Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

FINALLY! got the hr20 networked, now what?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phinfan

phinfan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:26 PM

Ok, after weeks of trying to network - hardwired- I finally found the problem, a kink in the cable. The minute I hooked it up, it read ok. So, now what? I cannot find how or where to look for music and photos? am I missing something? Thanks! E
HR20-700 | networked via hardwired | Native On | BBC's on | Theater room
H20 | bedroom
Samsung hls5687w
Yamaha RXV795
Hooked up via
component cables
Klipsh subs & sound
Tripplite SMART1000LCD UPS-line conditioner
and a host of other toys the
wife lets me get.:grin:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:29 PM

Ok, after weeks of trying to network - hardwired- I finally found the problem, a kink in the cable. The minute I hooked it up, it read ok. So, now what? I cannot find how or where to look for music and photos? am I missing something? Thanks! E

What media player are you trying to use?

#3 OFFLINE   phinfan

phinfan

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:31 PM

WMP11 Thanks!
H20 | bedroom
Samsung hls5687w
Yamaha RXV795
Hooked up via
component cables
Klipsh subs & sound

#4 OFFLINE   Sander

Sander

Godfather

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:32 PM

If you are one of the lucky ones, go to your Windows PC and open up Media Player 11. Click on Library and then sharing. You should see your HR10 listed there. If not, you may need to install other media sharing software like Twonkey ($) or TVersity (free). Setting up Twonkey or TVersity can be tricky, but if you follow the docs carefully, you should be OK.

#5 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:36 PM

As Sander said above the HR20 (not HR10) will show up as a unknown device under the sharing option in WMP11. You have to click on it and allow it. Then you should get a music & photos option when you go into the HR20 menu.

#6 OFFLINE   phinfan

phinfan

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:41 PM

You guys are the best! I got it! WOOHOO! BRING ON VOD!!! Thanks so much for your help!! I just need to play around and figure how to see more of the title of the songs.. Thanks again!:grin:
H20 | bedroom
Samsung hls5687w
Yamaha RXV795
Hooked up via
component cables
Klipsh subs & sound

#7 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:49 PM

You guys are the best! I got it! WOOHOO! BRING ON VOD!!! Thanks so much for your help!! I just need to play around and figure how to see more of the title of the songs.. Thanks again!:grin:

What software do you have? If you have the national release software (0x168) it has not got the GUI update for the media yet. So on the next national release update you will get the new full screen GUI and you will be able to see the song titles without them being cut off.

#8 OFFLINE   phinfan

phinfan

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:51 PM

Yes, I am currently only on the national release, have not participated in the CE's yet! I watch to see what happens, just not curageous enough yet. Thanks again!
H20 | bedroom
Samsung hls5687w
Yamaha RXV795
Hooked up via
component cables
Klipsh subs & sound

#9 OFFLINE   Nofences

Nofences

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:35 AM

Yes, I am currently only on the national release, have not participated in the CE's yet! I watch to see what happens, just not curageous enough yet. Thanks again!

Honestly, while there is risk involved with CE downloads you are covered by a few things. First it is a leased box, should something go horribly wrong (and that is a big if...), D* will ship you a replacement. If you dont like the software or it simply isnt working for you, just wait until the CE window has closed force another download and you are back to the NR. Also, Earl normally posts the risk factor involved with each CE, only once have I ever seen it above Modest. I don't think I have ever seen anyone post a catastrophic failure of their machine due to a CE,

Just my perspective I guess.
My Setup - Updated 12-26-11
AU-9 Slimline Dish
SWM-8
(1) HR20-700 | DECA | HDMI | 37" Sharp Aquos LC-37D64U
(1) HR20-100b | DECA | HDMI & Optical | 47" Vizio LCD | Yamaha 7.1 AV Receiver w/HDMI Switching
(1) HR20-100s | DECA | 42" Vizio VU42LF

#10 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:25 AM

Honestly, while there is risk involved with CE downloads you are covered by a few things. First it is a leased box, should something go horribly wrong (and that is a big if...), D* will ship you a replacement. If you dont like the software or it simply isnt working for you, just wait until the CE window has closed force another download and you are back to the NR. Also, Earl normally posts the risk factor involved with each CE, only once have I ever seen it above Modest. I don't think I have ever seen anyone post a catastrophic failure of their machine due to a CE,

Just my perspective I guess.

Nofences,

I would think the biggest risk is the loss of all your data (programs) on the HD from a CE release not actual damage to the machine. Certainly, bricking a box during an update is possible though.

#11 OFFLINE   love that tv

love that tv

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:42 AM

i have a wireless g game adapter, if i swap it out and hardwire my HR20, is the speed difference significant? its alot of work to hardwire, but it can be done if its worth it.

#12 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:47 AM

i have a wireless g game adapter, if i swap it out and hardwire my HR20, is the speed difference significant? its alot of work to hardwire, but it can be done if its worth it.

I have two HR20's wired and one wireless. With the media share I have not noticed any difference at all. I am not sure if there will be any difference with VOD or not. I don't think there will be.

#13 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:29 AM

You probably wouldn't notice any difference on services like VoD because the speed of your wireless G connection would most likely be several times faster than your internet connection's maximum speed. This, of course, would depend on you getting solid wireless reception without a lot of communications errors.

Internally you might see a speed difference when viewing pictures, but it would hardly be noticeable or worth the effort. A faster Hard drive on the "host" computer would probably make more of a difference if this is really an issue.

#14 OFFLINE   love that tv

love that tv

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:36 AM

thanks alot you guys, i was really going to go through all the effort, but sounds pointless. maybe when VOD comes out, bmoreraven can give a report on wireless vs. hardwire.

thank you

#15 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:57 AM

The time it will become noticeable is if/when the HR20 will ever be able to share recordings between other HR20's or when the HR20 is capable of playing video from your PC.

I use a G wireless currently for the HR20.

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#16 OFFLINE   elguapo79

elguapo79

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:29 PM

Sorry to post and not add anything constructive to this thread, but I just wanted to say that love that tv's avatar is fantastic!

spam firewall