Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

why am i suddenly getting 103sat signals so high?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:43 PM

i've read in posts and been told on this message board that hd locals are spotbeamed on the 99 and 103 sats. my hd locals are on sat 99 transponder 2. i now have a signal strength of 90 on that one. i get transponder 2, 4, and 6 on sat 99.

i discussed this a little bit last nite on here. but i'm still wondering why i'm getting more transponders on the 103 sat now compared to a few days ago....... and all of them at such a higher reading. before the few i got were in the 70's. now i get transponders 1 thru 6 on sat 103 at signal strength between 95-100. before i posted in here a couple of months ago i was only getting 70's on just a few 103 transponders. i posted that because i was concerned when the new sat goes up here soon it will be positioned in the 103 slot. earl i think told me the low signal readings were because of spotbeaming. but now signals 95-100 on transponders and on a sat that isnt spotbeamed to me???? is it possible dtv moved the ft laud/miami hd locals to the 103 sat or something else going on?

any feedback would be appreciated. just curious here.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:47 PM

i've read in posts and been told on this message board that hd locals are spotbeamed on the 99 and 103 sats. my hd locals are on sat 99 transponder 2. i now have a signal strength of 90 on that one. i get transponder 2, 4, and 6 on sat 99.

i discussed this a little bit last nite on here. but i'm still wondering why i'm getting more transponders on the 103 sat now compared to a few days ago....... and all of them at such a higher reading. before the few i got were in the 70's. now i get transponders 1 thru 6 on sat 103 at signal strength between 95-100. before i posted in here a couple of months ago i was only getting 70's on just a few 103 transponders. i posted that because i was concerned when the new sat goes up here soon it will be positioned in the 103 slot. earl i think told me the low signal readings were because of spotbeaming. but now signals 95-100 on transponders and on a sat that isnt spotbeamed to me???? is it possible dtv moved the ft laud/miami hd locals to the 103 sat or something else going on?

I can think of two reasons, one that you mentioned. The spot beams may be moved around some. The other has to do with your receiver. Do I guess correctly that you have an H20? If so, wasn't there an upgrade to the software that fixed the way it registers signal strength? Perhaps that is it.

#3 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:53 PM

i have an hr20-100. i did the CE release a couple of weeks ago when it was available. this change on the signal strengths on the 103 sat transponders has happened just within the last few days.....not when i first did the CE upgrade. how can i be getting 95-100 signal strengths on sat 103 and the transponders on it that arent even spotbeamed to me?

#4 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:07 PM

Dunno. I get locals off 103 here in Tampa (and haven't noticed any change, they're all at 97-100) but when viewing signal strength on 99 I can see the transponders for some other spotbeams that reach here (such as yours). Strangely, I have noticed that these 99 transponders have shown *reduced* signal over the past week or so.

It appears to me that D* is doing some type of adjustments to the spotbeams. What or why, I don't know.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#5 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:10 PM

i have an hr20-100. i did the CE release a couple of weeks ago when it was available. this change on the signal strengths on the 103 sat transponders has happened just within the last few days.....not when i first did the CE upgrade. how can i be getting 95-100 signal strengths on sat 103 and the transponders on it that arent even spotbeamed to me?

Well, even though you aren't authorized for the channels, you are under the spotbeams -- we've got a lot of overlap in the markets down here. I can typically see pretty high signals on 99 (even though my locals are on 103).

H24-200 -->

#6 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:36 PM

yah but to go from 70 signal strengths and only receive about 3 of the transponders to 95-100 signal strengths and now get 6 of them (on the 103 sat). something is up. maybe they are repositioning/adjusting things for the new sat that is gonna be going up.

#7 ONLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:45 PM

Well, even though you aren't authorized for the channels, you are under the spotbeams -- we've got a lot of overlap in the markets down here. I can typically see pretty high signals on 99 (even though my locals are on 103).

We have alot of overlap. I took my HR20 to my sister in laws a while ago in Punta Gorda to house sit. Her locals are on 103, mine on 99. I used her dish and recieved all the MIami locals 150 miles from home. I wanted the premium channels she does not subscribe to...

#8 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:51 PM

well...then according to my calculations based on how many transponders i can get on both the 103 and 99 sats......excluding my market on sat 99, transponder 2.........then i would have 8 other markets overlapping my own. (with the "outside" markets getting better signal strengths than my own!)

#9 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:25 PM

so i called dtv and spoke to a lead tech in tech support. they said the reason i'm seeing the increased signal strength on the 103 sat is because since the satellite that is gonna be launched here soon is gonna be added to the 103 slot.......dtv is widening/expanding or basically powering up the spotbeams on the 103....to get ready to broadcast the new hd channels to everyone.......and thus the increase in signal strength.

#10 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:29 PM

so i called dtv and spoke to a lead tech in tech support. they said the reason i'm seeing the increased signal strength on the 103 sat is because since the satellite that is gonna be launched here soon is gonna be added to the 103 slot.......dtv is widening/expanding or basically powering up the spotbeams on the 103....to get ready to broadcast the new hd channels to everyone.......and thus the increase in signal strength.

Interesting response. Doesn't make any sense to me (which may be my own problem with understanding), but interesting nonetheless.

Are your 99 signals still low? They're back higher again on this side of the state today.

H24-200 -->

#11 ONLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:52 PM

Interesting response. Doesn't make any sense to me (which may be my own problem with understanding), but interesting nonetheless.

Are your 99 signals still low? They're back higher again on this side of the state today.

I am in Laud also and mine(99) are lower than I like but I don't remember if they were ever
any higher. Changing around the existing sat 99/103 doesn't make sense to me either.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...