Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is it D* or the broadcaster?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gregchak

gregchak

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:32 PM

I've now had a few months to watch the HD broadcasts of MLBEI. One thing that I have noticed consistently is the the FOX RSN's have much better PQ than others. Both YES and NESN are really bad compared to FOX; those are the only other non FOX HD broadcasts of MLBIE I have seen. And this leads me to the question in the title. If I was just watching the YES and NESN feeds I would be crying HD Lite, but seeing what the FOX feeds look like make me think otherwise. Both of these channels are out of market for me so I am watching them in MPEG2 (assuming). Those people in either the YES or NESN local market, do you notice the same decrease in PQ? Are you watching an MPEG4 version? It is very noticeable in fast motion; for example showing a player running off the field after the 3rd out.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,704 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 July 2007 - 02:05 PM

Odd, YES looks the best to me. Fox varies depending on which Fox Sports Net I see the game on. NESN is very very good but they must use some non-HD cameras as some of the closer shots dissolve.

I have gotten very little macroblocking on YES.

How are you hooked up? HDMI or component? What is your screen and are you running native mode or not? These could play a part as Fox is 720p and YES is 1080i. Not sure about NESN.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3 OFFLINE   gregchak

gregchak

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 02:21 PM

Odd, YES looks the best to me. Fox varies depending on which Fox Sports Net I see the game on. NESN is very very good but they must use some non-HD cameras as some of the closer shots dissolve.

I have gotten very little macroblocking on YES.

How are you hooked up? HDMI or component? What is your screen and are you running native mode or not? These could play a part as Fox is 720p and YES is 1080i. Not sure about NESN.

I have my HR20 connected via HDMI to my HDTV. I am not using native mode. I think NESN broadcasts in 1080i.

#4 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 02:21 PM

I have both YES and SNY in MPEG4 HD and both are outstanding IMHO. Before I got my HR20, I saw some YES games in MPEG2 HD and they did not look nearly as good as they do now.
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#5 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 02:27 PM

I have both YES and SNY in MPEG4 HD and both are outstanding IMHO. Before I got my HR20, I saw some YES games in MPEG2 HD and they did not look nearly as good as they do now.

I think that YES and SNY in hd are quite good, also. I have had very few problems with the picture. If I had to pick, I would say that the mpeg4 is better than the mpeg2, but they are very close.

#6 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,704 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 July 2007 - 02:46 PM

I have my HR20 connected via HDMI to my HDTV. I am not using native mode. I think NESN broadcasts in 1080i.

What kind of set? What is its display (720p, 1080p).

Try native on and see if it is better on YES. I really think YES on EI (Mpeg2) is the cleanest baseball I've seen, so I am wondering why you are having issues with it.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#7 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 04:21 PM

The Yankees games I have seen broadcast by YES are wonderful :) It is just like you are right there at the game in person :sunsmile: Now if the Yankees would start playing some decent baseball :(

#8 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:58 PM

If you are seeing Yes games and you are out of market then they are probably on 94 or 95 and thus they are MPEG2 and in "HD Lite" as some call it.

When you are watching your local Fox RSN in HD say off channel 96 or 97 then that is in MPEG4. MPEG4 isn't in "HD Lite" and should look better then MPEG2 HD across the board.

#9 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:52 PM

I don't agree. I find the YES broadcasts to consistently be the best (at least when the Yankees are at home). Some of the FSN broadcasts look very good, on par with YES; others look worse than NESN to my eyes on my equipment.

NESN and YES are 1080i, the FSN feeds are 720p (although strangely D* occasionally has transcoded them to 1080i).

As far as MPEG4 goes, we've had quite a few problems with our local FSN games here -- but when they broadcast a "clean" game, it looks better than anything seen on 94/95.

I've now had a few months to watch the HD broadcasts of MLBEI. One thing that I have noticed consistently is the the FOX RSN's have much better PQ than others. Both YES and NESN are really bad compared to FOX; those are the only other non FOX HD broadcasts of MLBIE I have seen. And this leads me to the question in the title. If I was just watching the YES and NESN feeds I would be crying HD Lite, but seeing what the FOX feeds look like make me think otherwise. Both of these channels are out of market for me so I am watching them in MPEG2 (assuming). Those people in either the YES or NESN local market, do you notice the same decrease in PQ? Are you watching an MPEG4 version? It is very noticeable in fast motion; for example showing a player running off the field after the 3rd out.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#10 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:53 PM

Certainly it's all dependent on the actual broadcast. Just like MNF on ESPN can look amazing one week and look like crap the next.

#11 OFFLINE   gregchak

gregchak

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:34 AM

What kind of set? What is its display (720p, 1080p).

Try native on and see if it is better on YES. I really think YES on EI (Mpeg2) is the cleanest baseball I've seen, so I am wondering why you are having issues with it.

Its a 480p/1080i CRT based TV. It does not do 720p and if you send it 720p it will upconvert it to 1080i. Since the upconversion looks better when the receiver does it I have native turned off. The still shots or minimal action shots do look very good. Its the motion shots that are bad. I have no idea why I don't see it on the FOX RSN feeds on 730-731. After seeing everyone's reply I watched the game on NESN (731) last night and saw the similar macroblocking/pixelation/motion blur that I had been seeing. Its also noticeable coming out of the replay transition effect they use. It sounds like this is just me.

#12 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,704 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:32 AM

As for NESN, they do not use all HD cameras. Some angles will look not so good with motion and the transitions in and out of replay do have problems. I was not thinking of them primarily since that doesn't bother me. (All those stupid graphics everyone does to go in and out of replays are just dumb, so I don't care if they sparkle or not.) The main live shots on NESN are pretty good.

But it is YES I am most interested in your issues with. YES has been consistently the best picture for me (especially as noted above, when they are home).

FSN varies tremendously on which FSN you are watching. They are not all the same.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...