Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How do you set up DishComm?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   saltrek

saltrek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:57 PM

I did a search and couldn't find this, and it doesn't appear to be part of the 622 review, since it was not an active feature at that time.

I have 2 622's, with one connected to a phone line. What are the set-up procedures/settings for the 622 connected to the phone line - and what are the set-up procedures/settings for the "remote" 622?

Any help is appreciated. if there is already a discussion on this, please point me to it, thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:40 PM

MENU 6, 1, 8 and the 622 will search for other DishComm units on the same electrical circuit.

Some remodeled homes have a split electrical system. If the other unit is on a different branch of the power companies grid (i.e, one on one 110v. half of a 220 circuit and the other on the other half), it will not be found.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#3 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 02:05 PM

The other caveat to is if you have you 622s hooked up to a surge protector, power conditionar, UPS they will most likely not be able to find each other.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#4 OFFLINE   AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie

Icon

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:27 PM

Some remodeled homes have a split electrical system. If the other unit is on a different branch of the power companies grid (i.e, one on one 110v. half of a 220 circuit and the other on the other half), it will not be found.

I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t know the manner in which the 622 uses the AC circuit for its communications functions. But if it uses the zero-crossing interval like X10 products do, then there may be a solution -- X10, PowerHouse, etc. makes pathway bridging devices that mount in your breaker box for curing those split circuit situations. Whether or not such a device would work for the 622 is another matter.

#5 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:34 PM

They also make a device that plugs into your dryer 220 plug that will brigde the two 110 sides. As AVJohnnie says, I'm not sure if that will help the Dish receivers but it does help the X10 communications if your house splits the incoming 220 circuit into two seperate 110 legs.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#6 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 865 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:57 PM

They also make a device that plugs into your dryer 220 plug that will brigde the two 110 sides. As AVJohnnie says, I'm not sure if that will help the Dish receivers but it does help the X10 communications if your house splits the incoming 220 circuit into two seperate 110 legs.

I bought one of those but it only made matters worse. Don't know why, should have asked for my money back but didn't and it is now in a box in the garage.:(

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#7 OFFLINE   saltrek

saltrek

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:09 AM

I went through the set-up menu and neither unit "finds" the other one. I didn't know if I was missing a step, or something. I do use surge protectors, so that is the most likely cause. Thanks for the replies - just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

#8 OFFLINE   cyclone27

cyclone27

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:23 AM

Is Dishcomm enabled yet?
I tried setting my receivers up with it about a month ago & it didn't work. I called E* & they said it would be a few months before it would be available. Thanks.

#9 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:29 AM

Is Dishcomm enabled yet?
I tried setting my receivers up with it about a month ago & it didn't work. I called E* & they said it would be a few months before it would be available. Thanks.

It was enabled on ViP622's with l4.01. Lots of problems with HomePlug (which is what dishcomm is) if you are using most surge protectors and any UPS. Sometimes houses have split power supplies that also can cause problems.

Note there are several HomePlug certified surge protectors, but they are a bit expensive.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#10 OFFLINE   AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie

Icon

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:20 AM

It was enabled on ViP622's with l4.01. Lots of problems with HomePlug (which is what dishcomm is) if you are using most surge protectors and any UPS. Sometimes houses have split power supplies that also can cause problems.

Note there are several HomePlug certified surge protectors, but they are a bit expensive.

At present each of my 622s are plugged into "Power Sentry" brand protector strips (the large AV version Costco used to carry in their stores) and the Dishcomm works – Well, at least the Dishcomm setup on each 622 finds the other receiver. But since they are both connected to Telco jacks as well (and there's no need for them not to be), I can't really say whether or not Dishcomm is really working "as advertised" on my configuration.

#11 OFFLINE   isuzudave

isuzudave

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:30 PM

I have two 622s using Dishcomm. I had to remove them from the surge protectors. The receiver that is not plugged into a phone line must have the modem type set to remote. I think it is "menu, 6, 1, 4".

#12 OFFLINE   allargon

allargon

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:33 PM

Call me nutty, but what are the benefits of DishCOMM?

I have a 622 and a 625. Can I transfer SD programs from the 625 to the 622?

#13 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:38 AM

Nope..

The benefit is the ability to share a phone connection. Ofcourse not all receivers support DishComm. But going forward more will and it will allow you to only have one DishComm enabled receiver hooked to the phone line and all the other receivers share the connection and don't have to have seperate phone connections.

It is handy if you have a receiver in a room with no phone line. But it comes with the caveats listed above.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#14 OFFLINE   allargon

allargon

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:28 PM

Nope..

The benefit is the ability to share a phone connection. Ofcourse not all receivers support DishComm. But going forward more will and it will allow you to only have one DishComm enabled receiver hooked to the phone line and all the other receivers share the connection and don't have to have seperate phone connections.

It is handy if you have a receiver in a room with no phone line. But it comes with the caveats listed above.

I do have such an issue. However, I'm leery of frying my receiver/DVR plus any equipment next to it just to save on an additional phone jack. :nono2:

Thanks for the info, Ron. I will pass on DishComm.

#15 OFFLINE   jkinghome

jkinghome

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:03 PM

I have (I think) set up my Vip622s for DishComm - both see each other. One of them is attached to the phone line, shouldn't I be able to get caller ID on the one that isn't attached? Also, how do I know that the one that is not attached to the phone line will not get the extra DVR fee?

Thanks!

#16 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:03 AM

I have (I think) set up my Vip622s for DishComm - both see each other. One of them is attached to the phone line, shouldn't I be able to get caller ID on the one that isn't attached? Also, how do I know that the one that is not attached to the phone line will not get the extra DVR fee?

Thanks!

You must also set the modem type as remote in your phone system menu (menu 6 1 4). Make sure you also test it.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#17 OFFLINE   jkinghome

jkinghome

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:40 PM

You must also set the modem type as remote in your phone system menu (menu 6 1 4). Make sure you also test it.

:( Tried that, and no joy... any more ideas?

#18 OFFLINE   Miner

Miner

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:03 PM

Fellas,

Unless I'm missing something, almost all homes in the US have 220 volt systems split into 2 110 circuits. At least all the homes I've checked out in the last dozen years or so.

Miner

#19 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:30 PM

Also, how do I know that the one that is not attached to the phone line will not get the extra DVR fee?

You either subscribe to AEP (no DVR fee) or you don't ($5.98 for each extra DVR). IOW, the DVR fee has nothing to do with the phone line. Each extra receiver has an additional outlet or lease fee that you can't get out of. Each dual output receiver also has a program access fee which can be waived if it is connected to a phone line, either directly or via DishCOMM.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#20 OFFLINE   jkinghome

jkinghome

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:13 PM

You either subscribe to AEP (no DVR fee) or you don't ($5.98 for each extra DVR). IOW, the DVR fee has nothing to do with the phone line. Each extra receiver has an additional outlet or lease fee that you can't get out of.

Thanks - I obviously stated the wrong phrase... and I stand corrected

Each dual output receiver also has a program access fee which can be waived if it is connected to a phone line, either directly or via DishCOMM.

but doesn't help my question on why DishCOMM isn't working...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...