Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

It's time for DLB

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
78 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   mnbulldog

mnbulldog

Legend

• Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:45 PM

If you listed all the DVRs D* would be the only one without it.

I am pretty sure this is simply not true since the Scientific Atlanta DVR's do not have DLB and are probably the most installed DVR's in America since cable owns a MUCH bigger share of the market and this is the most popular cable DVR (SD or HD).

That said - it's a complete piece of junk (the SciAtl box that is) and I am all for DLB.

But let's get the facts straight.
HR20-100 (National Release) to Pansonic 20" LCD
via Slimline
HR10-250 (currently disconnected)

14 Year D* Customer
13 Year NFLST Subscriber - VIKINGS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   MFranklin

MFranklin

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:17 PM

DLB is listed as patented technology by TIVO in their lawsuit with DISH et al. D* will not touch DLB until that suit is settled/resolved.

#63 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:30 PM

DLB is listed as patented technology by TIVO in their lawsuit with DISH et al. D* will not touch DLB until that suit is settled/resolved.

That's what was said about autocorrection. Guess what, autocorrection is now in public beta on the HR20. D* and TIVO have a relationship that doesn't exist with E*, and that relationship appears to be warming back up.

#64 OFFLINE   Que

Que

Icon

• Registered
  • 632 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:52 AM

I am pretty sure this is simply not true since the Scientific Atlanta DVR's do not have DLB and are probably the most installed DVR's in America since cable owns a MUCH bigger share of the market and this is the most popular cable DVR (SD or HD).

That said - it's a complete piece of junk (the SciAtl box that is) and I am all for DLB.

Didn't know about that one. We where going to do a list of ALL DVRs and snail mail a letter to D* about DLB. In my area we have Charter/Dish/D* All but D* have DLB.

I wanted to get more research on this to find out what is out there and mail it to them.... Just no time. Thanks for the correction! If you can let me know what DVRs are in your area and if they have DLB. Thanks!

http://www.dbstalk.c...t=62118&page=26

Office of the President
DIRECTV, Inc.
P.O. Box 6550
Greenwood Village, CO 80155-6550

#65 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:09 AM

DLB is not patented by Tivo.

#66 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:11 AM

The cable system in my area and in many, many others use the motorola boxes which DO have DLBs. I do not know the breakdown on who uses the SciAtl vs Motorola, but I do know that Motorola has a significant chunk.

#67 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:51 AM

That's what was said about autocorrection. Guess what, autocorrection is now in public beta on the HR20. D*

Yes, and it's so freakin' annoying and sux so badly that I dropped the beta and went back to the last national release.

/BTW - 5/30 was a bit over a month ago. You guys are worse than kids wanting candy. Please, mommy.. pleeeease.

/oh yeah.. bump
Favorite Quotes:
"Don't fry bacon naked" - Janet Campbell (circa 1995)
"My head do stink" - Tommy Early (2003)
"Ya'll ain't got no more money?!" - Exotic Dancer (2004)

#68 OFFLINE   mr anderson

mr anderson

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:52 AM

jheda;995149]QUOTE=mr anderson;995091]Every time there is a DLB thread, God kills a kitten.
Perhaps the most absurd comment ive seen...

back on topic, Earl, can you grace us, especially the relative newbies, to where this sits on the D*s Radar presently?

If that's the most absurd comment you've ever seen, stay away from Jersey, it's just not a nice place for people like you! ;)

#69 OFFLINE   mr anderson

mr anderson

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:53 AM

Man we are relentless when it comes to getting features, aren't we? Who wants to wager that the next evolution of the DLB wars is a thousand man march to DTV's headquarters?

#70 OFFLINE   MJMason1

MJMason1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 07:13 AM

Could there be a link to D* not tackling DLB functionality because the "unused" tuner is expected to deliver the bulk of the non-internet VOD content?

No D* conspiracy theory here, just a thought!

You have to figure the amount of VOD content they intend on pushing will be more than the DTivos ever had to receive on those off hour data streams. Maybe the open stream will be needed during more "normal" hours of operation via the unused tuner. (Obviously not available when two shows are recording simultaneously.)

Mike

#71 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 07:21 AM

It seems whenever there's a feature that TiVo has that is not in the HR20, it's attributed to TiVo having a patent on that feature. One thing to remember is that a concept can't be patented, but the implementation can. So if TiVo patents a specific implementation of Fast Forward Correction, but DirecTV comes up with their own implementation, there's no infringement on TiVo's patent.

#72 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 07:22 AM

Yes, and it's so freakin' annoying and sux so badly that I dropped the beta and went back to the last national release.

/BTW - 5/30 was a bit over a month ago. You guys are worse than kids wanting candy. Please, mommy.. pleeeease.

/oh yeah.. bump

LR308er - If you were having problems with FFW Correction, there was no reason to revert to the national release. You could have simply gone into the hidden menu and turned off FFW Correction.

