Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SD Video Problems @ AMC

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 620 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:34 PM

July 4, 2007, Directv HD, AMC, Movie "Long Hot Summer",
Video is blurry and generally subpar for AMC. I changed HDMI cables, changed from HDMI through the AVR to direct from HR20 to TV yet no improvement. After resetting the HR20 still no improvement.

Could this just be a one off problem with that particular broadcast or.....?

All comments welcomed.
lp

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,908 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:19 PM

July 4, 2007, Directv HD, AMC, Movie "Long Hot Summer",
Video is blurry and generally subpar for AMC. I changed HDMI cables, changed from HDMI through the AVR to direct from HR20 to TV yet no improvement. After resetting the HR20 still no improvement.

Could this just be a one off problem with that particular broadcast or.....?

All comments welcomed.
lp

SD quality is HIGHLY variable. Sometimes it is watchable, sometimes it is just awful. I tried watching a couple NASCAR events on SD and couldn't tolerate it. Football is awful in SD, period.

I"m sure sometimes AMC will be better than others....and I would never do a reset hoping for better SD quality...very unlikely to help.

The other thing to consider is garbage in = garbage out....only worse...if you have a screen > 42" inches, SD is only going to look marginally decent on a very few occasions. There just isn't enough bandwidth allocated to it, and the imperfections due to the compression being used are only amplified by the size of your screen.

Aside from news, I don't watch SD at all any more....it's just too painful.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#3 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:39 PM

Aside from news, I don't watch SD at all any more....it's just too painful.

I feel the same way -- especially SD as delivered by D* these days, and most especially sports. OTOH, a high-quality SD feed (e.g., analog BUD) can look pretty darned good, even on a large HD display w/ good scaling/deinterlacing.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

Protected By... spam firewall...And...