Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Multi-Channel Series Links??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   drx792

drx792

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:37 PM

Ummm... will we ever get multi-channel series links for a show like on Tivo. Like when you make a series link for a show it applies to ALL channels that show airs on, not just the channel you have selected it on. I expect my series link on HBO to work for HBO west if there is some kind of conflict. I remember that on the HR10 it varied back and forth between east and west feeds .
It would also be nice to have a remote dvr feature if your HR20 is hooked up to a network, like U-verse.

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:41 PM

IIRC... the only way to do that on TiVo was via a WishList AutoRecord.

Season Passes, where channel specific.

Once CIR is functional again, you will be able to simulate the similar thing with an AutoRecord Search.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,044 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:51 PM

you can use a keyword specific series record. I have Deadwood set up as a keyword record and it picks it up on any channel it appears. It grabs some obscure stuff like Travel channel occasionally, but that is a dash dash away from deletion.

#4 OFFLINE   drx792

drx792

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:58 PM

hmm keyword specific searches that could work.

i do hope CIR is functional again soon too.

Thanks Earl and armophob for the quick replies !

#5 OFFLINE   SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy

EOE

• DBSTalk Club
  • 515 posts
  • LocationNear San Francisco

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:36 PM

Once CIR is functional again, you will be able to simulate the similar thing with an AutoRecord Search.

Hmmm... the word "again" seems to mean it was at one time.... is that the case?
HS
D* user since 11/94

#6 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:38 PM

Hmmm... the word "again" seems to mean it was at one time.... is that the case?

On the R15 yes...
It was never enabled on the HR20
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   drx792

drx792

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:54 PM

this may sound kinda stupid, but i want CIR so i can remove the SD versions of locals in the living room. I'm sick of people in the house putting th SD on over the HD cause of the letter box on the commercial and some 4:3 stuff and because they are too LAZY to change the volume cause its DD and not everything comes out of the main speakers but all five on the A/V receiver. I got the HR20's for my room and the living room for the HD. So i expect everyone in my house to make use of the money i spent on them.

#8 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:24 PM

IIRC... the only way to do that on TiVo was via a Wish List AutoRecord.

Season Passes, where channel specific.

Earl, DIRECTV will still have to fix the Autorecord Title Bug for this to work. They stated in January that this had been fixed but as of today it is not. The HR20 cannot Autorecord on a Title Search as the OP is asking.

DIRECTV will also have to fix the Search Order Bug or you will be randomly recording the SD versions instead of the HD versions.

- Craig

#9 OFFLINE   waynebtx

waynebtx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,468 posts
  • LocationKingsville,Texas

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:34 PM

Earl, DIRECTV will still have to fix the Autorecord Title Bug for this to work. They stated in January that this had been fixed but as of today it is not. The HR20 cannot Autorecord on a Title Search as the OP is asking.

DIRECTV will also have to fix the Search Order Bug or you will be randomly recording the SD versions instead of the HD versions.

- Craig

HMMMMMMMMM i have Bones set to autorecord and it picks up on all the chs that its brodcast on also have house set that way both USA and FOX get recorded.

Wayne

Slimline dish SWIM16
Sharp LC-60E78UN
HR34-700/AM21 w/ Harmony 880.
1 C31-700

HR44-700

HR24-100

H25-100

Marantz NR1603 A/V 7.1

All Wired Networked
Xbox 360

Xboxone
retired USN , retired Boeing, retired L3COM, just plain tired

#10 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,054 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:22 PM

you can use a keyword specific series record. I have Deadwood set up as a keyword record and it picks it up on any channel it appears. It grabs some obscure stuff like Travel channel occasionally, but that is a dash dash away from deletion.

I agree about using a keyword search to get the desired results, but I would do two things:

(1) Try to add a category to your auto-record keyword that will either limit the channels or programs that the search will apply to (for example, specify Audip & Video / Hi-Def, or Show Type / Drama)

and

(2) Review your To Do list once a week BEFORE any recordings occur, and just press STOP on any title/channel pair that doesn't specifically fit what you're looking for.

This way, you try to prevent recordings you would just DASH-DASH away later, and try to avoid conflicts and using up space, which could force some programs to be deleted to make room for the auto-recorded programs.

#11 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,054 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:27 PM

- Craig

To ensure you record HD content over SD content, add a category "Audio & Video, High-Def to your keyword search.

It will look like this in the Recent Searches list: "BONES & Audio & Video, High-Def"

It will also ensure Bones is never recorded in SD. However, if the guide data for "Bones" doesn't contain "High-Def", you may get nothing recorded at all ... but that's an issue for the company that supplies the guide data.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...