Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Proposed DLB Sticky: Dual Live Buffers (DLB) Catch All Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
107 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:35 PM

using a plain English descriptor in the thread title in lieu of "DLB" would be a good idea.
BJ

Excellent suggestion. In the vein of the "Why your local channel isn't in HD and who to complain to!" sticky in the DirecTV Programming Q&A subforum.

Thread title suggestions, anyone?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   boltjames

boltjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 707 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:39 PM

No one ever said all, BJ, just many. ;)

I'm with you now. Just ordered me a bunch of these; PM me if you want one.

Posted Image

BJ
Sony 40XBR9 LCD 1080p | Sony 46XBR2 LCD 1080p | Sony 40V2500 LCD 1080p| HR20's | HR21's | D* Bring Back FTSTB! No 2 Hour Timeouts!

#103 OFFLINE   boltjames

boltjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 707 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:43 PM

Ah, and in a 2 for 1 special, I'll offer this one too.

Posted Image

BJ
Sony 40XBR9 LCD 1080p | Sony 46XBR2 LCD 1080p | Sony 40V2500 LCD 1080p| HR20's | HR21's | D* Bring Back FTSTB! No 2 Hour Timeouts!

#104 OFFLINE   boltjames

boltjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 707 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:44 PM

This one, especially for the newbs, free of charge with any order.

Posted Image

BJ

#105 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:09 AM

This one, especially for the newbs, free of charge with any order.

Posted Image

BJ

And there is always the forum info here: http://www.dbstalk.com/acronyms.htm
A.K.A VOS

#106 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,783 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:16 AM

Excellent suggestion. In the vein of the "Why your local channel isn't in HD and who to complain to!" sticky in the DirecTV Programming Q&A subforum.

Thread title suggestions, anyone?

This thread title already has "Dual Live Buffers" in it, and if it becomes a sticky, I'm not sure there's much more we can do to convey the meaning in the title ...

Dual Live Buffers
Dual Tuner Buffers
Two Tuner Buffers
Live TV Buffers

I try to spell things out whenever I can, but each community and culture has its own language, and DLB, or Dual Live Buffers, is a phrase in long use here at DBSTalk among HR20 users. To change it now would require a massive campaign ... or one post from Earl. ;)

#107 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:51 AM

Wow. Great Post. +1. If i wasnt already married...:lol: :lol: :lol:

AS most of you know, although im a physician and an attorney, i didnt have a clue what i was enjoying when i was enjoying DLB on my sddirecttivo until i got the hr20, couldnt perform the function that was nirvana, googled hr20, and made so many friends here since...So I am guilty of ignorance too, the ignorance that brings newbies here looking for the same answer i was 9 months ago, and then passionately, albeit sometimes counterproductively, getting on a soapbox yelling "i want my DLB". Its the cycle that wont go away.

And Earl, although not sharing in the passion, as done all we can ask to keep the messages flowing. So please, dont shoot the messenger.

Yes i love the HR20 greater then the feature, but im sorry, i havent lost the passion. Just ask Jeremyw :-)

I can give you my take, I suppose. (I want to preface this by saying that I realize that this is "just TV", but this is a DBS forum, and here, TV is everything. I have a life, a family, a job, and am reasonably fulfilled, with or without TV. So take this in the context of a TV based forum.)

One reason is the sheer number of users that want it. That certainly is part of it. A very large number of HR20 lessees, came to this box from either SD DirecTivos, or the HR10.

Particularly in the case of the HR10, the users were essentially forced to upgrade if they wanted to get their LiL's in HD. So, they get this box (that didn't work very well at the time), and it was inexplicably missing what many feel is a key feature, and at that, for no good reason. The thing has dual tuners, and the capability to record two HD streams, how was it possible that the designers neglected to include DLB?

Second, (and the part that I don't feel you yet appreciate, BJ) is how this particular feature changed forever the way many of us watch TV at a very basic level.

While, for me, DLB is most missed for sports programming, it was a feature that I used on a daily basis. Sure, I recorded lots of programs for later viewing. In fact, I would say most of my family's viewing was done that way. Primetime programs, movies, kids shows, etc...

But, I also like to surf. That's how I would typically find new programs I wanted to record. To me, and many others, surfing with DLB is television nirvana, and the Tivo implementation was really good. When I first discovered this feature, it was one of those "where have you been all my life" kind of moments, akin to the first time I hooked up my HDTV. Absolute bliss.

So that's another part of it, passion.

I understand, BJ, that you don't share that passion, but to understand why this topic is such a hot button, you have to realize that many do feel it, deep in their gut.

Lastly, the biggest source of annoyance, I think, to those that don't care about, or are actively against DLB (yeah, I'm looking at you JeremyW ;) ), is the sheer number of threads that pop up. So, why do these DLB threads tend to crop up on an almost daily basis? Because most people coming to the HR20 are coming from another DVR, and most of those DVR's had DLB. Whether or not the user knew to call it that.

Many, perhaps even most, of the DLB threads come from a new member, one that recently upgraded to the HR20, and the OP is often a very innocent question such as, "How do I switch tuners on the HR20?"

Someone replies, "You can't."

The new member, not knowing the history of the "Great DLB Wars" on this forum, goes off on a rant about the lack of dual buffers, as it is such an obvious feature of a dual tuner device, that most new users would never think to check ahead of time to see if it exists on the HR20.

And the flame wars begin..... again.....

Some new members get so PO'd about this (remember the passion part), they start spamming completely unrelated threads with their displeasure about the lack of DLB. Not being invested in this forum, they don't care that their actions are contrary to the goals of this forum, and many of its members. The moderators (rightly) have to step in to close threads, or ban users, and that's where it gets political.

This is why I think the idea to have ONE sticky thread for all things DLB is a great idea. When a new member posts one of these "innocent" questions, they can be referred to the sticky, and the thread can be closed before things get out of hand. Once on the sticky, the new member can rant their brains out to a sympathetic audience. No fuss, no muss. No spamming, no bans.

At least that's my take. Thanks for listening. :sure:

JHEDA

we miss you EARL

[SIZE="2"]Hr-24
Hr21-700 
Sony kds60a2000 yamaha 750 DD5.1 via components
Samsung DVD player via hdmi..r10 in playroom:)

#108 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:32 AM

All DLB Conversation is to continue in this thread:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=62118
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...