Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DLB - NFL Fans The Time is NOW!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DblD_Indy

DblD_Indy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:49 AM

Dual Buffer / NFL Fans “the time is now!”

I may be a vigilante but if we hope to have DLB on the HR20-700 by the NFL season I think we need to let D*TV know just how important this feature is.

I call out to you and ask do as I have, cancel the auto renewal of NFL Sunday Ticket®. Before they start profiting from a service we can only partially use.

We have seen great advancements in the HR20-700 the last 8 months but none that have addressed our desire for DLB. DLB is an issue which has been a hot button for many of us who are not excited about “gamer lounge” and “media share” and any of the other non-DVR related issues D*TV has been pushing in the HR20-700 recent upgrade packages.

My mom even turned on her unit the other day to get a message that she had no phone messages! Really do we need our TV’s to become our phone answering systems too? I thought, could be (wrong here), I “leased” a HD digital video recorder, not, a gaming box, or a MP3 player or a answering machine.

I just wanted a great, HD digital video recorder from the fine folks at D*TV. I just keep guessing where the toast will pop up when the add that feature…..ARG

So to borrow a phrase from Jim Rome it is time to “bang the monkey” and the best way in this case would be to hit him where it hurts the most…. His wallet!

So if you care about DLB as much as me, give them a call and cancel the auto renewal of NFL Sunday Ticket® Why have 8 games in your living room on Sunday when you can only watch just one, unless you are willing to limit yourself to two by recording them both (Boring excuse of an answer if you ask me)

I made the start this morning and made my call and as usual got the same great service from D*TV when I called to make what I thought was a simple change.

I have included a “script of my call” because I am tired of being made to feel like crud by D*TV support staff. Don’t get me wrong, they have often tried to make good by offering, discounted programming and discounted services to make up for their poor service, But poor service is just that no matter how little you pay for it, POOR!

The Call:

Take One Canceling NFL Sunday Ticket – :)

Agent # 100200754 - Agent Lee

Lee: Can I have your Name Phone Number and Password:
Me: (insert info)

Lee said he could not help me cancel NFL and needed to transfer me to other agent as his department could not handle this request. He then transferred me to Jim.

Take Two: Canceling NFL Sunday Ticket – :confused:

Agent # 196085 Agent Jim / Supervisor Name: Dow

Jim: Can I have your Name; Phone Number; and Password:

Jim said that he was sorry for the issue but he could not cancel and needed to transfer to a special group that handles NFL issues. This is where it gets fun.

Take Three: Cancel NFL Sunday Ticket – :nono:

Agent # “ X"-

“X”: Can I have your Name; Phone Number; and Password:

Agent X -Refused to give name and Agent number. “X” just angrily stated that she could not help me with NFL Sunday Ticket. When I attempted to ask her agent id and name she muted the call and then transferred me with out saying another word. ( :mad: )

Take Four: Canceling NFL Sunday Ticket – :(
Agent # 0196650 Name Amanda

Amanda was pleasant and able to cancel NFL Sunday ticket® for me. :) . She was even willing to offer her Agent info prior to me giving mine, seeing I was somewhat upset after the wonderful service given by “X” So…

Amanda: Can I have your Name; Phone Number; and Password:

She stated that she, was very sorry for the entire mess and mentioned if an interested D*TV employee wanted to know who refused to attempt service (“X”) that the login for that agent did show in the call documentation.

She was able to cancel the service as requested - :grin:
DblD_Indy "Save DLB, Save the World"

DirecTV Ka/Ku 5 LNB Satellite Dish
Zinwell WB68
AR HDMI 12' Model AP086
DVR2 / R10 / HR20-700
Hitachi 65F59 Software Version # Main V0001.3000
Toys
Xbox 360 / Wii
Creative Zen Vision:M
T-Mobile G1

:nono2: "Without TV, it is hard to know when one day ends and another begins". - Homer J.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,337 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:55 AM

It seems to me that if you cancel auto-renewal, that you're the one that will get hit in the pocketbook, not DIRECTV.

#3 OFFLINE   jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:21 AM

Wow -

This is an interesting post. I am not sure how the mods will take to a call for canceling D* services. I don't have ST so I can't follow suit.

I guess if people were going to do this and have it actually get D*'s attention, they had better make sure that their reason for canceling gets documented in the call.

It's my experience, that the best way to get a companies attention, is through their pocket book.

I agree with the OP on this, however, I do have one concern:

If D* decided that DBSTalk was no longer benefiting them, would they pull the plug on the CE program? Now - I think that in this online culture of Power to the People, that would really s$%#.

