Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Keep At Most 5

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   petergaryr

petergaryr

Passed away April 24, 2010

• Registered
  • 608 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:55 PM

I thought I've give you all a laugh.

There was a Dead Like Me marathon on Sci Fi yesterday. Since I'd never saw the original I thought I'd do a series link.

After several hours I started watching the pilot and suddenly, "poof" it was gone. I checked the playlist and the listing was no longer there. How rude. I was about to get worked up about the "bug" in the HR20-100, when the series link screen popped into my mind.

Yup, the recorder was doing exactly what I asked it to do "Keep At Most 5".

Not sure how many have seen Drew2k's helpful information:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ording defaults

....but after all this time owning the 700 and now an additonal 100, I didn't know you could actually set the universal defaults. Buried WAY to deep in the menu structure.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bto4wd

bto4wd

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 522 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:25 PM

Sure would be nice to have a KAM of 10. 5 is at times too little and all is too many.

#3 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,634 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:59 PM

I had done the same thing because I started watching "Dead" on HDnet and missed the first few episodes as well. I thought WTF is going on here.

#4 OFFLINE   Fish Man

Fish Man

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:25 PM

When I have a SL for something and a "marathon" of that show is coming up, I try to remember to bump the SL up to "keep all".

I don't always successfully remember... :(

#5 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:36 PM

I don't know why it has to end at 5. It's a dumb number. How about letting the person input up to 99?
Instead it's 5 or as many as your disk will hold.

#6 OFFLINE   petergaryr

petergaryr

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 608 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 04:33 PM

I don't know why it has to end at 5. It's a dumb number. How about letting the person input up to 99?
Instead it's 5 or as many as your disk will hold.

I think that's the problem with the default. It really should be "keep all" for the average user.

That, or unbury the configuration options so they are easier to get to. I would suspect that the average person hasn't read the manual and doesn't even know that it is possible to change the universal default recording parameters.

#7 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,245 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 July 2007 - 04:48 PM

Happen to me once would not let it happen again

JACK,

#8 ONLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 04:52 PM

I think that's the problem with the default. It really should be "keep all" for the average user.

That, or unbury the configuration options so they are easier to get to. I would suspect that the average person hasn't read the manual and doesn't even know that it is possible to change the universal default recording parameters.

Keep all as a default could be a problem. For instance, lastt weekend was a marthon for "The Closer". I think it was 28 episodes in HD, could have been a problem.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#9 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:13 PM

There has been a poll about this in the past, btw. I too would like more options, like 7, 10, 15.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#10 OFFLINE   bto4wd

bto4wd

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 522 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:32 PM

Something I never really understood is there's at least one byte used to store this info (I would guess). x00 - xff. Why not have it be a number? If you want 213 episodes stored you enter 213 and it stores xd5. xff equals ALL. I would think that would take less coding logic than if KAM = x01 then keep 1, or if x02 then keep 2.....else keep all.

#11 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:56 PM

Something I never really understood is there's at least one byte used to store this info (I would guess). x00 - xff. Why not have it be a number? If you want 213 episodes stored you enter 213 and it stores xd5. xff equals ALL. I would think that would take less coding logic than if KAM = x01 then keep 1, or if x02 then keep 2.....else keep all.

You would think...but then again why apply logic here?

#12 OFFLINE   petergaryr

petergaryr

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 608 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:02 PM

There has been a poll about this in the past, btw. I too would like more options, like 7, 10, 15.

Cheers,
Tom

Do you happen to know if anything like that is in the works?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...