Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Now That D10's Up, Any Risk To Losing "Borrowed" Locals In September?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   boltjames

boltjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 707 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:46 AM

For the past 11 years, I've lived in NH and have had the fortune of keeping my NY locals and RSN's having never changed the service address once I moved North from my mom's house.

I've got 2 HR20's, the proper 5LNB slimline dish, the "B" converters, and am currently receiving CBS/FOX/ABC/NBC from NY in HD as well as SNY and YES in HD.

After rooting hard for the D10 payload to be successful, I read this passage from the D* press release, and am wondering if there is a risk to my losing my beloved NY HD locals:

After the spacecraft is maneuvered into a circular orbit at 103 degrees West longitude and tests are completed, it is expected to begin operations in early September, delivering the first of up to 100 national HD channels by year-end. The DIRECTV 10 satellite's powerful transponder payload includes spot beam capacity that will enable DIRECTV to expand its local HD channel services to up to 75 markets this year.

I was told last year that the RSN's would likely be moving to the CONUS sat which was a good thing for people in my particular situation, but this "spot beam" capacity has me worried.

If anyone can let me know the latest info I'd appreciate it.

TIA

BJ
Sony 40XBR9 LCD 1080p | Sony 46XBR2 LCD 1080p | Sony 40V2500 LCD 1080p| HR20's | HR21's | D* Bring Back FTSTB! No 2 Hour Timeouts!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 07:09 AM

Just means that is has spotbeams to offer HD locals to more parts of the country, that's all. Isn't going to effect the spotbeams that are already in use on the Spaceways (other then maybe a shuffle) like with New York. And besides, New York HD locals will always be available on a national beam since they are used for distants. So in effect you could be in Nevada with a New York address and get the NY HD locals. Right now those are in MPEG2 in the 80s, with the new sat they can (and will) offer them nationally in MPEG4 as well.

Basically there is no effect for you at all.

#3 OFFLINE   boltjames

boltjames

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 707 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 07:16 AM

Just means that is has spotbeams to offer HD locals to more parts of the country, that's all. Isn't going to effect the spotbeams that are already in use on the Spaceways (other then maybe a shuffle) like with New York. And besides, New York HD locals will always be available on a national beam since they are used for distants. So in effect you could be in Nevada with a New York address and get the NY HD locals. Right now those are in MPEG2 in the 80s, with the new sat they can (and will) offer them nationally in MPEG4 as well.

Thank you very much. I can relax and enjoy the weekend now.

BJ
Sony 40XBR9 LCD 1080p | Sony 46XBR2 LCD 1080p | Sony 40V2500 LCD 1080p| HR20's | HR21's | D* Bring Back FTSTB! No 2 Hour Timeouts!

#4 OFFLINE   boltjames

boltjames

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 707 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 07:17 AM

One more question....

I've got a friend in LA that has a similar situation using his mom's NY address. He currently receives the NY locals in HD but can only get the NY RSN's in SD. Does this new D10 sat mean that in September he'll be able to get the NY RSN's in HD?

BJ

#5 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:48 AM

Does this new D10 sat mean that in September he'll be able to get the NY RSN's in HD?

Yes.

#6 OFFLINE   boltjames

boltjames

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 707 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 04:03 PM

Yes.

Great news. Thanks.

BJ

#7 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:46 PM

for what it's worth, a CSR told me HD distants would be turned off in early 2008.

Remember - this was from a CSR; nothing official.

DirecTV customer since 1996

#8 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,703 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:09 PM

Did they mean the MPEG2 ones or all HD distants. That makes little sense as there are still white areas for local stations....

I thought the MPEG2 ones would be shut down by now, at least the West Coast versions. (Hello! That would give enough bandwidth to support NFL ST HD this year.)
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#9 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:15 PM

Since I've heard they've been replacing MPEG 2 receivers for West Coast DNS subscribers, i'd imagine it's just the MPEG 2 HD DNS that will be gone... and the MPEG 4 HD DNS will be subject to the same stricter waiver standards that SD DNS are now.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#10 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:05 AM

Seems logical that MPEG-2 West coast nationals would be the first to go. They did have a bit of a head start on the rest of the nation with equipment upgrades. LA is also allready on a LiL spotbeam. Just a matter of making the switch to a CONUS transponder or widening the beams footprint.

#11 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,081 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:56 AM

Did they mean the MPEG2 ones or all HD distants. That makes little sense as there are still white areas for local stations....

IIRC, and it has been a couple of years since I read it, the new SHVERA makes an allowance that distant digital signals can be delivered by a close local market. So for example, if you lived in a white area in SD, you might get Minneapolis locals.

A lot will depend on spot beam coverage. But like I said, it has been a while since I read it.

My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...