But - we have to be realistic about how D* would respond to the masses should people jump on this bandwagon.

Wouldn't all this be much easier if D* would just come out and tell us their plans for the future regarding DLB?

EDIT: BTW - I don't envy the mods on deciding what to do with this thread.
JayW
- - - - - -
Please vote for this application

Samsung LCD
Stand Alone TiVo Premeire
and a TON of HD

#4 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:27 AM

:beatdeadhorse:

#5 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:43 AM

I don't have NFL Sunday Ticket either, but really would like DLB. This is a must when watching several baseball or hockey games at once. The record each and rewind and play, etc. method is not DLB. This is only a response (bad one, too) to a feature D* opted NOT to provide with the HR-20. I also agree.. I am leasing a DVR. I want my DVR to work properly and have the features a DVR should have. DLB is one of them.

You have to scan around to get to the part you want instead of simply following two live sporting events.

I want my DLB!
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#6 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:48 AM

+1 Jay...I have to say after being offended by the DLB posts lately, despite being one of its most vociferous proponents, the OP here is well thought calmly expressed and intelligently written.

I also agree with Jay that as this site makes inroads, to form a boycott may be disconcerning with our D* "partners".

As Jay says maybe its time for official word from D ... i know they hear us, i know most are sick of this topic, but it may quell the chatter....

Also I propose again that the dlb poll thread started by que be made a sticky, and that be, more or less, the sole site for DLB whining, complaining thinking etc.

Just one posters thoughts.....

Wow -

This is an interesting post. I am not sure how the mods will take to a call for canceling D* services. I don't have ST so I can't follow suit.

I guess if people were going to do this and have it actually get D*'s attention, they had better make sure that their reason for canceling gets documented in the call.

It's my experience, that the best way to get a companies attention, is through their pocket book.

I agree with the OP on this, however, I do have one concern:

If D* decided that DBSTalk was no longer benefiting them, would they pull the plug on the CE program? Now - I think that in this online culture of Power to the People, that would really s$%#.

But - we have to be realistic about how D* would respond to the masses should people jump on this bandwagon.

Wouldn't all this be much easier if D* would just come out and tell us their plans for the future regarding DLB?

EDIT: BTW - I don't envy the mods on deciding what to do with this thread.

JHEDA

we miss you EARL

[SIZE="2"]Hr-24
Hr21-700 
Sony kds60a2000 yamaha 750 DD5.1 via components
Samsung DVD player via hdmi..r10 in playroom:)

#7 OFFLINE   jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:55 AM

Also I propose again that the dlb poll thread started by que be made a sticky, and that be, more or less, the sole site for DLB whining, complaining thinking etc.

Just one posters thoughts.....

+1 - a DLB sticky may be the way to go at this point.
JayW
- - - - - -
Please vote for this application

Samsung LCD
Stand Alone TiVo Premeire
and a TON of HD

#8 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:56 AM

First off, let me start by saying that when I had a Tivo in the living room, I did find myself using the DLB quite a bit, especially when the Sharks were on opposite something that the wife wanted to watch...

However, a few comments in regards to the OP...

First, if you have DLB, you have game A buffering and game B buffering... As soon as you change either channel to game C, you've lost the buffer on that channel.... I fail to see how this is all that different than RECORDING game A, watching game B live with a buffer. As soon as you change game B to game C, the buffer is gone... It might not be as convenient to switch between game A and game B/C, but in effect, it seems to me the end result is nearly the same.... is it not?

I understand there are ALOT of you who are dying for this feature, and my intention is not to belittle your desires... It simply eludes me as to why the difference is so earth shattering... If you can explain it to me, please do....

The second point I have to make to the OP is this... if you want to "boycott" D*, and "hit them in the wallet"... good luck to you... I think we tend to forget that this forum is a VERY small subsection of D* subscribers as a whole, and while this group may have higher average bills, we also have been comped more equipment (as noted by all the "what deal did you get" threads). That being said, a handful of DBStalk patrons cancelling their NFL ST isn't going to hurt too bad. I would be willing to bet that for every one person you convince to cancel, there are two more being lured to D* by the promise of NFL ST and all the extra HD channels coming soon...

At this point, a "walkout" is going to have about the same effect the Pittsburg Pirates fans walkout had a few weeks ago... A few hundred people who walked out after the 3rd inning... wearing green shirts to signify "money walking out the gate". Of course, a few hundred out of a packed crowd of 36,000 just gave everybody a good chuckle, and life goes on as usual....

