Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Big Ten Broadcasts in FL

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dshu82

dshu82

Icon

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:36 AM

Ok, I have read numerous threads about ESPN Gameplan, BTN, etc. I also dabbled in the programming agreements between the Big Ten and ABC/ESPN. I am leaning towards not re-upping the Gameplan, especially if not in HD, but am still confused about the broadcasts I will see outside of Big Ten country. I am a Penn State fan and the girlfriend is a Buckeye fan, but enough about my problems.... :)

any further insights?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:44 AM

There will be fewer Big Ten games on the gameplan this year. Mostly the ABC out of region games. Those that used to be syndicated on Gameplan will be on the Big Ten network this year.

You might get HD if the game is ABC out of market but not for sure. Also, the Big Ten network will be doing HD but it is not known which games will be in HD and which will not. The Big Ten Network is not part of the GamePlan but will be a standard channel DirecTV will offer.

You might want to buy Gameplan on a week by week basis if looking for PSU or OSU games that are not on ESPN, ESPN2, Big Ten Network or local ABC.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3 OFFLINE   dshu82

dshu82

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for the quick reply! Very informative forums here. Any ideas on cost per game for A La Carte Gameplan?
D* customer since 1997

#4 OFFLINE   mcaldero

mcaldero

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:59 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! Very informative forums here. Any ideas on cost per game for A La Carte Gameplan?

As I recall, GamePlan was something like $25 per day if you ordered it a la carte. That may be off a little, but it's close.

And whenever an ABC afternoon regional telecast includes a Big Ten game, it will be made available nationally outside of Big Ten territory via ESPN or ESPN2 -- thus GamePlan is no longer necessary for those ABC regional games either.

#5 OFFLINE   stlboilerdave

stlboilerdave

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 04:09 PM

There will be fewer Big Ten games on the gameplan this year. Mostly the ABC out of region games. Those that used to be syndicated on Gameplan will be on the Big Ten network this year.

You might get HD if the game is ABC out of market but not for sure. Also, the Big Ten network will be doing HD but it is not known which games will be in HD and which will not. The Big Ten Network is not part of the GamePlan but will be a standard channel DirecTV will offer.

You might want to buy Gameplan on a week by week basis if looking for PSU or OSU games that are not on ESPN, ESPN2, Big Ten Network or local ABC.

ABC regional games will not be on Gameplan outside of the main markets. They will be on ESPN/ESPN2. That was part of the new agreement the Big10 signed with ABC/ESPN.

There will be 0 Big10 games on Gameplan. There could be a slight opportunity for a non-conference Big10 road game to be on Gameplan. But, I would deem that chance rather slim.

#6 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:47 PM

How will the ABC games be on ESPN or ESPN2?

What happens to the games already on ESPN and ESPN2? Why would ABC/ESPN put the same game on two different networks at the same time, when they could make more money putting two different games on two different networks? This makes absolutely no sense.

More likely what you mean is that ABC games will also be on ESPN360, ESPN Game Plan, or available through ESPN Plus.

#7 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:32 PM

No. They did some of this last year with night games on ABC. Say there are two ABC games and an ESPN game. They put all three games on ESPN feeds on the satellite and turn off the one that is the ABC local OTA for you. So, you get two ESPN channels, regular and alternate. One of them is in HD, so it can make your head dizzy on what you get in HD.

I think cable just gets the ABC local OTA on ABC and the out of market ABC game on ESPN and gets one fewer game.

That is how it worked last year.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#8 OFFLINE   stlboilerdave

stlboilerdave

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:51 PM

How will the ABC games be on ESPN or ESPN2?

What happens to the games already on ESPN and ESPN2? Why would ABC/ESPN put the same game on two different networks at the same time, when they could make more money putting two different games on two different networks? This makes absolutely no sense.

More likely what you mean is that ABC games will also be on ESPN360, ESPN Game Plan, or available through ESPN Plus.