#73 OFFLINE   mr anderson

mr anderson

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:05 AM

I have heard it said before that there is technically 3 tuners on the hr20. Don't know if that is true, however, I would guess that it may work something like this.

tuner 1: used freely to channel surf

tuner 2: when not in use, is used for vod streaming download

tuner 3: used via broadband connection in tandem with tuner 2 to combine download bandwith to get the data faster.

However, I have serious doubts that directv will ultimately stick with this "download VOD over your broadband connection, as it would be like shooting themselves in the foot, and even Dtv is not dumb enough to "rely on a competitor's network" to deliver vod for directv.

I personally know engineers and networking techs for verizon who have told me this has been discussed and how they plan to "deal" with it if it comes to fruition.

All that said, even with the advent of vod, I still see no reason why dlb would have to interfere with that.

#74 OFFLINE   richlife

richlife

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:38 AM

So far all I've read is a few self-centered people saying that we should stop asking for DLB because they don't want it or don't use it. As others have said, I could say the same about VOD, CID, or even CC, but instead I welcome them because I might at some point be interested and there are a lot of people (even though possibly a minority of viewers) who do want them and who value them. Why pan a feature because it's not your favorite? Why try to ridicule or put down those who clearly have very good reasons for wanting DLB or any feature?

My personal reason for wanting DLB is simply convenience. DLB is probably the single most CONVENIENT feature on a DVR. I watch TV to relax, not to constantly setup recordings and worry about the details. The existing workaround is a royal pain in the butt in my opinion (and I'm a "workaholic" in all areans, not a lazy person). I simply want the convenience and ease of use that DLB provides.

So one more time (and with many more backlogged for when needed).

I WANT MY D - L - B !!

:joy: :dance01: :joy: :dance01: :joy:

And finally, thanks for starting up another DLB thread. D* please cave!!!
Rich Beaudry
UNC Tar Heel '69, '75
Woodworker, grandfather, DirecTV 1994
Whole-Home Slimline w/ SWM.
A) HR20-700: NR 4aa; HDMI Audio: HDMI, TOSLINK. Res-1080i; Native- On; eSata-No; Remote-RF (2).
B) HR23-700: NR 4aa; Video&Audio HDMI. Res.-720p; Native-On; Network-No; eSata-No; Remote-IR.
C) H23-600: NR 0440; HDMI. Res.-1080p; Native-On; eSata-No; Remote-IR.
TVs: A) Sony 50" Rear Proj KDS50A2000 & VIZIO 22" LCD M220VA; B) Sony 37" Rear Proj KDF37H1000; C) Toshiba 40" LCD 40FT1U

#75 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:05 AM

:goodjob:

Well said, richlife.

#76 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:24 AM

t-shirt for Rich .... :up_to_som

Attached Thumbnails

• Jul062007Fri011459PM9677front.jpg

#77 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:24 AM

+1 my man

So far all I've read is a few self-centered people saying that we should stop asking for DLB because they don't want it or don't use it. As others have said, I could say the same about VOD, CID, or even CC, but instead I welcome them because I might at some point be interested and there are a lot of people (even though possibly a minority of viewers) who do want them and who value them. Why pan a feature because it's not your favorite? Why try to ridicule or put down those who clearly have very good reasons for wanting DLB or any feature?

My personal reason for wanting DLB is simply convenience. DLB is probably the single most CONVENIENT feature on a DVR. I watch TV to relax, not to constantly setup recordings and worry about the details. The existing workaround is a royal pain in the butt in my opinion (and I'm a "workaholic" in all areans, not a lazy person). I simply want the convenience and ease of use that DLB provides.

I WANT MY D - L - B !!

JHEDA

we miss you EARL

[SIZE="2"]Hr-24
Hr21-700 
Sony kds60a2000 yamaha 750 DD5.1 via components
Samsung DVD player via hdmi..r10 in playroom:)

#78 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:29 AM

Having been around for an entire 10 days, i understand you havent reviewed the threads thoroughly. I personally ask Earl about every month or so if there is anything new and he kindly obliges...

And welcome btw!!!! consider spending $15 and joining, its well worth it!!!

/oh yeah.. bump

JHEDA

we miss you EARL

[SIZE="2"]Hr-24
Hr21-700 
Sony kds60a2000 yamaha 750 DD5.1 via components
Samsung DVD player via hdmi..r10 in playroom:)

#79 OFFLINE   Que

Que

Icon

• Registered
  • 632 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:44 AM

I WANT MY D - L - B !!

+1

I bet more people want DLB over VOD. I don't want/need VOD. When It comes I wish I opt out on it. Also wish I could opt out on the ads that download at 2am. No I don't want to watch a commercial on my DVR. I should hack it just to remove that ad line.

spam firewall