Seriously, if you want to get their attention, start a letter writing campaign... you get several thousand people willing to send a certified letter to D* once a day or once a week, and whoever has to sign for all those letters is sure to make sure they get to where they're supposed to go... But a fraction of subscribers cancelling because of a feature that A) No D* made box has and B) they never promised.... I don't see that being real effective...

#9 OFFLINE   waynebtx

waynebtx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationKingsville,Texas

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:00 AM

:beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: [quote name='jheda']+1 Jay...I have to say after being offended by the DLB posts latelyQUOTE]

+1

Wayne

Slimline dish SWIM16
Sharp LC-60E78UN
HD-A30 w/ Harmony 880
HR34-700/AM21 w/ Harmony 880.
1 C31-700

HR44-200

HR24-100

H25-100

Marantz NR1603 A/V 7.1

All Wired Networked
Xbox 360
retired USN , retired Boeing, retired L3COM, just plain tired

#10 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 12:22 PM

I thought, could be (wrong here), I “leased” a HD digital video recorder, not, a gaming box, or a MP3 player or a answering machine.

First, you are 100% correct. You leased a digital video RECORDER, not a dual live television viewer. :grin:

and

:beatdeadhorse: :bang
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#11 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 12:25 PM

First, you are 100% correct. You leased a digital video RECORDER, not a dual live television viewer. :grin:

and

:beatdeadhorse: :bang

+1
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#12 OFFLINE   DblD_Indy

DblD_Indy

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 01:06 PM

Let me try to answer a few remarks in one post.

1) Harsh-, If I cancel “auto renew” on NFL it will not automatically renew on my account and automatically bill me for this season.

2) Jay, thanks for the WOW and positive comments on my writing. I have been reading your writing since I joined DBSTalk and seriously appreciate your opinion.

3) Mods-If you believe in the freedom of speech all I have stated is facts. If you want to contact D and look up my account to verify my statement I would be happy to provide you my account info so you can verify the conversation. My guess is that at least 1 Mod is employed by D*TV and can check it out. I am not saying I have not gotten “offers” from D*TV to try to correct the issues, just that they continue.

4) I would like to get a final and official response from D*TV on DLB, yes or no ? As long as they leave the issue open the horse is not dead, it just smells bad and makes some of us nauseous at the site of it.

5) I just feel that they are more concerned about features not related to Digital Video Recording then making a great DVR. I just don’t see what would be wrong with doing one thing and making it the best in the business.
6) Finally-as a person that has had over 5 years of high volume CSR work under his hat I personally have tried as much as possible to offer high quality service to my clients.

a. I only expect that when you need to make a simple change like adding or removing a feature to a TV Service it should only take one or two agents to get it done.
b. I know most places now have level one that is call screening and classification and level two would normally be resolution, and after that the only need to transfer was if hardware would need to be replaced.
c. I also know that in my last eight months of dealing with D*TV the average transfer rate has been at least three including a number of times I have been hung-up on.

7) I am not trying to “flame” on D*TV because I am sure Dis*, ComCraft and the other providers also have their moments. I just am exhausted at having to sit on the phone 30 min. to take care of a five min task.

8) As for what would D*TV do with the CE program if we start canceling parts of our service, I think DBSTalk does more for D*TV via the CE program than they would like to admit. Seriously, what a wonderful way of testing your software versions. There is probably not a single Microsoft enterprise Admin who would not LOVE to have as large and active test lab as the one provided by DBSTalk has provided D*TV.

9) Finally that is why I posted this issue out here than rather in the Cutting Edge forum. It is more a generic HR20-700 issue then a cutting edge one. I figured out here I would have the best chance of keeping the post alive.

10) And yes they do read these posts because my HD package just disappeared? Please explain that? .I guess I have to make one more hour long phone call just to get my service right. I guess "X" got to read my post.

Zinwell WB68
AR HDMI 12' Model AP086
DVR2 / R10 / HR20-700
Toys
Xbox 360 / Wii
T-Mobile G1

:nono2: "Without TV, it is hard to know when one day ends and another begins". - Homer J.

#13 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 01:33 PM

I don't have Sunday Ticket and don't care about DLB.
Who do I call? :grin:
Favorite Quotes:
"Don't fry bacon naked" - Janet Campbell (circa 1995)
"My head do stink" - Tommy Early (2003)
"Ya'll ain't got no more money?!" - Exotic Dancer (2004)

#14 OFFLINE   Keeska

Keeska

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:28 PM

As long as they leave the issue open the horse is not dead, it just smells bad and makes some of us nauseous at the site of it.

And it makes some of us nauseous seeing every 3rd post someone complaining about lack of 2nd buffer. How aobut you call DirecTV every hour/day/whatever and tell them instead of forcing those of us who care to discuss something else to wade through the constant DLB threads.

