since 1998|Tivo lifetimer|1984 V65 Magna VF1100C

#28 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:00 PM

Had D*Tivo's since they first were available and used/enjoyed the DLB. After having the R15 for 18 months and the HR20 for 8 months(still have an active Sammy D*Tivo)I really don't miss it at all. I usually forget about it untill I am reminded about it here. Can't see all the fuss. Nice feature on basically obsolete equipment.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#29 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:30 PM

Had D*Tivo's since they first were available and used/enjoyed the DLB. After having the R15 for 18 months and the HR20 for 8 months(still have an active Sammy D*Tivo)I really don't miss it at all. I usually forget about it untill I am reminded about it here. Can't see all the fuss. Nice feature on basically obsolete equipment.

I don't miss it on a day-to-day basis, but I do miss it a lot when I am trying to watch two games simultaneously. To me, it's an important feature but not a "deal-breaker" kind of thing. It is far higher on my own personal wish list than VOD -- but I realize that others, validly, feel differently.

I'd like to see DLB implemented on the HR20 if it can be done without compromising the reliability and stability that has been achieved after all these months.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#30 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:28 AM

a) D* would exclude this feature in their flagship product
B) This forum cannot provide a definitive answer why

I think we have seen an answer why on these forums. When deciding on feature set to include, they decided to concentrate on the DVR functions, and felt that since DLB was a live TV feature, that it would not be included in the initial feature set of the HR20.

That being said...I think they made a mistake on this decision. D* has marketed themselves as leaders in premium sports. One thing that is obvious from these forums (that may or may not have been known by D* before now) is that DLB is used for sports viewing, even by those who don't use it for any other viewing. If they really want to excel in this area, DLB should be an added.

They may look at the number of subscribers lost because of DLB, and conclude that this is not a money maker for them. I think they underestimate the value of having a superior product, and opposed to having just a satisactory product. (I think most companies do underestimate that value.)

Hopefully, they will see a benefit to adding this feature.
DogLover

My Setup

#31 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:31 AM

Please implement DLB. I still push the down arrow button on the HR20 remote with my fingers crossed that I'll magically be taken to the other buffered tuner. But alas, it never has worked (yet). Come on D*, please add DLB!
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#32 OFFLINE   mr anderson

mr anderson

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:54 AM

+1

Please. I ask knowing that most likely it will never happen, but respectfully ask that DirecTV seriously consider the large outcry for it. It is a great feature and one a lot of people would love to get back.

DLB!

#33 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:01 AM

BMor and Que,
I fully understand how it works.

My points are,

1. HDD space is HDD space. If you get two 90 min. buffers, then the extra space comes from somewhere, and that somewhere will be the loss of some of the available disk space for recorded programming.
And, no I'd rather have a single 90 minute buffer than two 45 min. buffers.

That's an incorrect assumption, as one poster in another thread here at DBSTalk has proven that the two 90 minute buffers currently exist independently. Enabling true DLB will NOT take any additional space on the drive.

2. I do this every time there's a NASCAR race on. I watch and record the network feed (currently TNT), and I record the HotPass channel for my favorite driver.

I toggle between the two during the race. If something happens and I want to see how my driver reacted, I go to HotPass, back it up and see what happened.
I go to HotPass during commercials and back to TNT afterwards.

When the race is over, I delete both recordings and free up disk space.

You are acknowledging that recording two programs to simulate DLB takes up space, but you didn't acknowledge my earlier post that simply pressing REC on each tuner may have a negative impact on the existing programs in your playlist, especially if the software detects it needs to delete programs to free up space simply to record the programs you want to toggle between. This is a major flaw in your support for using dual-tuner recording to justify that DLB is not needed.

If implemented, true DLB will not take up extra drive space and will NOT ever affect your playlist and previously recorded programs.

#34 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

• Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:50 AM

You are acknowledging that recording two programs to simulate DLB takes up space, but you didn't acknowledge my earlier post that simply pressing REC on each tuner may have a negative impact on the existing programs in your playlist, ...

