Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How good is HR-20's ATSC tuner for moderate signal strength?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:06 AM

Thinking about getting an HR-20. Right now I have OTA locals direct to my Samsung DLP. I live in area with acceptable but attentuated signal strength due to a mountain/ridge in the line of sight to the stations 20 miles away. Using a channel master 4228 antenna. (Analog signals have always been a bit snowy here.)

How good is the HR-20's tuner a picking up signals compared to most current HDTVs' tuners? Anyone had sucess or problems tuning stations with the HR-20 compared to direct to their TV set?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:23 AM

Thinking about getting an HR-20. Right now I have OTA locals direct to my Samsung DLP. I live in area with acceptable but attentuated signal strength due to a mountain/ridge in the line of sight to the stations 20 miles away. Using a channel master 4228 antenna. (Analog signals have always been a bit snowy here.)

How good is the HR-20's tuner a picking up signals compared to most current HDTVs' tuners? Anyone had sucess or problems tuning stations with the HR-20 compared to direct to their TV set?

I can only relate to you my experience. I have a large directional antenna on top of a tripod on my two story home (http://www.solidsign...sp?PROD=HD8200P) and I pull in channels easily from 45 miles away. I have a bit of disruption/pixelation during an electrical storm I've noticed. The HR-20's tuners are as good as the HR-10's, I'd say. Not quite as good as the H20's.
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#3 OFFLINE   kramerboy

kramerboy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 12:21 PM

I can tell you that the tuner in my Samsung DLP is much better than the tuner in my HR20. The HR20 does not seem to handle multipath as well as the Samsung does. I'm about 38 miles from our towers near Cleveland. The HR20 just seems to be more picky about what it thinks is an acceptable signal.

However, I would not let this keep you from getting the HR20, especially if you can get your Atlanta locals in MPEG4. The only one I REALLY have an issue with is our local NBC station that broadcasts OTA digitally on CH 2 (low-VHF). It hardly ever comes in on the HR20. The Samsung brings it in 95% of the time. IMO, the quality of the MPEG4 locals is VERY good. I really can't tell the difference. So, any issue that I have with OTA is really moot.
HR20-100s (Samsung 42" DLP) --
HR21-100 (32" Samsung LCD) --
AU9 Slimline Dish

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:25 PM

The tuner is great except for dealing with multi-path. Weak signals its ok with.

#5 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 03:22 PM

Thanks. Hard to say if I have multipath issues created by the mountain ridge. I'll give it a go and find out.

#6 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:08 PM

My HR-20's ATSC tuner pales in comparison to my Panny TV's ATSC tuner. I can get several DTV stations on the TV that I can't get on the HR20. Occassionally, they may come in, but are all pixelated in and out on the HR20.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#7 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:16 PM

I think the HR20 tuners are better than the HR10 tuners (at least on my HR20-100 model - not sure if the same tuners are used in the HR20-700). I have a few stations that come in solid while the signal level is only in the 40s on my HR20-100.

My Sony TV's tuners are better than either the HR20 or HR10 IMHO.
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#8 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:41 PM

I have tested this to some degree and have found very little difference between my Sony's built-in tuner and the HR20.

I'm 75 miles from (flat land) the towers and I use a roof-mounted DB8 with booster.

I split the cables inside and ran one to the Sony and one to the HR20 to compare, because I would get occassional audio drops and pixelation.

I'd watch the program on the Sony while allowing the HR20 to record.
When I experienced a problem on the Sony, I'd switch to the HR20, rewind and compare.
The drops occured at exactly the same points and to the same degree of severity.

The HR20's OTA tuner catches a lot of heat, and I was all set to jump on the bandwagon and slam it too, but the evidence proved otherwise, at least for me anyway.
Favorite Quotes:
"Don't fry bacon naked" - Janet Campbell (circa 1995)
"My head do stink" - Tommy Early (2003)
"Ya'll ain't got no more money?!" - Exotic Dancer (2004)

#9 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:07 PM

I think if you can get the signals with your TV (I have the Sammy 5687) you should be able to get them with the HR20, it just may take a bit more work. You may need to insert a small amp, or you may need to insert a small attenuator, depending on the situation. Then again, it might work just fine.

If the signals are there, (which they clearly are if you are getting it on your TV), with a little tweaking, you should be able to get it to work on the HR20.

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:48 PM

The one symantics issue I see here is I see a few posters who say it doesnt get the same number of stations tuner X gets, so its junk. Those statements really need to be quantified, as there are all kinds of reasons why one ATSC tuner doesnt get channel X when another gets it....there is enough dumbing down here already, lets quit contributing to it. Maybe reality tv will finally start to lose its grip so we can have some real tv again...

#11 OFFLINE   rbean

rbean

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:09 PM

The one symantics issue I see here is I see a few posters who say it doesnt get the same number of stations tuner X gets, so its junk. Those statements really need to be quantified, as there are all kinds of reasons why one ATSC tuner doesnt get channel X when another gets it....there is enough dumbing down here already, lets quit contributing to it. Maybe reality tv will finally start to lose its grip so we can have some real tv again...

I take exception to the quantified aspect of your comments, I have to many years of experience not to be able to say that the tuner in the HR20 sucks without putting up numbers. It sucks no ifs ands or buts, and Pal I "ain't" dumb. You knows what you knows. ;)
There are two sides to every issue, my side and the wrong side.

#12 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,436 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:38 PM

If the signal is solid but weak, it will pull it in. I have a cuouple stations that hover in the 30% range but are not bouncing around (no multipath) and they come in clean.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#13 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,609 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:15 PM

I get everything at 100% on the HR20, where I get 50% on my Sammy

spam firewall