#15 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:53 PM

First off, I've stated I want DLB very much too. And I'm generally in favor of ensuring that DIRECTV is aware that many of us do. And I'm glad we allow creativity and innovation to grow at DBSTalk.com and that we allow this discussion to continue.

What I do not want is this one topic to take over the entire forum with many, many threads that duplicate, not innovate. So lets keep it to the poll and a discussion thread, ok? We can be far more creative that way; spreading our interest over too many threads dilutes our efforts significantly!

And a comment about "freedom of speech". We are not a government agency, we are a private corporation that can restrict commentary in anyway that makes sense to us. Our basic rules are simple: No sex, politics, or religion; be polite to other members which means don't spam and don't insult; don't talk about suing corporations; and don't question publicly any moderation. (You are very welcome to question a moderator about his or her non-moderation statements and to privately ask about moderation. I'm proud that we allow these particularly, some sites had a tendency to band people who said anything a moderator disliked. Very bad form!)

This topic is not a violation of these simple rules, so it is very welcome here. But please, for the sake of the topic itself, the sake of the readers, and for easier moderation, lets keep it to two threads. We can be more powerful if focused.

Fair 'nuff?

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#16 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 04:07 PM

Tom.......see our one post only thread...as a sticky....what say you?

First off, I've stated I want DLB very much too. And I'm generally in favor of ensuring that DIRECTV is aware that many of us do. And I'm glad we allow creativity and innovation to grow at DBSTalk.com and that we allow this discussion to continue.

What I do not want is this one topic to take over the entire forum with many, many threads that duplicate, not innovate. So lets keep it to the poll and a discussion thread, ok? We can be far more creative that way; spreading our interest over too many threads dilutes our efforts significantly!

And a comment about "freedom of speech". We are not a government agency, we are a private corporation that can restrict commentary in anyway that makes sense to us. Our basic rules are simple: No sex, politics, or religion; be polite to other members which means don't spam and don't insult; don't talk about suing corporations; and don't question publicly any moderation. (You are very welcome to question a moderator about his or her non-moderation statements and to privately ask about moderation. I'm proud that we allow these particularly, some sites had a tendency to band people who said anything a moderator disliked. Very bad form!)

This topic is not a violation of these simple rules, so it is very welcome here. But please, for the sake of the topic itself, the sake of the readers, and for easier moderation, lets keep it to two threads. We can be more powerful if focused.

Fair 'nuff?

Cheers,
Tom

JHEDA

we miss you EARL

[SIZE="2"]Hr-24
Hr21-700 
Sony kds60a2000 yamaha 750 DD5.1 via components
Samsung DVD player via hdmi..r10 in playroom:)

#17 OFFLINE   puffnstuff

puffnstuff

Icon

• Registered
  • 746 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 04:20 PM

And it makes some of us nauseous seeing every 3rd post someone complaining about lack of 2nd buffer. How aobut you call DirecTV every hour/day/whatever and tell them instead of forcing those of us who care to discuss something else to wade through the constant DLB threads.

Then why do you even read ones with DLB in the title . I don't read any with CC in the title because it doesn't pertain to me . So until there is sticky skip um .

#18 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 05:15 PM

I have Sunday Ticket and no way in h@ll am I canceling it, it IS my hobby. I don't need DLB to enjoy it. Got used to not having DLB the past 4 years since I've had only a non DVR HD receiver to watch it on. So last season when the HR20 was used, no difference.

3 receivers
2 TVs
PIP
All I need. :D

#19 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 05:17 PM

I have Sunday Ticket and no way in h@ll am I canceling it, it IS my hobby. I don't need DLB to enjoy it. Got used to not having DLB the past 4 years since I've had only a non DVR HD receiver to watch it on. So last season when the HR20 was used, no difference.

3 receivers
2 TVs
PIP
All I need. :D

I agree. Instead of using DLB for football I just have 4 TV's set up.

#20 OFFLINE   DblD_Indy

DblD_Indy

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 05:28 PM

I don't have Sunday Ticket and don't care about DLB.
Who do I call? :grin:

For you I would start with Teresa Earnhardt, Like D*TV lossing DLB She is lost her #1 too.

Btw: The 8 will go free, but how does the Sony #8 Car sound?

I will put my $$$ on the # 20 tonight!

Peace to you, Jr fan!

OUT!

Zinwell WB68
AR HDMI 12' Model AP086
DVR2 / R10 / HR20-700
Toys
Xbox 360 / Wii
T-Mobile G1

spam firewall