ESPN/ESPN2 doesn't usually have football on both channels during the 2:30pm time block. As the previous poster said, it has been done before.

The Big10 has positioned themselves well. There is no reliance on ESPN Gameplan. A fan will either get the channel on a broadcast network (ABC) or cable network (ESPN family or BTN) under the standard programming package (still in negotiation with some key cable providers but all set for D*).

#9 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 05:09 AM

I'm still not clear how this works.

Let's take the 3:30 slot on Sept 15 for example.

Let's say ABC picks two regional games: OSU @ Washington and FIU @ Miami. ESPN2 shows Texas @ UCF and ESPN picks Notre Dame @ Michigan.

So what you are saying is that if I live in Florida, then I will get ND @ Mich on ESPN, Tex @ UCF on ESPN2, and two ESPN alternate feeds: OSU @ Wash and FIU @ Miami (which will be blacked out since that game is on my ABC local).

That may be OK for DTV since they have the ESPN alternates set up for regional blackouts, since the satellite broadcasts everywhere. But the average cable company doesn't show ESPN Alternates. They only show the ESPN feed authorized for that locale. The average cable company won't waste bandwidth for alternate channels for out of market games.

#10 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 07:58 AM

The cable companies should be showing the B10 game in the regions not carrying the game on ABC as per the contract between Disney and the B10.

#11 OFFLINE   stlboilerdave

stlboilerdave

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 12:05 PM

The cable companies should be showing the B10 game in the regions not carrying the game on ABC as per the contract between Disney and the B10.

Yes, it's a deal with the Big10 and ABC/ESPN. The other conferences have no bearing in this. The 2:30 central Big10 games will be on ABC (in the designated region) or on ESPN/ESPN2 (out of the region).

#12 OFFLINE   TriggerDeems

TriggerDeems

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 12:14 PM

If you look on Directv's order form for ESPNGameplan online, it says the following:

Maximum College Football. Brings you to top teams, key rivalries, major conferences matchups, including the action from the Big XII, ACC, SEC, Pac-10, Big East, MAC, WAC and Sun Belt. Get up to 10 games each Saturday during the regular season. Enjoy the best coverage of college football anywhere.

Note, it doesn't meantion Big 10.
Trigger

#13 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 July 2007 - 01:55 PM

I'm still not clear how this works.

Let's take the 3:30 slot on Sept 15 for example.

Let's say ABC picks two regional games: OSU @ Washington and FIU @ Miami. ESPN2 shows Texas @ UCF and ESPN picks Notre Dame @ Michigan.

So what you are saying is that if I live in Florida, then I will get ND @ Mich on ESPN, Tex @ UCF on ESPN2, and two ESPN alternate feeds: OSU @ Wash and FIU @ Miami (which will be blacked out since that game is on my ABC local).

That may be OK for DTV since they have the ESPN alternates set up for regional blackouts, since the satellite broadcasts everywhere. But the average cable company doesn't show ESPN Alternates. They only show the ESPN feed authorized for that locale. The average cable company won't waste bandwidth for alternate channels for out of market games.

This is exactly what happened last year. D* had them all with a blackout of the ESPN that was showing the local ABC game. My cable company had one of the ESPN games (don't know how they were picked). The Big Ten contract throws a new wrinkle in, though.

#14 OFFLINE   caseymeeps

caseymeeps

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:53 PM

My head is spinning... Would it be fair to say that if I have D* (which will have BTN) and Gameplan I will be able to get all the Big 10 games this year?

#15 OFFLINE   dshu82

dshu82

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:00 AM

As of Friday I cancelled my Gameplan renewal. I will pay the a la carte price if there happens to be a game that slips through the cracks. Still confusing, but feel much better about my decision based on everyone's input. The fact that the Big Ten is not listed in Gameplan's promo per Trigger only confirms my decision.
D* customer since 1997

Protected By... spam firewall...And...