Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

TNT HD Daytona race

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:37 PM

Are they seriously going to use this freakin screen layout and graphics they created for the SD channel on the HD channel as well?!?!?!

TNT is the absolute worst broadcaster to ever carry a NASCAR race. Period

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lance30276

lance30276

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:53 PM

it looks pretty freakin awesome on channel 75 on a 50 inch Pioneer Elite Plasma!

(all though if they would squeeze the bottom bar just a lil bit)
Lance30276 :)

#3 OFFLINE   ldmth44

ldmth44

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:55 PM

Are they seriously going to use this freakin screen layout and graphics they created for the SD channel on the HD channel as well?!?!?!

TNT is the absolute worst broadcaster to ever carry a NASCAR race. Period

THIS IS THE WORST NASCAR BROADCASTER!!! Screen layout sucks!!! What's with the annoying sound xf? Can't contact TNT as they eliminated the Nascar forum on their website (I guess they did not want any more negative feedback).
HR20-700 (Optical Audio, HDMI-DVI Adapter)
AT9 5LNB Dish / DB-2 OTA Antenna
Toshiba 32-HF73 CRT/HD 1080i TV
Linksys WRT54G Router / Linksys BEFCMU10 Cable Modem
Dell Inspiron E1705 Notebook w/ Windows Vista Ultimate & Windows Media Center
Sony STR-K740P Home Theater System
XBOX 360 Game Console
Samsung DVD-P231 Player
Motorola DCT 3416 DVR (Comcast)
Harmony 880 Remote

:goodjob:
"Here's to you!"

#4 OFFLINE   prushing

prushing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 487 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:58 PM

this sucks on HD, their commercial box is taking up half of the track, they need to move it so it doesn't cover the track, they are also not using all of the HD screen because of the crap at the bottom

#5 OFFLINE   LMckin

LMckin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:08 PM

at end of this Month it switches to ESPN/ABC on July 29 at Brickyard at Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Directv Subscriber From May 2003 to December 9,2013

Charter Cable Subscriber Since December 9,2013
HomePage

#6 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:13 PM

It is an awesome picture though, too much junk on the screen but the camera coverage is good.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#7 OFFLINE   twistedT

twistedT

Icon

• Registered
  • 778 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:20 PM

Can't comment to much on this because I was watching mostly Hot Pass, but from what I did see the PQ was really good. A little too much on the bottom of the screen. This format was probally better for the 4x3ers but not really good for us 16x9ers. As to the commercials its better to see some of the track then none at all.

#8 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:31 PM

OK, I'll grant you that they didn't use the entire screen top to bottom , but they did maintain the proper aspect ratio side to side, which meant they were presentd at a much wider aspect ratio... closer to Panavision. I liked the even wider view!

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#9 OFFLINE   twistedT

twistedT

Icon

• Registered
  • 778 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:44 PM

OK, I'll grant you that they didn't use the entire screen top to bottom , but they did maintain the proper aspect ratio side to side, which meant they were presentd at a much wider aspect ratio... closer to Panavision. I liked the even wider view!

Yes, its good isn't it, but us guys with 16X9 TVs have been spoiled with Full

Screen Action!! And we ain't happy loosing the bottom half or screen!!! :mad:

I guess I will have to get a bigger screen to make up for it!! :)

#10 OFFLINE   hookemfins

hookemfins

Godfather

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:54 PM

this sucks on HD, their commercial box is taking up half of the track, they need to move it so it doesn't cover the track, they are also not using all of the HD screen because of the crap at the bottom

As opposed to a full screen commercial and not see any of the race? I think on the whole it was better than what they normally run. Breaks weren't as long and you were able to see the race action. ABC does the same thing for the IRL. Not sure if they will when run NASCAR.

#11 OFFLINE   vertigo235

vertigo235

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:08 PM

HD still got to see more than the SD people, the picture was still cropped on both sides for 4:3 presentation.

In other words, it sucked even more for 4:3 SD viewers.

#12 OFFLINE   LR308er

LR308er

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:20 PM

I liked staying on the race during commericals, except during the cable breaks. A step in the right direction, and it keeps channel surfers on the race.

The new screen layout is just plain goofy, regardless of tv size. Way too much wasted space and the sound effects are annyoing and unnecessary.
At this rate, in five or six years, we'll be having to deal with pop-ups from Pepsi, Sprint, and Bonzi Buddy while trying to watch the race. :mad:

Almost as annoying and unnecessary are the fake on-screen signs for Start/Finish Line, Turns (last week's race), and other track landmarks.

If I didn't know where the friggin Start/Finish line was, I'd be watching golf or figure skating.

TNT's HD has improved, but their presentation is awful.
Favorite Quotes:
"Don't fry bacon naked" - Janet Campbell (circa 1995)
"My head do stink" - Tommy Early (2003)
"Ya'll ain't got no more money?!" - Exotic Dancer (2004)

#13 OFFLINE   n17987

n17987

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:54 PM

we lost 29% of the HD screen to these amateurs. you should have heard them on Sirius channel 128. Praises to everyone. maybe we just expect too much. A black and white 13" with no remote, it was so simple then. :(

#14 OFFLINE   dervari

dervari

Icon

• Registered
  • 777 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:37 PM

What really irritates me are the gigantic CGI pylons, like the one for the restarts and the ones that said "Turn 1", etc at the road course a couple of weeks ago. CHEESY.

#15 OFFLINE   tim32672

tim32672

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:27 PM

Did anyone else have audio fading up and down while they were talking? I noticed last week also but thought it was my TV (or I was hoping it was so I could get a new one still haven’t upgraded to HD yet,) but every other channel sounds fine…

#16 OFFLINE   MetroNY

MetroNY

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:10 PM

Hot Pass was a bad enough experiment but this is weak. That imposed RESTART pillar graphic at the start line is plain stupid. Reminds me of Fox using the hockey puck that would flame across the ice so you could follow it.

The only thing that would of made that race coverage enjoyable would have all Hendrick cars take each other out and end up on their roofs. Anyone miss Michael Waltrip? It's been so quiet and peaceful.:hurah:

#17 OFFLINE   Tom_Oliver

Tom_Oliver

Godfather

• Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:46 PM

I just watched this since I usually watch most of the race live from HotPass and record the TV broadcast for later. Usually because I can't even follow the race from the TV broadcast cause it's just recap coverage. Typically, the normal broadcast is so hacked up they really only have time to update you on what you missed before they break again. In addition, because they insist on covering pit stops, they will break just before any round of stops and break once they are finished. Meanwhile, they miss almost all of the good racing, since before and after the stops is usually when you see some of the best racing. Recaps just never give you the sense of any real racing however, because good NASCAR racing is about two or more cars battling for many laps, not just watching the actual pass.

I have to say this was by far the best TV coverage I have seen in years. For the first time since at least 2001, I was able to watch the racing as it developed and it was as good as what I usually get with uninterrupted coverage from HotPass, or InDemand before that. I missed almost nothing which is a ton better than it's been. Usually when I watch my broadcast recording I just laugh at how much the typical viewer has missed, but that was not the case with this race. THIS is how they should all be done in the future imho. I think it would even be better at the non plate tracks.

Now I will agree with others about the annoying poor graphics on my HD set, and they could for sure do some work there, but they at least have the right idea. That stupid restart pylon thing has to go! Whoever came up with that should be fired.

Oh, and another thing for the broadcasters, this race is the first time I have actually watched commercials in years. When I record the race I obviously just blow right by them, but since they were in a little window with race still being displayed I actually watched them.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...