That's correct.
I do have the good sense to manage my recorded programs to the point that nothing I want to save is in any danger of being pushed out by new material. If I do get to the point that disk space is an issue, I will add more disk space, but so far it's not a problem.

However, I can see where DLB may benefit some users who may be incapable or unwilling to manage their recordings and free disk space.
Favorite Quotes:

#35 OFFLINE   Que

Que

Icon

• Registered
  • 632 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:03 AM

That being said...I think they made a mistake on this decision. D* has marketed themselves as leaders in premium sports. One thing that is obvious from these forums (that may or may not have been known by D* before now) is that DLB is used for sports viewing, even by those who don't use it for any other viewing. If they really want to excel in this area, DLB should be an added.

They may look at the number of subscribers lost because of DLB, and conclude that this is not a money maker for them. I think they underestimate the value of having a superior product, and opposed to having just a satisactory product. (I think most companies do underestimate that value.)

Hopefully, they will see a benefit to adding this feature.

I use to as my main channel surfing. Turn on CNN/E!/comedy and surf on the other one. Pause when I hit a commercial. Wife use it to watch Soaps. I bet more people use it then just for sports.

#36 OFFLINE   KSbugeater

KSbugeater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:07 AM

First of all, +1 from me that D* should move with all haste (but not waste) to add DLB. Since I still have my HR10-250, I can use its DLB, plus the HR20's tuner for a total of 3 buffers at any one time. Sounds like enough, right? :confused: Not necessarily... I can think of a weekend this fall when it may not be: US Open tennis finals. If I'm home, here's how that will shake out:

1 tuner for US Open
1 for whatever NASCAR race is on (nearing the critical end of the points season)
2 tuners for CBS/Fox NFL games

not to mention any golf tournaments. And what if I had Sunday Ticket? Even more viewing possibilities, all greatly diminished if watched after the fact (ST especially, since they run scores across the screen constantly so you'll catch finals of other games)

That's correct.
I do have the good sense to manage my recorded programs to the point that nothing I want to save is in any danger of being pushed out by new material. If I do get to the point that disk space is an issue, I will add more disk space, but so far it's not a problem.

However, I can see where DLB may benefit some users who may be incapable or unwilling to manage their recordings and free disk space.

Rarely have I seen such a holier-than-thou statement on this board. Some of us USE our DVRs, and we also have LIVES that prevent us from keeping up with our "disk management". My DVRs are almost ALWAYS full, and I don't have the luxury of running out to Best Buy to get more external storage (my HR10 does have an extra 320GB HD).

LR308er, how long would it take you to clear enough disk space to record 4 3-hour HD events as stated above? And once you've done that, how would you "check in" on the golf tourney or a baseball game in the meantime? With DLB, you just have to be caught up on one tuner at the time of a commercial break, switch away for a minute or two to catch a golfer or a batter, and get back in time to not miss any action. With PIP, I can easily keep up with all 4 events.

The point is, as Drew2k already elegantly stated, we shouldn't HAVE to worry about our playlists/disk space when all we want to do is just watch [nearly] Live TV!!!!

Quit raining on our crusade! If D* ever gets around to giving us DLBs, I'm sure they'll do it in a way that won't inconvenience anyone.

#37 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

• Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:11 AM

I don't watch golf or baseball, so it's not a problem.
Favorite Quotes:

#38 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:29 AM

I'd like to see DLB implemented on the HR20 if it can be done without compromising the reliability and stability that has been achieved after all these months.

This is the ONLY way it should be implemented, this is the ONLY way any new feature should be implemented from here on out.

#39 OFFLINE   Go_Colts!

Go_Colts!

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:13 PM

+2 for DLB. It's the only thing that I miss from TiVo.
HR20-700 (0x174) - HDMI, native, dual input, off air antenna, networked

Ethernet connection to network

RCA DirecTV Tivo 40 - S-video, one input.

5LNB Dish

#40 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:41 PM

Next month is the first anniversary of the HR-20's release. It has come along way. Directv, please add DLB to the next CE. It is time. We have waited patiently long enough. Thank you.

Ditto! I want my DLB!
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

spam firewall